No announcement yet.

My deer are gone.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought crows were typically a misidentification for grackles?

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
      I check my feeders on a weekly basis and they never run dry. I’ve been feeding apple scented corn for about a month now. WT just vanished. Might have to up my feed game with some cottonseed and alfalfa. I did see a young turkey for the first time. It appeared it was chasing the crows away from the feeder lol.
      Might be your answer

Maybe they don't like the apple

I would change back and see what happens

Other than that, one or more of your neighbors is offering better groceries

Comment

It's July... Deer are in their summer pattern. With as much rain that Texas has gotten, they have plenty to eat and don't have to come to feeders now. Their movement is minimal at best. They're not traveling any further than they have to for food/water/bedding.

Corn is to a deer like M&M's are to us. Sure, they taste good but you can't live off of it unless you absolutely have to.

They'll start coming back towards the end of August.

Comment

Hunting crows is fun.

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
            "Ravens are as big as Red-tailed Hawks, and crows are about the size of pigeons. The raven is all black, has a 3.5-4 ft wingspan and is around 24-27 inches from head to tail. The crow is also black, has a 2.5 ft wingspan and is about 17 inches long."

Crows are what come into my feeder pens sometimes in large groups and are loud sunny beaches. Don't see any deer when they flock in...
            Right, I know the difference between the two I do most of my hunting in the Rocksprings area and there are Ravens. I have Nat-Geo quality video of ravens with sika/wt/axis at feeders; not saying they don’t run them off I just haven’t seen it.

Comment

If you have "tons" of hogs showing up at feeders, then you are wasting corn. I would turn the feeders off and build a pen out of hog panels and enclose the feeders. More than likely you still have deer around but they are feeding somewhere else because you have too much pressure from the hogs.

Comment

This is a small example of the ravens/crows visiting my feeder twice a day everyday for the last 2wks. They start coming in just after sunup and stay for several hours. Then they show up again about 2 to 3 hrs before sunset and stay til just before sunset. In other pics I've counted over 40 birds at the feeder. The WT were still coming around even with the high hog activity prior to the ravens/crows coming in.

Comment

Disregard what I said, those are crows. Never seen flocks of them like that in Camp Wood; only ravens and usually in pairs.

Comment

Looks like a case of the birds

Comment

Just a possibility, but crows and ravens will flock to carrion, and there has been a anthrax outbreak south of Sonora. I have an unconfirmed report from near Montell too.

Comment

Would owl decoys work or is lead shot the only option?

Comment

crow hunts are a blast and looks like you have plenty of targets, go get em.

Comment

Always take out the scout first!

Comment

Other then a few does here and there at our place nothing is hitting the corn but they are hammering the protein. We had a protein feeder run out of protein I put some corn cotton seed in it because that’s all I had with me at the time. Before the protein ran out we had about 6 bucks hitting it nightly. They didn’t touch that corn cotton seed . But during January and February they wouldn’t touch the protein but hammered the corn cotton seed mix . So who knows.

Comment

Pellet gun time!

Comment

Working...
                                X