Fishing Rod Handle Re-corking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing Rod Handle Re-corking

I’m heading out to the Rocky Mountains with my wife and kids next month and I’m going to be using my late father’s fly rod for trout fishing. I used it last year and the cork handle is falling apart. The rod is probably 25-30 years old and nothing fancy. It does have some sentimental value because it was my dad’s and I remember so many years of fishing beside him in the river with him using that rod.

So I’d like to get the handle re-corked and I honestly don’t want to try a DIY because I don’t want to screw it up and I figure this isn’t the rod to practice on.

Does anyone know of a place I could ship the rod and get it repaired? I’d like to get this done ASAP because we leave in about 35-40 days so I don’t have a ton of time.

Any advice is appreciated. And if it’s just both worth it, I’m fine with that too. I don’t want to spend $200 on a rod that didn’t cost that new.

- Jason

Call the Fishing Tackle Unlimited on Katy Freeway in Houston. I worked there for a summer. The rod guy there, Kenny, is an absolute guru. He should be able to help you out within your time bind. Call in, ask to speak with the shop, then ask for Kenny. If I were you, I would wait until you caught him on the phone before sending it, he is not there every day. But the guy knows what he is doing. I think he is your best bet. Here is their phone: (713) 827-7762. Good luck.

Comment

Any custom rod builder should be able to replace the cork grip. The reel seat will have to be removed so depending on how the reel seat is attached, the reel seat might have to be replaced also.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
        Any custom rod builder should be able to replace the cork grip. The reel seat will have to be removed so depending on how the reel seat is attached, the reel seat might have to be replaced also.
        On a fly rod you should not have to remove the reel seat. You can cut off the stripper guide and re cork witha pre shaped handle, put on a check on the front of the cork, and rewrap the stripper guide. It's an easy fix. Hardest part is getting old cork off.

I know the rod has a lot of sentimental value, but may be more than it is worth depending on make of rod.

Comment

What brand of rod? The manufacturer will probably do it.

Comment

Should be able to split the cork rings and glue them back together around rod, then hand sand it to shape. Not much taper in a fly rod.

Comment

I know a guy in Cassville,Missouri that builds custom Bamboo Fly Rods, his specialty is restoring fly rods. I took a old fly rod my father had had. It was made by south Bend. Nothing expensive properly K Mart back in the day. Gordon rewrapped it and cleaned it up
              GL Fishing Rods Ph #417 665 9345. Name is Gordon

Comment

Thank you for all the replies! I had some PM's as well and I've contacted one of the suggested custom rod makers who also does repair. I sent him pics and he's going to get an estimate for me. His initial thoughts were somewhere around $40-$50 + shipping and he was very apologetic about that price. I told him I thought it was very fair.

I'd spend $100 (total) on the deal if I could get it fixed back up in good shape, the rod is in perfect condition otherwise. And as some have mentioned, it might not be worth fixing and honestly, the rod would probably bring $25 in a garage sale so spending $100 is probably dumb. It has sentimental value but I'm also a pretty reasonable guy and if I broke it I'd throw it away and go on. But I do think if I could fix it up and use it, it would be a cool hand-me-down for my son.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll report back.

Jason

Comment

Does it have a brand name on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    Does it have a brand name on it?
                    Yes sir, it's a Bruin.

Jason

Comment

Working...
                    X