Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #151
Budman68
Ten Point
 
Budman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Looks like I'm on the second hunt. Will send you a pm to keep in touch for updates. Buddy S
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2016, 02:26 PM   #152
Budman68
Ten Point
 
Budman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Any updates?
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-11-2016, 02:33 PM   #153
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Be in less than a month on the Exotic draw I won!
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #154
Budman68
Ten Point
 
Budman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270 View Post
Be in less than a month on the Exotic draw I won!
Heading down Sunday for mine.
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #155
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman68 View Post
Heading down Sunday for mine.
Very cool, save a few axis for me! Let us know how it's going!
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #156
Roamer
Ten Point
 
Roamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ft.Worth, Tx
Default

Any luck?
How did you do Muzzy100?
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2016, 09:25 AM   #157
Budman68
Ten Point
 
Budman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Heading south today, will let you know how it turns out.
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2016, 03:07 PM   #158
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman68 View Post
Heading south today, will let you know how it turns out.
Any updates?? Blinds have feeders or "designated" bait spots?? Type of blinds?
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-22-2016, 12:42 AM   #159
Codybarron
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default

They had pop ups with feeders 2 or 3 yr ago. You can bait ,they like Chaffhaye .My group got drawn for Jan 10th hunt.

Last edited by Codybarron; 12-22-2016 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: put in actual dates
Codybarron is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #160
RedBarn
Four Point
 
RedBarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Live Oak County
Default

Got drawn for Jan 10th-12th hunt also. Anxious to hear what people are seeing.
RedBarn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2016, 09:11 PM   #161
Budman68
Ten Point
 
Budman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Just got back on Friday morning. We only had one doe killed by four guys in 5 compartments. I was not that guy, I ended up missing high when I used the wrong dot on my crossbow.

They had five compartments set up with feeders. #1 is a rocky drive back to pond and an old church campsite. #2 is a thick area by the coordinators house that is pretty thick with hogs and one big buck running around. #3 is by the highway by some hiking trails. No sightings there. #4 is a large field that is probably the best spot, just hard to get back into and expect scratched on your truck. #5 is by the campground is full of doe, but they are skiddish.

I brought a pop up, hang on, and ladder stand. The pop up worked the best, but they will spy you at 60 yards. Over my five days of hunting, I saw about 20 axis and one yote in the stand. It's a fun hunt, but with a bow it's a tough hunt. Good luck and enjoy.
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-28-2016, 06:23 PM   #162
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Thank you for the update sir!
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #163
Txfire409
Ten Point
 
Txfire409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Labelle, Tx.
Hunt In: San Augustine County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation
Default

Heading up there this weekend for an antlerless hunt with my son.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 11:44 AM   #164
RedBarn
Four Point
 
RedBarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Live Oak County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfire409 View Post
Heading up there this weekend for an antlerless hunt with my son.
I assume you are rifle hunting? Let us know how it goes. I'll be there second week of January. Good Luck and enjoy this time with your son!
RedBarn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #165
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Which blinds have the most axis?? I will be there for the exotic hunt Jan 8-10!! Save me some!
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 05:55 PM   #166
Grant2
Ten Point
 
Grant2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Humble,Tx
Hunt In: Comfort, Kerrville,Sonora
Default

How do you get drawn for these hunts?
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 08:58 PM   #167
salth2o
Pope & Young
 
salth2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Atascocita
Hunt In: Delta and Harris/Montgomery Counties. Anywhere else I can.
Default Garner State Park Axis Deer Hunting??

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270 View Post
Which blinds have the most axis?? I will be there for the exotic hunt Jan 8-10!! Save me some!


Last year blind 9 was the honey hole for the hunt I was on.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #168
salth2o
Pope & Young
 
salth2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Atascocita
Hunt In: Delta and Harris/Montgomery Counties. Anywhere else I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
How do you get drawn for these hunts?


