Elk Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
    The 7mm is a great all around caliber for big game. That being said, growing up here in elk country, myself along with a lot of family members have shot a lot of elk over the years with the 270 and 130 grain bullets. Don't over think it, there are many calibers that are good for elk and opinions vary based on personal preference.
    Regarding a lot of comments about shooting distances, very, very few people can shoot accurately and consistently beyond 350-400 yards unless on a bench with plenty of time to set up for the shot. Try walking uphill at 8-9000 feet elevation, jumping some elk and trying to shoot one at 300 yards while your heart is pumping out of your chest and your thighs burning. That is a whole different ball game than shooting off of a bench or tower blind with a near resting heart rate.
    If you want the 7mm get it. The rifle has the capability to take anything North American game animal and has a wide range of off the shelf ammo to choose from if you do not reload.
    Growing up hunting in NM and guiding in CO for many years I agree 110% with this. Be in the best shap possible and shoot whatever rifle you'll be taking a lot before you go.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      Big mule deer is as big as I've tested them. Good news on the elk. I'm moving a 180 HVLD pretty quick out of the 7. Should do the trick within 800 easy.
      140gr 6.5 HVLD puts them on ground. 180gr 7mm HVLD puts them in heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
        The 7mm is a great all around caliber for big game. That being said, growing up here in elk country, myself along with a lot of family members have shot a lot of elk over the years with the 270 and 130 grain bullets. Don't over think it, there are many calibers that are good for elk and opinions vary based on personal preference.
        Regarding a lot of comments about shooting distances, very, very few people can shoot accurately and consistently beyond 350-400 yards unless on a bench with plenty of time to set up for the shot. Try walking uphill at 8-9000 feet elevation, jumping some elk and trying to shoot one at 300 yards while your heart is pumping out of your chest and your thighs burning. That is a whole different ball game than shooting off of a bench or tower blind with a near resting heart rate.
        If you want the 7mm get it. The rifle has the capability to take anything North American game animal and has a wide range of off the shelf ammo to choose from if you do not reload.
        Agree 100%

Comment

I killed my bull in 2015 at 567 yards shooting 150 grain Winchester power points out of my 7 mag. It was not my ideal choice of bullet but it performed well.

Comment

Elk gun

7mm ultra mag will do the trick.

Comment

My dad lives and hunts up there and according to him the only magnums that get fired at elk up there are used by Texans that come up to hunt. All the locals use 243's, 308's, and 30-06's.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                I shot my last couple with a 7mm STW. One shot drops with the Berger 168 grain vld. It jerks the rug out from under them.
                This....Awesome round. The STW will knock em out.

Comment

Working...
                X