Deer Feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Feed

We have been making feeds in our feed mill since 1958. I make tons and tons of Deer Feed for the general public, Hunters with leases, Deer Producers, Exotic Game Ranches and Landowners who provide day hunting. I make custom Deer Feed tailored for some of my customers specific needs... They get spectacular results... big deer... big antlers...

It is always interesting to me when folks start talking about deer feed... one guy likes Brand X and gets great results while another guy uses Brand Y feed because Brand X caused antler tines to fall off.... still another has used both Brand X and Brand Y but his deer wouldn't eat either of them unless he mixed it with corn... another guy won't feed either one because cotton seed is best and yet another guy won't feed cotton seed because he heard that it makes deer sterile...

Here are some facts that will help you get the best results for the deer you are feeding...

1. The first thing you should do is go to the feed mill of your choice and ask to speak with their NUTRITIONIST. If they do not have one go to another feed mill. By the way... a Biologist cannot help you with animal feeds like an Animal Nutrionist can...

2. The nutrionist will ask you a number of questions regarding the deer, the surrounding area, the forage in the area, type of deer, estimated buck population and so on...

3. The Nutrionist will then tell you what needs to be added or even removed from the feed for the deer on your lease.

4. Ask the feed mill to make a custom feed for your deer.

5. If you are feeding the correct feed to the deer on your lease it will not take 4 or 5 years to see the results... you will see gains each and every year..

6. Folks that tell you it takes 4 or 5 years to see the results are feeding store bought feed and most likely are not feeding the same consistently.

7. If you are feeding your deer high protein deer feed and they have very little forage (grass) you are wasting your money... when you have little forage in the area you should be feeding high fiber deer feed with lower protein... like 17% protein and 28% Fiber.

8. Those of you lucky enough to have lots of forage should up the protein and add phosphorus, Vit ADE, and Availa 4.

9. If all you want to do is draw deer into a feeder and sling a stick at them... then use corn, alfalfa pellets or anything that makes them show up for a broadside. (that is if you don't care if they have big antlers or even what they look like)

This is a great read. I will look into where we stand....

Comment

Good information thanx for postin

Comment

Re: Deer Feed

Great info. Thanks

Comment

GREAT Info!!! Thanks for the post

Comment

WestTXHunter, where's your feed mill located? just wondering if it is close to Breckenridge because we don't have a place to buy in that area it seems. good read, and thanks for sharing

Comment

Our Feed Mill is located in Fort Stockton. I'll be glad to help you out. You can talk with my Nutrionist and then I'll help you find a place close to you that will make it for you. Will that work for you?

Comment

Thanks for the post. Great info.

Comment

And where does one find feed mills on an area basis? Maybe it would be a good sticky for this on this forum.

Comment

Ask any farmer in the area you are inrested in and I will bet he will point you in right direction.....I can think of seven of them within 45min driving distance of San Antonio to the southeast.............Most people that have been buying cow feed for few years know where the mills are located.'''''''''',,,,,,Andy

Comment

That is very good information!

Comment

Awesome! info

Comment

If you need any help hooking up with a feed mill give a ring and I'll help you find one in your area. Always happy to assist a TBH'r.

Comment

good post learned some onfo on this one

Comment

Thanks for sharing the information. When is the best time to start a feeding program? Is springtime too early?

Comment

Working...
                              X