No announcement yet.

Who eats coons .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passed this in Louisiana a couple years ago..

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish & Coons.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	24531762

Comment

My kids trap them, we've been eating them regularly. I haven't had one yet that wasn't good.

I'm starting to believe that the "greasy" is a wive's tale that gets passed on by people who don't eat it but need an excuse-or it's possible it was prepared without removing the glands? I'm very confident in a blind taste test I could serve it where most people couldn't tell it apart from a deer roast cooked similarly. Nothing like chicken IMO.

I've fed it to a lot of people and have yet to have one say they didn't like it. Most recently was a pretty large boar that fed eight adults two weeks ago. I made it simple barbacoa style-garlic and salt served with cilantro, onions, etc on tortillas. Nothing left but a pile of bones and most of these had never eaten it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Lonesome View Post
        I skinned one out once and have no desired to do that again. If you eat it be very careful to cook thoroughly or you can get trichinosis. Same with beaver.
        I've never got trichinosis from eating beaver

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
          We smoke them, but like others have said be careful not to dry them out. Once the meat is failing off the bones I take it and cut it up small and mix with Mushroom gravy and serve over white rice. Have also done the same with dirty rice and its very good.

It’s also good as the “chicken” in chicken and dumplings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
            We smoke them, but like others have said be careful not to dry them out. Once the meat is failing off the bones I take it and cut it up small and mix with Mushroom gravy and serve over white rice. Have also done the same with dirty rice and its very good.
            So invite me next time, I'd be willing to try some.

Comment

Originally posted by bpa556 View Post
              It’s also good as the “chicken” in chicken and dumplings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              My kids wanted one in a pot pie a few weeks ago. How can you say no to a four year-old's request like that? They ate every bit of it.

Comment

Eats

I've eat coon/poss/dilla... Poss is greasy...coon ok...dilla is best, close to pork BBQ...All were years ago and I would do again if need be...

Comment

Havent been hungry enough to eat it again after the first time.

Comment

House cat......the other white meat.

Mmmmm, mmmm mmmmeoww, good!

Comment

I have seen buzzards eating it, they seemed to enjoy it.

Comment

Nope.

Comment

this guy I knew, cooked a raccoon and an armadillo when we were younger he fried them like chicharones in the disco they were ok

Comment

I tried it several years ago at a wild game dinner in Junction. It was BBQ'd and not too awful bad. They served all kinds of stuff including deer, axis, fallow, sika, hog, possum, armadillo, alligator, rattlesnake, gar etc. We tasted everything. Very interesting event.

Best part was we won an antique duck decoy, a pallet load of fireplace starter logs and a case of beer in the raffle.

Comment

Never even thought about eating one. Why???

Comment

Working...
                              X