Go to Tpwd website. Hunting-drawn hunts.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 09:11 PM   #169
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o View Post
Last year blind 9 was the honey hole for the hunt I was on.
Thank you sir!
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-30-2016, 10:51 PM   #170
DH3510
Spike
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Default

Gotta get in on one of these hunts!
DH3510 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #171
Txfire409
Ten Point
 
Txfire409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Labelle, Tx.
Hunt In: San Augustine County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation
Default

Yes, we are rifle hunting. I'll post a report when we get back.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarn View Post
I assume you are rifle hunting? Let us know how it goes. I'll be there second week of January. Good Luck and enjoy this time with your son!
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #172
Deerguy
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

Looks like the youth hunt (12/30-1/1) went better than the antlerless/spike hunt (1/1-1/3). The kids (20 hunters) killed 3 hogs, 3 whitetails, and 9 axis. I was on the next hunt. Only 18 hunters, 2 standbys weren't filled because not enough standby hunters showed up, so 2 blinds were empty. All together, 1 hog, 1 fallow doe, 1 wtd doe, 1 axis spike, and 4 or 5 axis does were killed (think it was 5). There is another hunt going on now.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #173
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerguy View Post
Looks like the youth hunt (12/30-1/1) went better than the antlerless/spike hunt (1/1-1/3). The kids (20 hunters) killed 3 hogs, 3 whitetails, and 9 axis. I was on the next hunt. Only 18 hunters, 2 standbys weren't filled because not enough standby hunters showed up, so 2 blinds were empty. All together, 1 hog, 1 fallow doe, 1 wtd doe, 1 axis spike, and 4 or 5 axis does were killed (think it was 5). There is another hunt going on now.
Thanks for the harvest report. I am going Jan 8-10. I hope the deer aren't too spooky after being shot at from the same blinds for a month.
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #174
Deerguy
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

Too hot for most of our hunt. I didn't see a single deer, whitetail or axis. Don't know most of the specific blind numbers, but 2 axis does were killed from blind 7, he also saw a large buck. The fallow was killed in 12 and there is another still running around. The pig was in blind 4 (all of the pigs on the youth hunt were killed across the river). Four axis does were seen from Blind 19, but none killed. Nothing was seen at blind 16. Another axis doe was killed across the river, but don't know the blind number.
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 07:25 PM   #175
Txfire409
Ten Point
 
Txfire409's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Labelle, Tx.
Hunt In: San Augustine County, Big Thicket NP, Moore Plantation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerguy View Post
Too hot for most of our hunt. I didn't see a single deer, whitetail or axis. Don't know most of the specific blind numbers, but 2 axis does were killed from blind 7, he also saw a large buck. The fallow was killed in 12 and there is another still running around. The pig was in blind 4 (all of the pigs on the youth hunt were killed across the river). Four axis does were seen from Blind 19, but none killed. Nothing was seen at blind 16. Another axis doe was killed across the river, but don't know the blind number.
My son got one of the axis does. I saw three wt but no shot opportunities.
Txfire409 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-04-2017, 07:26 PM   #176
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Does the park staff drive you to your blind everytime you want to go out or just initially to show you where you are?
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #177
Deerguy
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Default

There are 5 trucks that take hunters out; you can't drive yourself to the blind. For the morning, trucks leave at 6 and pick up at 10. For the afternoon, trucks leave at 3 and pick up after dark. You can hunt all day if you like, but but no game retrieval till after dark. Or, you can get picked up at 3, but if you do, you can't go back out (they don't want to keep driving by other peoples blinds during the hunt).
Deerguy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #178
salth2o
Pope & Young
 
salth2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Atascocita
Hunt In: Delta and Harris/Montgomery Counties. Anywhere else I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerguy View Post
Too hot for most of our hunt. I didn't see a single deer, whitetail or axis. Don't know most of the specific blind numbers, but 2 axis does were killed from blind 7, he also saw a large buck. The fallow was killed in 12 and there is another still running around. The pig was in blind 4 (all of the pigs on the youth hunt were killed across the river). Four axis does were seen from Blind 19, but none killed. Nothing was seen at blind 16. Another axis doe was killed across the river, but don't know the blind number.

I hunted blind 12 when I was there. Beautiful spot right by the river. I only saw turkey.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #179
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Looks like the group out there now had some single digit windchills according to weatherbug this morning! Currently is still a windchill of 9!
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #180
RedBarn
Four Point
 
RedBarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Live Oak County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by .270 View Post
Looks like the group out there now had some single digit windchills according to weatherbug this morning! Currently is still a windchill of 9!
Good luck on your hunt! Let us know how it goes.
RedBarn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2017, 09:32 AM   #181
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Many thanks! Saw about 12 axis does outside my cabin this morning. Hope they are moving towards my blind down the road.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2017, 10:28 AM   #182
Budman68
Ten Point
 
Budman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Good luck! What part of the park did you draw?
Quote:
Originally Posted by .270 View Post
Many thanks! Saw about 12 axis does outside my cabin this morning. Hope they are moving towards my blind down the road.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #183
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Blind #3


