I bought Timney triggers for my Remington 700's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought Timney triggers for my Remington 700's

I've wanted a Jewell trigger in my .308 Remington 700 for a while now. Man... Midway has a hard time keeping them in stock. So I also put Timney's on my "Want List" at Midway while I thought it over.

They finally get Jewell's in stock, and I realized that I could get two Timney's for the price of one Jewell. So I could upgrade both my .270 and .308 at the same time. Decisions, decisions...

Both are hunting rifles. I bought the Timney's. I hope I'm not going to regret the decision, but I don't think I will. I'm hoping the Timney's will at least be a nice improvement over the factory triggers in each.

All the best,
    Glenn

From most of the stuff I've read, the Timneys are just as good as jewels. I've never had a jewel myself. But, from the reviews and forums I've read, unless you're a sniper or a bench rest competition shooter, you won't be able to tell the difference anyway. I'd say you probably made a good decision. But, then again, I'm no expert on this subject.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
      From most of the stuff I've read, the Timneys are just as good as jewels. I've never had a jewel myself. But, from the reviews and forums I've read, unless you're a sniper or a bench rest competition shooter, you won't be able to tell the difference anyway. I'd say you probably made a good decision. But, then again, I'm no expert on this subject.
      This is me. Maybe someone could benefit from a better-than-Timney, but it ain't me.

Comment

You'll be happy.

If this is your first time upgrading stock triggers you'll be pleased. As you become more and more familiar with aftermarket triggers you'll see the difference in the Tunney vs jewell but both are great.

Enjoy the upgrade sir!

Comment

I put a Timney trigger in my Remington 700 .270 years ago, it greatly improved the accuracy of the rifle. They are very good triggers for hunting. I think you will be very pleased with your decision.

Comment

Replacing the factory triggers you will be pleased. What weight did you get? Mine is at 2.5 lbs on my 7mm Rem mag, and it is really too light for hunting. I won't let anyone else hunt with it, if you are not used to it it will go before you are ready. I have 2, for hunting they are as good as anyone will ever need.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. After reading the adjustability ranges, I quickly came to the conclusion that I probably wouldn't be adjusting these two rifles down to less than what the Timney range was, and that was a big deciding factor. If I was competing or if I preferred a lower pull rate than the Timney, it definitely would have been the Jewell. But I think these will do just fine. I'm looking forward to getting them.

It's not the first time I've upgraded triggers (I've got Geissele's in all my AR's, Bellm kits in all my T/C Encores, and PRP kits in a few of my Springfield's), but this is the first time I've upgraded the triggers in a Remington 700. I pulled the original triggers in both and sent them into Remington to get the recall done, and I reinstalled them when they came back - very easy to do.

One of the other factors that pushed me down the Timney road was that the ones I purchased were flat. I purchased some Geissele Super Dynamic flat triggers and liked the feel over the curved models. The Timney's I bought were flat faced, and I think that even though they aren't adjusted very low, the feel will be that of a lower weight trigger pull (I'm hoping - just like the Geissele's felt much lower than they actually are).

I bought these:

All the best,
              Glenn

Comment

Put Timney triggers on both my REM 700's. .270 and .243

As a matter of fact i have five rifles with Timneys

Love Um.

Comment

I have both but prefer the jewell for it's simplicity of being able to adjust the weight if you want to lighten at the range / heavier for hunting. I've also gotten used to their small shoe with the sharp corners.

For hunting, it really isn't that big a deal for most...once you have a jewel, it sorta spoils ya.

Comment

These two rifles are going to be totally different than what they were before.

In addition to the trigger upgrades, I also sent both out to get threaded and have brakes installed. One was a ADL (.270), and the other a VTR (.308). Shultz Precision Machine is doing the work, and he is installing his own design brake. I have several of his brakes on Thompson Center single-shot weapons, and they are well designed.

I also changed out the stocks on both.

The .270 was wearing a Boyds thumbhole stock in a very nice color (Royal Jacaranda), but I wanted something different and I wanted a better recoil pad. So I ordered a new Boyds Featherweight thumbhole stock with a Pachmayr recoil pad in a much different color - Zombie Hunter. I was on the fence about it, but jumped into it. Matte finish Zombie green and grey laminate. I hope I like it.

The .308 was wearing the factory green plastic stock. I couldn't change the recoil pad on it to something like the Pachmayr, and I wanted something better. So I custom ordered a AccuBlock M50 with a Pachmayr pad from Stocky's. It's also in a custom color - Matte finish Plum - it's a dark purple and grey laminate.

So... quite a bit different weapons from what they started out as. I know my color choices aren't for everyone, but that's ok. I like them. And the nice thing about stocks - If I get bored with them, I can just buy new ones and sell the old ones off. Or... if they colors aren't to anyone else liking... new laminate stocks aren't that expensive that removing and putting an old one in the corner will hurt.

All the best,
                    Glenn

Comment

Nuttin wrong with a Timney. They been around a long long time. Best bang for the buck on a hunting rifle. On a $6000 bench gun I might go for a Jewel cause if I had that much $$$ to waste, a few more $$$ ain't gonna matter. The Jewel has a bit cleaner crisper break but most people cannot tell the difference. The only way you would notice is when dry firing the gun.

Comment

Timney is a great upgrade from the factory POS trigger, especially for a hunting rifle shot several times per year

There is no comparison between the Jewell and Timney as the Jewell is on a whole different level. All stainless steel , precision engineered with super tight tolerances . Literally a work of art

Comment

Blake, the company I work for surface grinds the side plates for the Jewel out of SA...

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                          Timney is a great upgrade from the factory POS trigger, especially for a hunting rifle shot several times per year

There is no comparison between the Jewell and Timney as the Jewell is on a whole different level. All stainless steel , precision engineered with super tight tolerances . Literally a work of art

Comment

Trigger tech triggers ain't bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntingw View Post
                              Trigger tech triggers ain't bad either.

Just got one of these on my new 243 it feels awesome and is very nice. Set just under 2#

Comment

Working...
                              X