I am a bowhunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am a bowhunter

Sorry for the long read but stick with me here. My dad gave me a Winchester model 70 lightweight in .243 when I was 14. I shot a ton of prairie dogs and coyotes around Muleshoe TX honing my skill. My first deer hunt in Garden City TX yielded a spike, doe and a slick six. I thought deer hinting was super easy. Fast forward several years and many hill country deer from San Saba in the freezer, I was looking for a change.

Four years ago I bought a Hoyt Maxxis 35 from a good friend of mine. It replaced an old Hoyt that my dad gave me several years ago. I practiced and became comfortable with my skill after several months. Since then I’ve had the opportunity to hunt Southeastern Oklahoma three years in a row with no success. The Kiamichi mountains are way different than my time growing up in the panhandle of Texas. I’ve rifle hunted since I was 14 in Texas but those Oklahoma mountains are way different. This past weekend I was fortunate to have have a great friend invite me to his ranch in Brady. It’s beautiful, well managed and first class all the way. We arrived on Friday afternoon and decided to rifle hunt from a box blind. The quality of deer they have is incredible and fun to watch. The shooters didn’t show so we retreated to their lovely home on the ranch to make plans for Saturday morning.

After a few Lone Star lights and a game of darts we decided to bowhunt Saturday morning. Morning comes fast and I climb up in the tripod and settle in, the temperature is around 30 and a light wind is stirring up. Just as day breaks I realize the slight breeze is at my back and I know it’s not good. I had 12 different bucks work their way in but wouldn’t commit because they knew something was wrong. All in all a great sit. Watching the herd they’ve grown was special. Saturday afternoon was slow. A nice 10 made a showing and two younger eights ate from a disatance. No blood was drawn but another great evening was in the books.

After a perfectly cooked pork loin and sides we were tossing darts and figuring out our last hunt for Sunday morning. I’m not picky but wanted to bring something home. I had settled on sitting with my ole trusty .243 and upping my odds. My buddy says “No, we’re bow hunting- I want you to get your first archery deer”. I said okay and two Fireball shots later we go to bed.

I’m in the tripod at 6:00 am. I’m settled and ready. At 6:55 I get the coughs. I try to hold them in but it’s not working. Luckily the feeder goes off and I can clear my throat. Deer start feeding in. 1...2....3...4...bucks make their way to the feeder. The wind is right and I feel confident. None are shooters but I have activity. Then out of the corner of my left eye three doe are trying to sneak in. They mill around while I analyze their size and maturity. Just as I pick one out to take a small buck makes a run and scares them off. They leave and my excitement has turned to disbelief. Fortunately one doe turns and makes her way back in. Unfortunately for her she got to 15 yards broadside and I sent a Gold Tip Hunter XT with a 100 grain Rage Hypodermic through the boiler room. I’m ecstatic at the moment but doubt sets in concerning the fast paced events that just happened. Was the shot good? Did that piece of s$&t rage open?

I slowly put my things together and climb down from the tripod. I want to find the arrow. I do and blood looks good. I give it 40 minutes and get curious to find blood. 60 yards later I see the unmistakable whit belly and know the deed is done. Now I’m f’ing pumped!!

She’s a normal hill country doe and won’t feed the family all winter but Kroger is just across the street. I can’t thank my great friend enough for inviting me to their “little oasis” and helping me connect for the first time. I also need to thank my family here for the knowledge that is available at the click of a button.

Happy holidays!!!

And I can’t upload pictures.

Comment

Congratulations!

Text pic to 9zero3-5six9-715five if needed

Comment

Attaboy!

Comment

Congrats bro!!

Comment

Congrats on your bow doe!!

Entertaining account, as well. Thanks for sharing the experience!

Comment

Congrats on the doe! Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                Congratulations!

Text pic to 9zero3-5six9-715five if needed
                Headed your way Low Fence. Thank you!

Comment

They ain’t gonna carry that far! Good shot!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Congratulations on the doe!
                    Attached Files

Comment

I’ve been waiting to make this post for several years.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Well done and congrats. Your excitement shows and that’s what it’s all about.

Comment

That’s what it’s all about!

Comment

Working...
                              X