best old diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

best old diesel

Im wanting to have a project truck. It will be a 4x4, diesel for work and play. I was wondering GS option of a good, solid engine to put in it. The truck itself remains to be designed, and it will most likely be a mutt, so purest leave your pride at the door.

So any where from old to recent, what say you on a good, diesel engine that can be found used or perhaps bought crate? What are its perks and pitfalls?

diesel... only one answer, Cummins

Comment

Powerstroke 7.3L

Comment

12 valve Cummins with mechanical injection pump

Comment

12 valve be my first choice then a 7.3

Comment

Here I will play...6.6 duramax. Good luck with build!

Comment

12 valve cummins for a low tech build. No computer

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby View Post
                12 valve cummins for a low tech build. No computer

My thoughts as well. Loads of low end torque, easily tuned to get more power, and VERY reliable. At it's lowest rating, a 5.9 12 valve put out 160 hp and 440 ft lbs of torque. Just a little tuning and that can be over 250 hp and knocking on 550 ft lbs!

Comment

12 valve Cummins or 7.3 International Both are pretty solid.

Comment

Depending on the size of the truck, a 4BT Cummins can be a great option. If it's a ¾ or 1 ton, go ahead with a 6BT (12 valve) Cummins.

They are easy to work on, parts are readily available, and they don't require a computer to run.

You can put any number of transmissions behind them as well.

I have a friend who put a 4BT in his 68 Bronco with a NV4500 transmission. It is pretty freakin sweet. Another fella I know, is working on putting a 4BT in his M37, which he intends to use as a tow vehicle.

I have fantasized about putting a 6BT into an old International Travelall, and putting it on 1 ton axles. I think that would make for a pretty sweet, and bombproof vehicle, that will still get decent mileage, and have a super high zoot factor. The only thing holding me back, is money.

Comment

Originally posted by River Rider View Post
                      Yes

Comment

12 Valve cummins for sure

Comment

Originally posted by River Rider View Post
                          X2

Comment

I've gotta go cummins, although if I recall correctly Cat has some pretty good smaller motors.

Comment

Love the old 6.5 l Chevy diesels

Comment

Working...
                              X