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #184
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Didn't see a deer today, nor did anyone on my side of the park. I am on the Western edge of the park. Heard one buck was shot. Starting to understand the 8% success rate last year.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2017, 10:38 PM   #185
RedBarn
Four Point
 
RedBarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Live Oak County
Default

Well the numbers don't lie. Hopefully I'll fall somewhere in that 8%.
RedBarn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2017, 04:47 PM   #186
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Threw my blind back into the blind swap pool and drew a blind on the outside of the main park.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2017, 07:03 PM   #187
Budman68
Ten Point
 
Budman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Their funny. One day you will see twenty and the next nothing. Very hard to pattern.
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #188
WamBow
Six Point
 
WamBow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Madison County
Default GSP Exotic Hunt 1/8-10/2017

Just got back from the GSP exotic hunt. The super and all of the volunteers were very friendly and helpful. However, I did not enjoy the "hunt" experience at all. to sum it up in 2 words I'd say it was like "hunting prison". I ended up hunting in 2 spots and both had a feeder at 50-70 yards out with a 35" yard wide window I could shoot in. Once dropped off you have to stay in your blind until picked up. If you shot something that ran off you were permitted to go place an orange flag at the location you shot the deer or found blood and then return to your blind. The volunteers drove the trucks to drop off and left precisely at 6am and 3pm. pick up was precisely at 10am and 6:20pm. Out of the 20 hunting group 3 hunters had success on the far North side. The hunter at blind 12 didn't hunt in the morning, but saw and shot axis every evening. More axis likely would've been shot if another hunter was given the opportunity to hunt that spot in the morning. This was not allowed bc blinds could only be changed during evening hunts so that the hunter could have the flags for his "hunting window" pointed out to him...really?! The whole system was like a hunting program for infants. Also, I don't think blinds were arranged strategically to improve hunting success as much as they were to maximize the number of hunters that could be placed...more money. There're literally popups everywhere around the park.
Here's the bigger issue I have with GSP. They have implemented Helicopter hunting with a 3rd party to decimate axis deer on the park for the last 2 years. Last one was done early 2016. Article posted below:

http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20160208b

If TPWD is going to do this then don't have such large number of hunters out for these "baby" hunts. I'm not concerned with the hunting fee I spent as much as i am the "loyalty points" lost as well as time off from work and away from family...and travel expenses. I was up to 7 loyalty points before getting drawn for GSP.
I've hunted 2 other parks (Devils River and Guadalupe SP) and was allowed to still-hunt and come and go as I pleased. Saw far more game and enjoyed the HUNT...finding game trails, deer poop, hair, crossing patterns...using the wind to an advantage...stuff like that. I didn't always get a kill and harvest a deer, but at least I was hunting.
To summarize I don't think the GSP hunts are conducted with the best interest of the hunter nor the harvest. Seems to be more about getting revenue from drawn hunt dollars. The officer that spoke at the orientation made statements that they weren't making money on these hunts. Hard to believe given the volume of hunters they run through there per season.
I love that TPWD conducts these hunts at the parks...I'm also glad that the way GSP conducts the hunts is an exception and not the rule. Will continue to participate in the Drawn Hunt program, but will avoid GSP in the future.
WamBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:32 PM   #189
.270
Ten Point
 
.270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WamBow View Post
Just got back from the GSP exotic hunt. The super and all of the volunteers were very friendly and helpful. However, I did not enjoy the "hunt" experience at all. to sum it up in 2 words I'd say it was like "hunting prison". I ended up hunting in 2 spots and both had a feeder at 50-70 yards out with a 35" yard wide window I could shoot in. Once dropped off you have to stay in your blind until picked up. If you shot something that ran off you were permitted to go place an orange flag at the location you shot the deer or found blood and then return to your blind. The volunteers drove the trucks to drop off and left precisely at 6am and 3pm. pick up was precisely at 10am and 6:20pm. Out of the 20 hunting group 3 hunters had success on the far North side. The hunter at blind 12 didn't hunt in the morning, but saw and shot axis every evening. More axis likely would've been shot if another hunter was given the opportunity to hunt that spot in the morning. This was not allowed bc blinds could only be changed during evening hunts so that the hunter could have the flags for his "hunting window" pointed out to him...really?! The whole system was like a hunting program for infants. Also, I don't think blinds were arranged strategically to improve hunting success as much as they were to maximize the number of hunters that could be placed...more money. There're literally popups everywhere around the park.
Here's the bigger issue I have with GSP. They have implemented Helicopter hunting with a 3rd party to decimate axis deer on the park for the last 2 years. Last one was done early 2016. Article posted below:

