Worth even trying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth even trying?

First off I have reached out to GW already. Still waiting to hear back.

Here is the issue. Last year I had a really neat Freak Buck (3 main beams) coming in daily from July to November. Actually watched him in person a couple times. I did not believe he was legal nor was he mature. I would have put him at 3.5 maybe 4.5 max. Anyway he disappeared just after Thanksgiving and I never got another pic of him.

During that same time I was keeping an eye on deer at the ranch I work for down the road 10 miles. Located in the same County. I watched a 140s 9pt with very distinctive G2s and G3s that curved in on a Tuesday running a doe. Took a couple pics with my phone for proof to show the boss. The land the deer was on is surrounded by family land of my boss except for a 100 acre area. This deer was nowhere near that 100 acre piece. 3 days later I am sitting in the stand at my place and a buddy text me saying my neighbor just killed a big buck next to me. I replied saying I'm in the stand and didn't hear anyone shoot. 30 minutes later he sends me pics of a dead buck. It ended up being the big 9pt that I watched 3 days earlier on a doe at my bosses place. Red flags immediately went up and I started making a couple phone calls. A week of trying to figure out where this deer was killed went and I finally just let it go.

Fast forward to this past Saturday. I was working cattle and had a neighbor call me for some work I needed done that he specializes in. We got onto the subject of hunting and I told him I would like to get to know anyone I am not familiar with that hunts around us. He seemed well management minded based off everything he told me. He starts mentioning a couple people and the guys name that killed the 9pt comes up. I didn't say anything and just let him continue on with his story. Ends up the guy shot the Freak (3 beam) buck on the property just north of mine. For one I really don't think the buck was legal. I have no issue if he decided to shoot it but I now have heard of 2 buck kills by this guy last season and who knows how many more. This same guy killed a 12pt I had on camera 2 seasons ago the last wknd of Muzzleloader supposedly on his home place which is 6 miles from my land. At the time I didn't own the land but my buddy was leasing it and he had pics the day before it was killed at his feeder. Buck must have traveled 6 miles in a 10 hr period for the Mineral block he says he shot it over. He was certain he poached it but there was no way of telling.

So what can be done. GW make a visit and see if he can find both racks? Would the guy just say his wife or kids shot them? Sure is frustrating. My inlaws know the guy very well and have had nothing but negative encounters with him.

I have pics of both bucks. I have contacts of people who stated what he shot last season.

Here is a pic of the Freak and Curved Tines 9pt. I know the pic of 9pt is blurry but if you zoom in you can see the curved tines and weak right side. I have text with details of the buck to my boss that morning well before it was killed that describe him exactly.
    Attached Files

Not real sure if anything much can be done about those deer now. It would take significant time and effort on a GW's part to investigate, and I dont know if they would. Lots of speculation in the story, but I agree that something is fishy. May want to invest in a couple low end game cams and put them out in some hidden areas and maybe catch somebody moving around where they shouldnt be.

Comment

Man, I woulda liked to seen what the extra beam buck woulda looked like this year.

Comment

If nothing else, if you told your story to a GW and presented him with what evidence you have, it would at least raise their awareness of the guy so maybe they can watch him a little closer in the future for violations. If he's an illegal hunter, he's not likely to change his habits and maybe he can be caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Dustinb09 View Post
          Man, I woulda liked to seen what the extra beam buck woulda looked like this year.
          I know. I was really looking forward to seeing him with another year of growth.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            If nothing else, if you told your story to a GW and presented him with what evidence you have, it would at least raise their awareness of the guy so maybe they can watch him a little closer in the future for violations. If he's an illegal hunter, he's not likely to change his habits and maybe he can be caught.
            That's what I'm thinking. Bring everything to their attention and I bet they keep a closer eye on him and his whereabouts.

Comment

While some parts of what he did may be hard to pin down, like how many bucks he shot and where, the game warden can still cite and confiscate if the freak buck was under 13”. I would be really mad if I were you and would definitely tell the game warden. Many times people’s stories unravel when questioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by centex_aggie View Post
                While some parts of what he did may be hard to pin down, like how many bucks he shot and where, the game warden can still cite and confiscate if the freak buck was under 13”. I would be really mad if I were you and would definitely tell the game warden. Many times people’s stories unravel when questioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                GWs know how to keep questioning for them to slip up as well!

Comment

Try it....they love tips like this.

Comment

So you mad one of your neighbors killed a buck you wanted? And are complaining to the GW? Seems pretty petty to me. You are basing all this on hearsay. You dont have any actual evidence. Put the shoe on the other foot. How would you like your neighbors always in your business? Just my take on it. I dont have a dog in this whatever you call it.

Comment

Some guys have all the luck. Without any actual evidence nothing can be done. He may just be a really lucky hunter. At the end of the day I'd rather be lucky than good.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                        So you mad one of your neighbors killed a buck you wanted? And are complaining to the GW? Seems pretty petty to me. You are basing all this on hearsay. You dont have any actual evidence. Put the shoe on the other foot. How would you like your neighbors always in your business? Just my take on it. I dont have a dog in this whatever you call it.
                        I'm by no means mad that a neighbor of low fence hunting killed a buck I was watching. That's part of it. As I stated in my OP good for him but hope he was legal. Too close for me to make that call! Killing 2 bucks in a 1 13" wider buck county I have a problem with. Poaching a deer off property that he has no permission to hunt I have a problem with. I'm not complaining to the Warden in the way you think. More like notifying him of illegal taking of game!

You say no actual evidence? Yeah ok. I'm not posting everything I have here!

Comment

The county this took place in you can take 2 bucks. AR regs apply.

Comment

I wouldn't hesitate to notify the GW, especially if you have hard evidence or at least enough to raise concerns of illegal doings. If he is innocent then that will be evident. 2 branched antlered bucks in one season, unless its legal in your county. I thought muzzleloader season was for taking doe and spikes only, unless your county is different?

The Triple Beam buck was nice and young. It would have been nice to see him live a couple more years.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              I wouldn't hesitate to notify the GW, especially if you have hard evidence or at least enough to raise concerns of illegal doings. If he is innocent then that will be evident. 2 branched antlered bucks in one season, unless its legal in your county. I thought muzzleloader season was for taking doe and spikes only, unless your county is different?

The Triple Beam buck was nice and young. It would have been nice to see him live a couple more years.
                              Muzzleloader we can take a trophy buck. We are an AR County with 2 bucks a season. (1) 13" or greater. I can't say anything about the buck from 2 seasons ago. That was hearsay but sure was fishy! For the other 2 I have dang good evidence IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X