No announcement yet.

Need suggestions regarding bow noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I done everything mentioned about at some point on different bows, increased brace height, heaver arrows, ect. On one bow all it took was changing the string. Go figure.

Comment

If you have cat whiskers in the string, and the bow is still loud, then the problem is not string noise.

Most likely the problem is bow noise that is being generated from the string slapping the limbs.

As mentioned above, brace height to go along with other proper tuning, and arrow weight are key in getting a recurve quiet.

There is nothing you can do to stop string slap on a recurve. It's the nature of the beast, but there are quite a number of things you can do to dampen it to an almost unnoticeable thump.

One thing I can tell you straight up is - I have seen a lot of loud & difficult bows, that were only that way because the arrow nocks were to tight on the string. When they are to tight, the arrow will drag the string forward on the shot, and increase the force of the slap on the limbs. I'd give that serious look if I were you.

Drop me a PM, and we'll get together to discuss it.
      I can't promise anything, but I generally have pretty good luck with getting a recurve quiet, and I'll help ya out all I can.

Rick

Comment

pm sent Mr. Barbee

Comment

One other thing I didn't notice mentioned above is string material. I know most people like shooting newer string materials because they have less stretch and are a little faster. I, on the other hand, prefer dacron. I think it is typically quieter than most of the newer string materials but there is a trade-off. There will be some string stretch, but you just have to keep checking your brace height and adjusting it until the string is "shot in". You also might loose a couple feet per second on your arrow speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas5o View Post
            One other thing I didn't notice mentioned above is string material. I know most people like shooting newer string materials because they have less stretch and are a little faster. I, on the other hand, prefer dacron. I think it is typically quieter than most of the newer string materials but there is a trade-off. There will be some string stretch, but you just have to keep checking your brace height and adjusting it until the string is "shot in". You also might loose a couple feet per second on your arrow speed.
            Thanks! I may end up trying that as well.

Comment

Working...
            X