http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20160208b

If TPWD is going to do this then don't have such large number of hunters out for these "baby" hunts. I'm not concerned with the hunting fee I spent as much as i am the "loyalty points" lost as well as time off from work and away from family...and travel expenses. I was up to 7 loyalty points before getting drawn for GSP.
I've hunted 2 other parks (Devils River and Guadalupe SP) and was allowed to still-hunt and come and go as I pleased. Saw far more game and enjoyed the HUNT...finding game trails, deer poop, hair, crossing patterns...using the wind to an advantage...stuff like that. I didn't always get a kill and harvest a deer, but at least I was hunting.
To summarize I don't think the GSP hunts are conducted with the best interest of the hunter nor the harvest. Seems to be more about getting revenue from drawn hunt dollars. The officer that spoke at the orientation made statements that they weren't making money on these hunts. Hard to believe given the volume of hunters they run through there per season.
I love that TPWD conducts these hunts at the parks...I'm also glad that the way GSP conducts the hunts is an exception and not the rule. Will continue to participate in the Drawn Hunt program, but will avoid GSP in the future.

I was there for the same time period and I agree with all the above. Not sure I will apply to Garner next year or after. Funny/Frustrating deal is myself among others didn't even see a whitetail, much less an axis deer. Perception of deer numbers and reality of deer numbers are not adding up. The driver to my first blind told me that last 3 years have been "pretty bad" as far as harvest numbers.
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #190
WinslowBoy
Four Point
 
WinslowBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts
Default

Some of the same discussions back when this post was started in 2015 (my posts included). This park is obviously much different in how they run their hunts than some of the others. Can be frustrating but it is one of few parks where you have a shot at shooting an axis. I took my son a few years back and we struggled. Anyone on TBH applying in the future hopefully knows what the hunt is like if they search past posts.

With that said, I've continued to apply. Love the area and I hunt E Texas so not many axis running around there. I guess my hope is if I do get drawn some day, I get the "hot" stand and lay down some axis. There are obviously plenty around (even with the helicoptor hunting) and just never know when you might get lucky. As far as "whitetail" hunts, it appears that the park has been taken over by the axis and have pushed most of the whitetails out. I think they assume more axis will be shot during the deer hunts than whitetails.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:49 PM   #191
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Johnson City
Hunt In: Hill Country
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WamBow View Post
Just got back from the GSP exotic hunt. The super and all of the volunteers were very friendly and helpful. However, I did not enjoy the "hunt" experience at all. to sum it up in 2 words I'd say it was like "hunting prison". I ended up hunting in 2 spots and both had a feeder at 50-70 yards out with a 35" yard wide window I could shoot in. Once dropped off you have to stay in your blind until picked up. If you shot something that ran off you were permitted to go place an orange flag at the location you shot the deer or found blood and then return to your blind. The volunteers drove the trucks to drop off and left precisely at 6am and 3pm. pick up was precisely at 10am and 6:20pm. Out of the 20 hunting group 3 hunters had success on the far North side. The hunter at blind 12 didn't hunt in the morning, but saw and shot axis every evening. More axis likely would've been shot if another hunter was given the opportunity to hunt that spot in the morning. This was not allowed bc blinds could only be changed during evening hunts so that the hunter could have the flags for his "hunting window" pointed out to him...really?! The whole system was like a hunting program for infants. Also, I don't think blinds were arranged strategically to improve hunting success as much as they were to maximize the number of hunters that could be placed...more money. There're literally popups everywhere around the park.
Here's the bigger issue I have with GSP. They have implemented Helicopter hunting with a 3rd party to decimate axis deer on the park for the last 2 years. Last one was done early 2016. Article posted below:

http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20160208b

If TPWD is going to do this then don't have such large number of hunters out for these "baby" hunts. I'm not concerned with the hunting fee I spent as much as i am the "loyalty points" lost as well as time off from work and away from family...and travel expenses. I was up to 7 loyalty points before getting drawn for GSP.
I've hunted 2 other parks (Devils River and Guadalupe SP) and was allowed to still-hunt and come and go as I pleased. Saw far more game and enjoyed the HUNT...finding game trails, deer poop, hair, crossing patterns...using the wind to an advantage...stuff like that. I didn't always get a kill and harvest a deer, but at least I was hunting.
To summarize I don't think the GSP hunts are conducted with the best interest of the hunter nor the harvest. Seems to be more about getting revenue from drawn hunt dollars. The officer that spoke at the orientation made statements that they weren't making money on these hunts. Hard to believe given the volume of hunters they run through there per season.
I love that TPWD conducts these hunts at the parks...I'm also glad that the way GSP conducts the hunts is an exception and not the rule. Will continue to participate in the Drawn Hunt program, but will avoid GSP in the future.
I just "got back" from the Enchanted Rock hunt and it was the same way, pretty much to the "T". I say "got back" because I hunted yesterday and then packed my stuff and left. Not going back and not going to put in for the draw next year.

