2016 Colorado Bull Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2016 Colorado Bull Elk

its been a while since I posted on here but finally got some time and wanted to share this with you guys my recent elk trip.

Shot on opening week of bow season, public land Pagosa Springs, Colorado.

We hunted for a week and I was the only guy out of 4 that got a shot on one. Shot him at 50 yards. he ran about 40 yards and crashed like you see on the hunting channel. it was awesome experience that I will never forget.

So public land hunting was tough and we covered lots of country. Went into this experience with realistic expectation that bull elk was probably not going to happen unless all things lined up correctly. Me and 3 other buddies were hunting by ourselves with nothing but google earth to use to prepare for the trip and set up each days hunt location.

Myself and buddie james were helping guide the two guys that were with us. I finally got my bow out of the case on day 4 when I realized that we needed to start increasing the odds because we were on the road to coming home empty handed after a week of hunting.

Most awesome experience of my life even if I would not have made the most awesome shot ever on this dude the setting I was in alone was soooooo cool. Like a scene you see when you go to best buy and walk into the surround sound booth with the big screen Herd of elk cows, big bull working the herd down the mountain into a valley, calling, satellite bulls working the outskirts of the herd. I cant fully describe the awesomeness of the front row seat I had. they never knew I was there until I shot that arrow....

I was sitting next to a tree and had a buddy calling about 100 yards from me. this dude got about 50 yards the other side of the tree and started calling and the hair on the back of my neck stood straight up....at that time I was watching a satellite bull that was much smaller and up on a ridge line and could not see this guy or the herd because of the tree and bushes I was next to. I was being very quiet and not moving for a long time.

next thing I know, I look up and this bull starts pushing a heard of about 20 cows through a valley and he stopped broadside and I did not waste any time. made a sweet shot on him and watched in glory as he stood there looking at me and collapsed.

I was supper excited. FIRST BOW KILL EVER!!!!!

not sure how I am ever going to top this one.

hope you enjoy the pictures....the first picture you can see when he fell on his side he landed on the arrow and pushed it to the other side of him. you see it poking up..
    Attached Files

Very nice!!! not many of us had much luck this year on elk. Congrats to you sir!!!

Comment

Very cool, congrats

Comment

That is awesome! Congratulations!

Comment

Heck of a first bow kill! Congrats on that!

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Very nice, where about were you hunting? I have done a lot of hunting around Pagosa.

Comment

Congrats!!!

Comment

Awesome bull! Congrats!!

Comment

wall hanger! congrats!

Comment

superb trophy given my experience of DIY elk. Or just "elk".

Full body mount.

Comment

Congrats on a nice bull

Comment

Congrats!! Family spent a week in the Pagosa area this summer. It's beautiful country!!

Comment

That's a good looking elk! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X