Well and Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PROD49 View Post
    Well, I guess I should have read the entire report so yes. Water pressure set at 45 PSI and flow with one hydrant at 6 GPM.
    Gonna be working your pump purty hard, hope you got a biggun. Prolly 1 1/2HP or bigger and your well might not keep up. Might be better to make a smaller pond.
    Last edited by Radar; 03-08-2018, 09:48 AM.

Comment

I have a windmill pump on mine for this reason.

Comment

Originally posted by yotethumper View Post
        I have a windmill pump on mine for this reason.
        Yeah, I'll end up digging a new well next year and pit a windmill pump on it.

Comment

Do you have a house on this place? I'd look at catching rain water!

Comment

Yeah, I'll end up digging a new well next year and pit a windmill pump on it.
            I don't think a windwill pump will keep up. Our tank is a little over 2 acres and i leave our windmill pumping all the time. It doesn't even come close to keeping up.
            I don't remember the exact specs but it is the biggest pump i can pump on the 1 1/4 pipe we run down into the well. I ran pvc under ground to the tank. It is about 150 ft or so.

Last time i checked it would fill a 2.5 gallon bucket in just under a minute with an average wind turning it.

Comment

If my well only produced 6 gpm I sure wouldn't be pumping it into a pond, probably run it dry

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                If my well only produced 6 gpm I sure wouldn't be pumping it into a pond, probably run it dry
                My thoughts exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                  My thoughts exactly.
                  Ok, so then new plan dig out deeper this year and dig a new well next to pond next year.

Comment

Evaporation rate is a whole lot more than people realize.

Comment

Ok, so then new plan dig out deeper this year and dig a new well next to pond next year.
                      Digging out deeper and sealing it will be your best bet. Digging a new well may or may not help, especially if you are tapping into the same water.
                      Last edited by BrandonA; 03-08-2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Looks like a tank to me.

Comment

my perspective

I have a small (half acre) pond. During the drought of 2011-12 it dropped real low, but did not empty. We considered running a garden hose to it to try to maintain some level of water. However, some quick math answered our question of whether we should try it. Here it is:

Say you have a 1 acre pond (when full--surface acreage--we understand the surface area decreases as the pond lowers)
                          In each acre foot (an acre foot is the amount of water it takes to cover one acre of ground one foot deep) there are 325,851 gallons of water.
                          If your pond is on average (assume straight walls all the way around) 8 feet deep, then you have 8 acre-feet of water (8 x 325,851 = 2,606,808 gallons of water in the pond.

So, to bring our half acre pond up 1 foot would have been 162,925 gallons. Not even a consideration, since we are on city water.

Comment

You might could build some diversion terraces cheaper than digging a well. I can't tell from the picture if this is possible are not.

Comment

Look at neighboring tracts to see how far they had to go on a well, then you can back into your costs. (I want to say there is a public data base where you can look).

I would look at getting a tractor and a dirt spreader to dig out the tank a build a berm. Then you can line it.

Between the well, dirt work, and bentonite, you are going to be spending a considerable amount of money. Much more than it will cost to run the well.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                                Looks like a tank to me.

I can't believe it took 26 posts for the Chief of pond police to get here.

Comment

Working...
                                X