Too many blinds, not strategically placed (literally right off the road, next to a tree), and only about one lane to shoot. Seems like it was 2 does and a pig were shot Monday evening. A pig, a spike, and 2 does were shot Tuesday morning and nothing Tuesday evening. NO one even shot. Also, after the morning hunt, our park ranger got his truck stuck, and I mean STUCK, so we had to wait for someone else to pick us up.

Sorry to hijack.
COACH_EM_UP is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 01:51 PM   #192
WinslowBoy
Four Point
 
WinslowBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts
Default

Forgot to post that back when we were there (2013), they didn't even have feeders. Just had to throw out corn/hay and hope the axis/deer wandered through.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #193
Budman68
Ten Point
 
Budman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
I just "got back" from the Enchanted Rock hunt and it was the same way, pretty much to the "T". I say "got back" because I hunted yesterday and then packed my stuff and left. Not going back and not going to put in for the draw next year.

Too many blinds, not strategically placed (literally right off the road, next to a tree), and only about one lane to shoot. Seems like it was 2 does and a pig were shot Monday evening. A pig, a spike, and 2 does were shot Tuesday morning and nothing Tuesday evening. NO one even shot. Also, after the morning hunt, our park ranger got his truck stuck, and I mean STUCK, so we had to wait for someone else to pick us up.

Sorry to hijack.
I'm sorry, but that guy running Enchanted Rock is delusional and somewhat lazy. As noted, blinds are basically on the road for his convenience. I had to chase my blind one day, because he didn't even anchor it. LOL
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2017, 08:53 PM   #194
Budman68
Ten Point
 
Budman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBoy View Post
Some of the same discussions back when this post was started in 2015 (my posts included). This park is obviously much different in how they run their hunts than some of the others. Can be frustrating but it is one of few parks where you have a shot at shooting an axis. I took my son a few years back and we struggled. Anyone on TBH applying in the future hopefully knows what the hunt is like if they search past posts.

With that said, I've continued to apply. Love the area and I hunt E Texas so not many axis running around there. I guess my hope is if I do get drawn some day, I get the "hot" stand and lay down some axis. There are obviously plenty around (even with the helicoptor hunting) and just never know when you might get lucky. As far as "whitetail" hunts, it appears that the park has been taken over by the axis and have pushed most of the whitetails out. I think they assume more axis will be shot during the deer hunts than whitetails.
I only saw two whitetail in five days. Most of the axis I saw hung out by the park entrance and by the group cabins. As noted, the hunt is not worth the amount they charge for it.
Budman68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #195
WamBow
Six Point
 
WamBow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Madison County
Default

Thanks for the input on enchanted rock. i'll avoid that park as well. it's a shame bc GSP and enchanted rock are awesome parks and i thought it'd be cool to hunt where i've taken the family so many times.
WamBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #196
salth2o
Pope & Young
 
salth2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Atascocita
Hunt In: Delta and Harris/Montgomery Counties. Anywhere else I can.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WamBow View Post
Just got back from the GSP exotic hunt. The super and all of the volunteers were very friendly and helpful. However, I did not enjoy the "hunt" experience at all. to sum it up in 2 words I'd say it was like "hunting prison". I ended up hunting in 2 spots and both had a feeder at 50-70 yards out with a 35" yard wide window I could shoot in. Once dropped off you have to stay in your blind until picked up. If you shot something that ran off you were permitted to go place an orange flag at the location you shot the deer or found blood and then return to your blind. The volunteers drove the trucks to drop off and left precisely at 6am and 3pm. pick up was precisely at 10am and 6:20pm. Out of the 20 hunting group 3 hunters had success on the far North side. The hunter at blind 12 didn't hunt in the morning, but saw and shot axis every evening. More axis likely would've been shot if another hunter was given the opportunity to hunt that spot in the morning. This was not allowed bc blinds could only be changed during evening hunts so that the hunter could have the flags for his "hunting window" pointed out to him...really?! The whole system was like a hunting program for infants. Also, I don't think blinds were arranged strategically to improve hunting success as much as they were to maximize the number of hunters that could be placed...more money. There're literally popups everywhere around the park.
Here's the bigger issue I have with GSP. They have implemented Helicopter hunting with a 3rd party to decimate axis deer on the park for the last 2 years. Last one was done early 2016. Article posted below:

