Best seed for food plot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best seed for food plot?

I'm getting ready to plant a food plot this year. I scalp mowed everything last weekend. I plan on discing it next weekend. Haven't bought any seed yet though. I usually just pick up 150 pounds of the Fall mix from the local feed store, or maybe get a few different small bags of biologic stuff from BPS. My lease is 50 miles west of San Antonio. Did a soil test 2 years ago and didn't need any lime, just added some 15-15-15 afterwards. I've got 2'different plots. One is about 2 1/2 acres and is more or less sandy loam, the other about 1/2 acre and is a dark loam/clay mix.
    Can't decide if I just stay with the Fall mix, or try to order something better suited for this area? Suggestions?

We plant Harrison Oats -

Comment

Where do you get those?

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
        I'm getting ready to plant a food plot this year. I scalp mowed everything last weekend. I plan on discing it next weekend. Haven't bought any seed yet though. I usually just pick up 150 pounds of the Fall mix from the local feed store, or maybe get a few different small bags of biologic stuff from BPS. My lease is 50 miles west of San Antonio. Did a soil test 2 years ago and didn't need any lime, just added some 15-15-15 afterwards. I've got 2'different plots. One is about 2 1/2 acres and is more or less sandy loam, the other about 1/2 acre and is a dark loam/clay mix.
        Can't decide if I just stay with the Fall mix, or try to order something better suited for this area? Suggestions?
        Seed oats. Ever tried wheat. Will handle the freezes .
        I add elbon rye for variety with my oats and wheat on my sandy soil.

Big pig

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
          Where do you get those?
          I get them at a local feed store

Comment

Working...
          X