No announcement yet.

Looking to buy a 25-06 for my son...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve seen some special run Ruger American Predator in 25-06, but again can’t find any reviews of them and 22” Barrel. And they feel kinda cheap....

Comment

Don’t worry so much about the shorter barrel. I have four 25-06’s. One is a Sako A7 with a 22 7/16 barrel. It isn’t louder to the shooter than my 26” Sendero. As far as performance, I haven’t noticed the short barrel being a handicap at my normal hunting distances inside 300 yards.

Comment

So i read something about because it’s an overbore cartridge, all the powder isn’t quite burned in the shorter barrels vs the longer barrels. This could be old obsolete info with newer powders etc idk.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
          So i read something about because it’s an overbore cartridge, all the powder isn’t quite burned in the shorter barrels vs the longer barrels. This could be old obsolete info with newer powders etc idk.
          The deer and hogs won’t know the difference! If you like Savage rifles and want a 25-06 that would be the combination to get. My little Sako stays in the truck year round, it hasn’t failed me yet.

Comment

Never seen a vanguard that wouldn't shoot well.

That would be my choice in that price range. And I would not buy a 25-06 without at least 24" barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Txdeerhunter243 View Post
              Never seen a vanguard that wouldn't shoot well.

That would be my choice in that price range. And I would not buy a 25-06 without at least 24" barrel.
              Kinda leaning that way, as i think they’re a better built rifle then a Savage. Anyone know the best price online for these. $499 local plus tax or if I can find one online there a $30 FFL fee

Comment

He’s shot several with my 308 and he’s dead set on a rifle that has more potential to drop them in their tracks. I’ve tried a lot of different ammo, and the deer usually don’t go far, but rarely drop from a 308, and we helped track a perfectly double lung shot doe on a youth hunt shot with a 308, zero blood trail. Shot with a psp 150gr Federal.
                No matter what caliber you shoot a deer with, it will almost always run if you are shooting them right behind the shoulder. Shoot top half of the shoulder = drt.

Comment

Kinda leaning that way, as i think they’re a better built rifle then a Savage. Anyone know the best price online for these. $499 local plus tax or if I can find one online there a $30 FFL fee
                  Buy from Bud's. Check out the "weatherguard". Same gun but it is cerakoted for only $50 more

I'm a big weatherby vanguard fan but you will want to put a Timney trigger in it at some point...an extra $100

Comment

It's an accurate statement...I bet a 22" gun would have one heck of a fireball out of the muzzle.

26 would be optimal for this cal IMO but a 24 will work fine. Most of your 26" guns will have a build along the lines of the sendero which I prefer for blind hunting. Could be a bit much for a kiddo with any amount of walking.

Comment

Dad has a vanguard in 25-06 and it is a great gun with moderate recoil and very accurate

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Bryan View Post
                        No matter what caliber you shoot a deer with, it will almost always run if you are shooting them right behind the shoulder. Shoot top half of the shoulder = drt.
                        have to disagree, I have shot 50+ right behind the shoulder and everyone of them dropped right there..... might be a caliber or bullet issue with your problems

Comment

I’ve heard they need to have at least a 24” inch barrel and it’s hard to beat Savage for off the shelf accuracy. Doesn’t seem like they make one with a 24” Barrel. Any recommendations on brand or rifle. Thanks.
                          I know you did not ask about it but the 270 would be a great choice and is common with slightly shorter barrels

Comment

I ave’s a tikka in 25-06 and it is a tack driver

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech Shooter View Post
                              I ave’s a tikka in 25-06 and it is a tack driver
                              How long is the barrel?

Comment

4,000,000+ customers since 2003. Buy guns for sale online. Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, rifles & muzzleloaders (Firearms ship to FFL only.)

Haven’t really found anyone who can match there prices.

Also Academy is dumping some bolt actions cheap next week for “Black Friday”. Might check there too.

Comment

Working...
                                X