http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20160208b

If TPWD is going to do this then don't have such large number of hunters out for these "baby" hunts. I'm not concerned with the hunting fee I spent as much as i am the "loyalty points" lost as well as time off from work and away from family...and travel expenses. I was up to 7 loyalty points before getting drawn for GSP.
I've hunted 2 other parks (Devils River and Guadalupe SP) and was allowed to still-hunt and come and go as I pleased. Saw far more game and enjoyed the HUNT...finding game trails, deer poop, hair, crossing patterns...using the wind to an advantage...stuff like that. I didn't always get a kill and harvest a deer, but at least I was hunting.
To summarize I don't think the GSP hunts are conducted with the best interest of the hunter nor the harvest. Seems to be more about getting revenue from drawn hunt dollars. The officer that spoke at the orientation made statements that they weren't making money on these hunts. Hard to believe given the volume of hunters they run through there per season.
I love that TPWD conducts these hunts at the parks...I'm also glad that the way GSP conducts the hunts is an exception and not the rule. Will continue to participate in the Drawn Hunt program, but will avoid GSP in the future.
My take is that there is plenty of info about how this hunt is operated, so anyone going in should be well aware of their procedures. However, with that said I agree the park could do make some changes to improve hunter opportunities/success. Make no mistake, they want the axis gone and I am sure the park loses some revenue when it is closed for 20 hunters during each hunt period. The info I got from park staff was that they do night hunts and have USDA staff with them to certify the meat so it can be sold. We saw lots of axis riding to and from the stand. What would be fun, is to have a safari style hunt at night for axis.

I asked to switch blinds on the last morning, but was told the same thing about the shooting lane. Silly, but their rules. I think they are extra cautious as GSP because it is such a popular park and there are some hunters that need that hand holding. A catastrophic event would be too much bad PR. While I was there, one hunter had an accidental discharge in his stand and blew a hole in the roof of his popup.

Thankfully I only had 2 preference points when drawn. I'll probably apply again because I really want to kill a free range axis.

I have been on the Enchanted Rock hunt and it was the same, but we killed lots of deer when I was there.
salth2o is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #197
WamBow
Six Point
 
WamBow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Madison County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salth2o View Post
My take is that there is plenty of info about how this hunt is operated, so anyone going in should be well aware of their procedures. However, with that said I agree the park could do make some changes to improve hunter opportunities/success. Make no mistake, they want the axis gone and I am sure the park loses some revenue when it is closed for 20 hunters during each hunt period. The info I got from park staff was that they do night hunts and have USDA staff with them to certify the meat so it can be sold. We saw lots of axis riding to and from the stand. What would be fun, is to have a safari style hunt at night for axis.

I asked to switch blinds on the last morning, but was told the same thing about the shooting lane. Silly, but their rules. I think they are extra cautious as GSP because it is such a popular park and there are some hunters that need that hand holding. A catastrophic event would be too much bad PR. While I was there, one hunter had an accidental discharge in his stand and blew a hole in the roof of his popup.

Thankfully I only had 2 preference points when drawn. I'll probably apply again because I really want to kill a free range axis.

I have been on the Enchanted Rock hunt and it was the same, but we killed lots of deer when I was there.
I agree, it was clear that you'd have an escort to your assigned blind for each hunt, but not that you'd have a 35-yard window to shoot in bc you are close to other hunters...which leads into my second point. If safety is such a priority, DON'T PLACE BLINDS THAT MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO SHOOT SOMEONE ELSE. If homeboy accidentally discharged his gun through the roof then why not through the side window...out of his shooting lane...towards another hunter? No, I think it's set up to maximize the volume of hunters. Also, TPWD should note that the helicopter program is being utilized with great success. this would help curb ones expectations of deer on the property.
WamBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #198
Jen-Man
Ten Point
 
Jen-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sheridan,Tx
Hunt In: Sheridan, Cotulla
Default

This is why I like this forum. Thanks for all the info.
Jen-Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #199
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young
 
solocam_aggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Bastrop
Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM
Default

Good info. This is why I never apply to hunts that are by "assigned blind." I dont like that, and what to be able to have the freedom to come and go as I want. My first draw hunt at the Chap probably ruined me lol
solocam_aggie is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com