Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > It's All About the Video

Old 11-14-2006, 10:02 PM   #1
trophy_taker
Ten Point

Default bogen super clamp question

I just got a bogen 3130 head and superclamp. My question is when you mount it on your tree arm, how do you keep it from slipping once it is tightened up. To position it level on the arm, there is a triangular space above the top of the arm that is not contacting the square tubing. If enough pressure is put on the head it slips around the square tubing of the arm. Do you need to cut a spacer wedge to shim it in tight or what do you do? What arms do most people use? I have a gorilla arm that will work. I was hoping to get a 3-way adjustable Team Realtree bow holder and clamp the super clamp to it. I like the idea of being able to screw the arm into the tree rather than ratchet(seems loud when ratcheting) but I don't think these bow holders will support the weight. Any thoughts or ideas? I don't want to spend a lot of money on an arm.
Chris
trophy_taker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2006, 10:14 PM   #2
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Woodson

I use Team Realtree bow holders with my super clamp and Bogen head and they support the weight just fine. Most of my stands have a camera holder in each of them so all I have to do is collect the super clamp and hunt. I have noticed on the Gorilla arms that are rounded I get a little slipege, so I stick with the Realtree ones.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
trophy_taker
Ten Point

Heath, how do you mount the superclamp to the arm? To mount it with the head level, the square tubing doesn't mount flush to the corners of the clamp.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Woodson

To be honest I just screw it until it feels tight and have never paid attention if it is level or not. I like a little movement in it in case I need to push the camera up or down a little to get the right frame on the video I want.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #5
trophy_taker
Ten Point

I guess I am worried that it will slip and my camera will be hanging upside down underneath the arm instead of on top.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 PM   #6
Xspot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Quanah

I use an EZ hanger and screw that into the tree and clamp the bogen to it.... You have to use the very end of the clamp and tighten. it holds well.
Xspot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2006, 10:47 PM   #7
trophy_taker
Ten Point

So whenever you tighten it all of the way up, your 2 flat rubber pieces on the top portion of the clamp are clamping to the top corners of the square tubing of the hanger and the bottom flat piece of the clamp is tightened against just one of the other corners of the tubing? It just bothers me that the flat portions of the clamp don't fit flat against the tubing on the arm. Guess it will work though!
Old 11-14-2006, 11:05 PM   #8
Ben
Eight Point

I don't really like the EZ hangers either. The superclamp doesn't tighten to them as well as I'd like, but I still use them from time to time.

I make a copy of the EZ hangers using larger square tubing. I think the ones I have made are 3/4" or smaller. The clamp makes a much better connection to the larger tubing. I take a cutting torch or chop saw and cut the screw part off a screw in step and weld it to the end of the square tubing. Obviously, the only other thing you need is a drill and a bolt with washers to connect to (or three) pieces. I need to make some more.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2006, 11:14 PM   #9
trophy_taker
Ten Point

Ben, do you use aluminum or steel? Seems you would need a forklift to get that piece of equipment to your stand if it was steel. LOL!!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:09 AM   #10
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

If you get the extra long EZ hanger, you can double up the last two segments, one on top of the other. Then then super clamp can get a much better grip.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #11
Snapper
Pope & Young

What Sika said.
Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2006, 09:20 AM   #12
Casey
Administrator

My super clamp has a wedge type spacer that squares the corner part of the clamp. Did your's not come with this?
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2006, 09:29 AM   #13
Double L
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I bought some of the round bow holders. There is a pin near the end of the round tubing. I took a punch and knocked it out and removed the little hook thing that is supposed to hold your bow. I then got a piece of all thread and bent it as close to 90 degree as I could, got my tap and die set out and tapped the round tube to the same size thread as the tube on the bow holder. Put a nut on the all thread so you can "lock" down the all thread after it is screwed into the tubing. Then my Bogen 3030 will screw right onto the all thread. Stay tuned and I will tell you if this works in the field. I hope to give it the acid test this weekend.
Double L is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 AM   #14
Ben
Eight Point

Steel. Square tubing isn't very heavy. It weighs maybe twice as much as an EZ hanger. I try to have one in every stand so that I don't have to carry them anyway. I probably have a dozen of these on our ranch.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #15
trophy_taker
Ten Point

Casey, mine did not come with a wedge piece. Sure would be nice to have one so that it would fit securely in place!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:13 PM   #16
Sika
Pope & Young

