Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife wants to become a teacher, any pointers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife wants to become a teacher, any pointers?

Green Screen,

My wife would like to become a teacher in the Richmond/Pecan Grove/Cinco area(Lamar ISD or Fort Bend ISD?).

She has a Masters in Journalism from UT and a Bachelors from University of San Diego in communication studies. She currently works as a copywriter for a marketing company but would like to change paths.

We have a general idea about the process of her becoming certified but if anyone has any advice, pointers, or guidance we would greatly appreciate it. She would like to work with younger kids (elementary or pre-k).

Thanks!

Only suggestion I have is for her to put her head down and get after it. Best job there is!

Comment

Try googling ACT Houston

Comment

Have her take a look at iteachtexas.com.

Comment

i have 3 of them on my street, all teach in cinco.
          they love it.

Comment

I did it for 20 years , the longer I'm out of it, the more I miss it !!!

Comment

Before I went back to school I was teaching full time for a bit and subbing before. It was one of the most rewarding experiences. Pay isn't awesome, lots of work before and after school hours, but a solid job.

Comment

Don't teach in Las Vegas. Very weird over here.

Comment

Thanks a million guys, we appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Don't!

Comment

We live in Katy and my wife wants to ease back into teaching after a 15 year break. A great way to land a full time teaching job is to start subbing in a few schools and get your name out there. My wife was offered a job there the first week of attending the substitute registration process.

First year teachers in Katy start out at $47K.

Comment

Originally posted by NETX.Bowhunter View Post
                        Try googling ACT Houston
                        X2

Comment

Iteachtexas.com and teach journalism/yearbook if she can find a job doing that

Comment

Good Luck hunting

Comment

be sure to get a job in an ISD that pays into social security. When she retires, her teachers pension may reduce her social security benefit by up to 2/3 if she has not contributed into social security for the last 6-7 years of employment. the two provisions are the windfall elimination provision and the government pension offset (effects surviving spouses)

Also, she needs to sign up for a 403b and begin contributions asap.

Comment

Working...
                              X