#2 for my not so lost season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#2 for my not so lost season

It still doesn't seem real. What I thought would be a forgone season has somehow turned into one of my best seasons on record.

Many of you seen my thread last week about a great buck I took on an invite hunt in Llano Co.

Although I was plenty thankful and happy with the buck, its just not the same feeling when taken with a bow, or at your own set up where you put the work in. With the remaining season in doubt, I convinced my wife to afford me a hunt or two each weekend, and I would help out relieving her on taking care of the Emmett the rest of the time. Although I did catch some grief, she agreed.

Four years ago I began hunting Bastrop County through the generosity of a pair of landowners. I'm forever grateful to these gentlemen, as with this year the time I was able to spend hunting sure helped me unwind from the stresses brought about from my worry over Emmett. I put a ton of work into both properties getting them set up. I moved stand locations multiple times, hiked corn in to an area that wasn't accessible, and even moved a feeder 5 yards in an effort to help with the wind. Hunting Bastrop is nothing like hunting in west Texas that I was use to. You could slap a feeder up just about anywhere and see deer out west. In Bastrop, I had to spend time scouting to find a place that would produce deer. Even so, I would say at least 60% of my hunts resulted in no deer.

I posted a rant thread here about how the seemingly predominate west wind was keeping me from hunting a spot that I had pics of a really good buck at. Most everyone said to wait it out, which made the most sense to me as well. It's crazy, but my first opportunity to hunt that stand came a month and a half later from the last time I hunted it. The wind was still starting out from the west, but was projected to change out of the south. I decided to take my chances and give it a go.

This past Sunday morning I found myself heavy eyed, half asleep, in a tripod watching the morning come alive; reflecting upon the blessing that have been bestowed on me. I spent most of the night up with Emmett, and was running on just a few hours of sleep. Not long after daylight I had a mature 8 enter the scene. Knowing I was about at the end of my rope with my time away from the family, I contemplated taking this guy and calling it a year. But the pictures I had of a brute in early November kept me from doing such. This buck was worth waiting for. Luckily for me, I made a wise choice in letting him walk. About 30 minutes later, I catch movement to my left. I immediately notice antlers, and proceeded to clip my release on. As he clears, I'm in shock to see that's it's the big boy I was after! He came in on a string, and started feeding on hand corn at 18 yards. He was hard quartering away, and as tempting as it was, I decided to hold off for a better shot. After a long, 30 minute buck fever filled wait, the buck finally provided a broadside, 18 yard shot. It took a many of "please Lord let me get an opportunity at this buck" to get him turned lol. I eased the bow string back, took a second to try and calm my shot nerves, and touched the release. The Lord wanted me to have this buck, as I hit him high, but luckily dropping him where he stood. I immediately nocked another arrow and sent it for good measure. Ill be honest here, when the buck picked his head up after the second shot, I did send a third one into him. This one split his heart in half, and did the trick. I just wasn't going to risk this buck getting away! In my defense, I had the most violent case of buck fever in my life. If that buck would have looked up into my tree, he would have most certainly seen my arrow flopping around in my rest as I shook like a leaf. Boy I love this bow hunting stuff!

This buck might be the most meaningful of my hunting career. Considering everything leading up to this point, I'm so very fortunate. My first archery buck in my home county, and he might make a push to be my largest buck ever taken. I'm tempted to call him a 13 point, but if we're being technical, that last point is just a little short. I have a goal of killing a main frame 12, and this guy is about a quarter of an inch away from that goal! I knew he was a mature deer, and looking at his teeth proved just that. His third and fourth molars were worn down to the gum line.

After a rough start to the season, I vowed I was done bow hunting until I was able to practice more. I wounded a doe last season from the same exact spot, then did it again this October on another doe. I was just sick at myself, and considering I was stacking squirrels up with my bow just two years ago, knew I could do better. I made time to fling some arrows in the back yard, and felt confident enough I could get it done. The fact that I hit this buck high shows I still have some work. A change in my release seems to be where everything went downhill on me. Im ready to get back to my old shooting self this off season. Sorry for the long read, but Im pretty proud of this buck!

Pics

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

what a brute!

Comment

Very Nice, Congrats!

Comment

Congrats on a Toad for sure
          Last edited by kruppa24; 12-17-2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Both great bucks!!
            Thank you for sharing.
            Congrats!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What a great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Whoa! Great buck, congrats!

Comment

Heck of a buck! Congrats!

Comment