Go back to the store and ask for it...it's supposed to come with the unit. It can be moved to two different positions...one for mounting to a horizontal surface and one for mounting to a vertical surface.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:03 PM   #17
DamonJ
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen County

Smith, you are sounding a lot like an Aggie!!!!
DamonJ is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #18
texag93
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panhandle

Pictures.....we need pictures!!!!!!! I need to know what all this is about but have no idea. Super clamps, EZ hangers, ??????????? I just use a Gorilla camera arm. Haven't looked into any other set up to date.
texag93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2006, 07:12 PM   #19
Sika
Pope & Young

Texag, here is the bogen tripod head and super clamp. I bought both units at a professional photo and video store in Austin. You can order them online, though. By the way, the new bogens suck! They aren't nearly as smooth as the old ones (pan and tilt.) Same price, lower quality product, in my opinion.

Attachment 3762

And the Realtree Extra long ez hanger...
The super clamp will grip one segment if you position it just right. But like I said, I double up the last two segments.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #20
Casey
Administrator

This is what you need.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2006, 09:44 PM   #21
trophy_taker
Ten Point

Thanks Casey! That's the info. I needed. That will definitely solve my problem.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #22
Sika
Pope & Young

One thing you will want to get if you haven't already is a short stud for the super clamp. The clamp comes with a standard stud but it's really too long. Buy the short stud.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
Old 11-15-2006, 11:52 PM   #23
trophy_taker
Ten Point

Sika, I did get a short stud for it so the head will fit flush with the clamp. Even though I'm an Aggie, I did figure that one out. Thanks anyway.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #24
Mint

If you wantto upgrade to a higher quality clamp for a larger camera like the GL2 you should check out www.huntercam.com I switched to that about 6 months ago and feel much safer with my camera then using the super clamp.
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2006, 04:26 PM   #25
Mint

Sorry the website is www.huntercamcradle.com
  Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2006, 09:36 PM   #26
Tool Master
Four Point

Default What kind of stand are you using?

You can buy a clamp that fits to your stand at Sportsmen Warehouse. It is a tripod that fits on your window of your car. They have them wide enough to fit on your tree stand also. I think it was 29.99 Busnell Car Window Mount 78-4405 is the one I bought. I have a Gorilla ladder stand an it fits the metal on the stand and or the the gun rest which swivels. The clamp expands to the width of the metal on the stand or gun rest. Cheap simple solution.

Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy_taker View Post
I just got a bogen 3130 head and superclamp. My question is when you mount it on your tree arm, how do you keep it from slipping once it is tightened up. To position it level on the arm, there is a triangular space above the top of the arm that is not contacting the square tubing. If enough pressure is put on the head it slips around the square tubing of the arm. Do you need to cut a spacer wedge to shim it in tight or what do you do? What arms do most people use? I have a gorilla arm that will work. I was hoping to get a 3-way adjustable Team Realtree bow holder and clamp the super clamp to it. I like the idea of being able to screw the arm into the tree rather than ratchet(seems loud when ratcheting) but I don't think these bow holders will support the weight. Any thoughts or ideas? I don't want to spend a lot of money on an arm.
Chris
Tool Master is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2006, 09:44 PM   #27
Sika
Pope & Young

Jack Brittingham showed me this little device last week. Instead of an EZ hanger, he uses this with the bogen super clamp for self-video from a tree stand.

Bogen Camera Arm
Old 12-18-2006, 11:40 PM   #28
TSpradlin
Eight Point

Hunt In: Poolville

OK I understand that Bogen is the best way to go but is there a cheaper way out? You know one for the Family man with a stay at home wife and 3 kids?
TSpradlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-18-2006, 11:49 PM   #29
Sika
Pope & Young

Yes, a mount doesn’t need to be expensive to be effective...but if you are willing to spend $500 or more on a nice camcorder, why settle for a cheap mount? I've seen many a cheap tripod come crashing down, damaging the camera mounted on top. Plus, a good tripod or mount will make all the difference in the world in the quality of your video.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:00 AM   #30
TSpradlin
Eight Point

Well I have priced the clamps and they are not to bad but the head is just a little much.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #31
blackjack
Administrator

Tim,

Try watching eBay for the Bogen Head model Nos. 3130, 3129, or 3126 (all fluid heads). There are deals to be made and you won't have to drop the cash on a new one. May take a while though, so be patient.
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2006, 11:04 PM   #32
TSpradlin
Eight Point

Thank You Wade I can not belive I never even that about looking on ebay.