The worst day-lease in texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lil'bowhunter View Post
    Cougar Run Ranch 1... If you dont want to get scammed out of your money, i wouldnt go there.

Yep, I'd steer clear of cougar 1. Cougar 2 is another story though. The rams were approachable so those are my list there as were the buffalo. If you want to go after some pigs though you better bring your A game at Cougar 2 those are some smart suckers that know what that stick and string'll do to them. Seen some MONSTERS out there 350 on the hoof I'd say.

Comment

You have to really understand what most of these Ranches are made for.........they are designed to take your money, Plain and Simple. When I went to Mesquite Bowhunting Ranch, there were very limited animals and IMO, no real shooters. At that time, I didn't know much about Exotics and I was excited about going. But now that I have been in the game a little while and seen what real trophy exotics are, I now stay away from these ranches.

MBH had Hogs all over, probably about 10 Rams that were 1/2 to 3/4 a full curl, maybe 2 would have been a full curl. I saw about 3 BB with horns, only one okay one with 17" horns, some big axis but they know which paths not to go down. It's just a problem when you have so many immature animals running around. Also, he would corn the main road where you couldn't hunt......so take that for what you will. I did have a pretty decent time (because I had no idea what trophies were).....I will never go back to a place like this again.

I will however, go to Double L Ranch. Now that place has some animals! I am trying to finish my Ram slam with a big Mouflon and Auodad.

Comment

oran hill enough said

Comment

I had a blast hunting with Gerald at MBR. For some reason we called to book our annual hunt. Maria would not let us book.

Comment

Me and my wife had a great time at MBH, she did not kill anything but she had decent opportunities and it was here first bow hunt. IMO for the money you really cant ask for much more, if he charged a monster kill fee like other ranches then yes it would be a little different. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by bullshark View Post
              oran hill enough said
              X50!!! His Grandson's a good dude but Oran is an old grumpy pain in the $@#^ ! Went the first time on a turkey hunt and had a pretty good time. THEN we went to another place they run and Oran was there. He made my wife cry because she shot a big boar and we took some pics and left it in the field. He said she was unethical and cruel AND it wasn't her decision. I said we aint eating this nasty thing.
              Let's just say him being an old man is all that stopped a good ol fashon @SS whoopin that night.

Comment

Originally posted by Killem all View Post
                I had a blast hunting with Gerald at MBR. For some reason we called to book our annual hunt. Maria would not let us book.
                Gerald is about to undergo some surgery/recovery. That may be why they're not booking right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bullshark View Post
                  oran hill enough said
                  I hunted for 10yrs on the S&G ranch between Bertrum and Burnet that Oran had. It was 700 ac. with an old box ranch house. It wasn't much more then a place to sleep and stay dry. Need less to say I spent many an hour talking with Oran about the land, hunting and trapping. In his seventy;s at the time and he was still running several trap lines and selling pelts along with running his hunting operation. His hand shake was his word and he expected the same in return. He expected you to eat what you killed, skin what you trapped and to take care of the land. I did that and never had a problem.
                  I have since moved on to other hunting oppertunites but never regret the time I spent at the S&G ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by BowBuck2 View Post
                    The only place I would not return to Boazman's Quatro B. They have a nice bunk house. Thats about it!! The guide was never around. When being taken to a stand in the morning the guides dog was climbing all over you. Doug himself is all about the dollar and has zero personality IMO. Sections of the ranch are off limits to guests as they are set up with permanent feeders for family. The rest of the ranch is fed with a drop feeder on the back of a jeep which corns the entire place, not just where the stands are. I can say 4 days 5 guys, one 14" black buck seen, one decent axis seen (within the off limits area) and 2 hogs shot. Not going back.
                    I totally agree. I won't go back to Sweetwater Creek either even though some guys have said they liked it.

Comment

Eckert ranch-brady,rochell and mason he is not honest, you have the money he will let you kill all day long and not worry about next hunters

Comment

I went to mesquite bowhunting run by chambers in hondo for exotics and didnt see a dang thing!!! He corns the roads so i guess thats where it was tricky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zookeeper View Post
                          I hunted for 10yrs on the S&G ranch between Bertrum and Burnet that Oran had. It was 700 ac. with an old box ranch house. It wasn't much more then a place to sleep and stay dry. Need less to say I spent many an hour talking with Oran about the land, hunting and trapping. In his seventy;s at the time and he was still running several trap lines and selling pelts along with running his hunting operation. His hand shake was his word and he expected the same in return. He expected you to eat what you killed, skin what you trapped and to take care of the land. I did that and never had a problem.
                          I have since moved on to other hunting oppertunites but never regret the time I spent at the S&G ranch.
                          Tim,
                          I know the place you are talking about on the north side of the hwy by the railroad tracks,white house? Hunted there the first time with Kevin Kelley and Orans Grandson.
                          Just because he was one way with you doesn't mean he's that way with everybody. As you can see I'm not the only one who thinks so... I didn't say he was a liar. Just that he was grouchy and RUDE.
                          I was told since I got a group of 6 hunters to come turkey hunt that my wife could shoot a hog, if she saw one, for $50. Since they "WERE A PROBLEM THERE ANYWAY", Ok fair enough. We didn't shoot even one turkey out of 6 hunters. Still no problem, hunting is hunting... Well she saw one the last evening and shot it. It was her first hog and she was tickled pink. Well, when we found it he was about 250 lbs and this was of coarse in April. He had ticks and fleas ALL over him and stank like H_ll! We took pics and went back to camp and told them she got one. He said well where is it? She told him what I said about eating a boar that time of year of that size and he comminsed to tell her that it was unethical of her to leave him lay and that she should not even hunt if she was going to shoot things and not eat them. You've got to be kidding me! I told him if he was soooo hard pressed to be Mr. Ethical that I'd go get the **** thing and clean it and quarter it if he'd eat it!!! But awe no. "I didn't shoot it, I aint eatin it". lol He backed off then.
                          For a outfitter to make a young lady new to hunting cry over a stanking hog that was a "problem anyway" is a shame. I was embarrassed for him!
                          I've since read many many posts about his operation being all about getting the hunters money.

Comment

Myself and several others from TBH leased a place in Burnet from Oran Hill and he is a crooked old man.

Comment

Originally posted by stuntriderant View Post
                              I went to mesquite bowhunting run by chambers in hondo for exotics and didnt see a dang thing!!! He corns the roads so i guess thats where it was tricky!!
                              Different place than mesquite bowhunting in Pearsall.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Freak View Post
                                Mesquite Bowhunting in Pearsall was a ------- joke!!!!!!!!!!
                                NEVER GOING BACK!!!!!!!
                                I have never had a guide/manager work as hard for me as Gerald did. He emailed me back immediately when I asked about a Watusi hunt. He went out and took pictures and sent them to me. And he helped me trail the beast for 4 hours to get the finishing shot. He then helped me skin and quarter it free of charge. I will always take up for someone who works that hard to ensure your good time.

Comment

Working...
                                X