Hunting boots?!?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting boots?!?!?!?!

I bought a pair of Danner High Ground boots about 6-8 months ago. Been great so far but they are crazy slippery on wet rock. Big no go for me. So with that said, what can y'all recommend? I want to hear first hand experience please. Not what uncle robs 4th cousins sister who had a thing for uncle brother bill.

Looking at Asolo fugitive GTX, a LA Sportiva boot, and soloman quest. I do not want low rise boots. These will be a multi use boot from elk and mountain hunts to hill country whitetail and mule deer in the sand. Also, I will pay full price and it's not a huge deal but if you know of a big sale, let me know!! I wear a 12D. Most folks seem to be saying the Soloman.

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes or Lowa Sheep Hunters. Schnees Granite are also great boots!

I wear the ME on almost every hunt now, from Texas to snow hunts here.

Comment

Asolo lasted me one trip, maybe 25 miles on them at the most, leaking *******s. Hole formed right were the pinky toe bends .

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntamistad View Post
        Kenetrek Mountain Extremes or Lowa Sheep Hunters. Schnees Granite are also great boots!

I wear the ME on almost every hunt now, from Texas to snow hunts here.
        Where do you buy yours?

Comment

Might give Oboz a look. I've been buying there stuff since they first came out. Good company and people imo. I've put thousands miles on several different shoes, and boots of theirs. Solid product. Their soles are not hard and work well on rocks. Solomon is also hard to beat. I used to wear only Solomon until they discontinued there line of neutral (in regards to pronation) footwear. The soles of their boots are a little harder than Oboz. Merrel makes some boots as well, with really soft, tacky soles. IMO expierance, from backpacking, walking jetties, hiking, stream fishing, etc...wet rocks are in a league of there own. Sometimes a good tacky sole will work, sometimes it won't, sometimes felt will work, sometimes it won't, sometimes spikes work and sometimes they don't, there is nothing that is going to work 100% of the time on wet rocks.

Comment

I love my Lowa Tibets. Hunted from West Texas to Colorado to Hagerman and lots of places in between. I usually don't wear them at the lease, mostly cause they aren't light and I don't need great boots for that kind of hunting. Plus half the seasons I'm wearing snake boots.

Comment

No wonder you can't go on an Axis buck hunt. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

I like Solomon and Kenetrek. I don't own Solomons though. Just heard great things about em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If you like the boots aside from the "slippery factor", you may want to try a few things. I'd hit the soles with a heat gun and see if you can get the oil/mold release agent to wick off of them. If that doesn't work I would try siping the lugs to add some more grip.

I've had my Danner snake boots for 10 years and finally gave them a good waxing. Melting the wax in made some run down onto the soles so I know exactly what you're talking about after trying to climb ditches full of water and roots yesterday.

Comment

Meindl's are really solid on wet rock and are built as well as any others in the same league for $75-100 less.

Comment

I bought some Academy brand hunting cowboy style boots a few months ago. Actually wore this evening to bush hog and work on my place. They're comfortable and didn't break the bank.

Comment

I have put a couple hundred miles on a pair of asolo sassalongs and they are still great. Never leaked and never a blister. Not sure if they are made anymore but Im sure there is something comparable.

Comment

Solomon quest and Cabela Meindl boots for an all around boot. Some of the others mentioned would be too stiff for regular hunting for me.

I have a Lowa ultra light hiker for easier terrain and about to have a light mountaineering boot for real mountains.

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with the Solomon.

I'm not sure if any boot will give you traction on wet black rock algae. I've found myself on my arse more than once traversing on it.

Comment

Vibram rubber soles are the best. Several boots have those.

Comment

I have Hanwag Lhasa's. I really like them. They are my first 'high end' boot and are worlds better than the academy crap they replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X