• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also get a daily pretrip inspection book

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      Serious question, not bashing at all...

What convinced you to do all of this with brand spanking new equipment? Why not a 2-3yr old truck and used trailer? Or for that matter, a 10yr old truck and trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I’ll start with the machine: Forestry mulching is extremely hard on this machine. Anyone you ask will tell you the same. It’s nasty conditions, non stop dust and dirt. Many of these machines catch on fire doing this type of work with them. A new CAT like this one comes with a 2yr/2000hr no questions asked warranty. If it’s breaks, it’s covered 100%. With me just starting out, I didn’t want to risk buying a used machine that could potentially break down on me at anytime and need extremely costly repairs (that I couldn’t afford) out of pocket. Also, these machines used with less than 1000hrs on them, only sell for about $15K-$20K less than a brand new one. For that amount, it was a no brainer for me to buy new. Whoever mentioned going into debt for 10-12 years.....my machine is on a 6yr note. I paid 20% down also out of pocket. However the 6yrs doesn’t matter. When the warranty runs out, it’ll be sold or traded back into CAT and I’ll start over with a new one. I accept that I’m going to have that payment as “cost of doing business” every month. When the numbers are ran, I only need to run the machine 2 days (10hrs each) a month to cover my payment and my insurance. That also counting the fuel it took to run those 2 days.

On the trailer: I searched Oklahoma and Texas for a good used trailer. I could not find any that fit the bill of what I needed (20K pounds or more). The couple I did find were either 40ft long or beat up junk. I didn’t want either. Also, I paid for the trailer out of my pocket. Zero bank debt on that. If I was to get into a bind, I could easily liquidate the trailer for cash.

The truck: I typically only keep a truck 2yrs and I sell it or trade it in. This truck is going to be used as a work truck pulling a heavy load wherever it goes. I didn’t want to buy a used truck with 80K-100K miles on it and constantly be wondering if it was going to need repairs (of any kind) that would cause me down time and out of pocket expense. I sold my 2018 F-150 and bought this 19 F350. I had about $16K in equity in my 18 that I used to pay down on my the 19. My payment only changed $94 per month going to the F350 Powerstroke. This truck is not my only vehicle. I have 4Runner that I drive most of the time. I always keep two vehicles at the house. I guess this stems from me growing up dirt poor (with my mother) and her vehicle always being broke down and we didn’t have any transportation long periods of time. If one goes down, I always have another to hop in and take off.

I didn’t jump into this without running the numbers on it all. My home and my land are all paid for. I don’t have any kids. I have a very good paying job. Even if I didn’t make any money with the machine, I could still afford to pay for it all and not starve to death. I do realize that I am fortunate to be able to do this. Not many are in that type of financial situation.

So basically I just weighed my options and felt that for me, in my situation, it was better to go with a new machine. The truck is irrelevant. I’m always going to have vehicle payments. It’s just a cost of living to me. The trailer, I just simply couldn’t find a used one and I was over a barrel and had to have one now.

Comment

Congrats on some GREAT looking equipment and I wish you the very best luck with your new company——-you really seemed to have put pen to paper on the deal

Comment

Sounds to me you did your homework an made your choices. Congratulations on the new adventure.

I should close in the next 30 days on the Eufaula place. I'm good with 2 fulls days from you at your rates. I agree your priced low, but this isn't a machine you will be proficient with right away.

Talk soon

Sean

Comment

I got to spend some time on the machine this evening. This is an old feed lot that has been growing up for 20 years. I worked on it for about 30-40 minutes just to see how much I could clear out in a short time. Pics are of the same place. Just before and after. The machine is a Boss. It makes me smile when I blow thru a big cedar and my air conditioner fills the cab with that scent of cedar.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
              There is a CAT scale at the truck stop out by the interstate. When I get a chance, I’ll find out what it all weights.
              It will be heavy. My Kubota weighs about 3,000 lbs less than your Cat.

The Kubota was in the dump trailer on that scale ticket. It weighs more than the Gator.
              Attached Files

Comment

I think you played it very wisely for your circumstances.

Aside from the dirt and dust, those big implements like that mulcher create a lot of heat due to the constant strain of those hi flow hydraulics. The vibration has got to be pretty substantial as well. I’d keep a close eye on the hydro fluid and filters.

A used trailer like that would almost certainly mean $1100 or more for tires. You don’t want to put that much weight and money on the road without going through the bearings and brakes either, which is gonna be another $500 likely as not. Starting off new there is great peace of mind, not to mention getting exactly what you want.

Truck is a truck. If you’re used to a payment, may as well have a nice truck.

I look forward to hearing how it moves along.[emoji1360]

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                  Sounds to me you did your homework an made your choices. Congratulations on the new adventure.

I should close in the next 30 days on the Eufaula place. I'm good with 2 fulls days from you at your rates. I agree your priced low, but this isn't a machine you will be proficient with right away.

Talk soon

Sean
                  Be happy to take care of you sir. Just let me know when.

Comment

Here's a scale ticket with just the truck(and me). Same scale same day.

There is 3,700 on the drive axle. With the trailer and Kubota there was 7,400 on the drive axle. 3,700 of that was on the pin. That is why I prefer a dually. You don't get tire squirm like in a srw truck.

You also have better stability when things go south.
                    In this case, things went south on I-75 at 75 miles an hour. I didn't even know it until I saw smoke and thought I was on fire.

No one killed or injured. No damage done(for the most part).
                    Attached Files

Comment

That’s wild that you gain zero on the steers. My dually would gain about 550 on the steers loaded heavy, which I liked.

Comment

I got to spend some time on the machine this evening. This is an old feed lot that has been growing up for 20 years. I worked on it for about 30-40 minutes just to see how much I could clear out in a short time. Pics are of the same place. Just before and after. The machine is a Boss. It makes me smile when I blow thru a big cedar and my air conditioner fills the cab with that scent of cedar.

That’s awesome! I could do that for a long time and not get tired of it.

How much fuel do you expect to burn in a day with the skid steer?

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          That’s awesome! I could do that for a long time and not get tired of it.

How much fuel do you expect to burn in a day with the skid steer?

It has a 32 gal tank and it’s supposed to run 8.5-10 hours on that.

Comment

Picked up new truck and trailer today.

A 30-40 gallon aux tank to put in the truck would sure be nice so you could leave the trailer and Cat on site for multi day jobs. Also a GOOD grease gun to lube the machine EVERY day. PM is paramount for efficiency on a machine like that.

Comment

Post up a video sometime if you can. Love watching these machines work.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                                Generally speaking all dual tandem trailers will put you in the CDL requirements. That's why you're seeing more single dual axle trailers on the road. Farm tags will usually pull the heat off for me, but with you having a company, that's out of the question.

To address some of the comments above, the only problem with the single dual axle trailers is on a 25 or 30' trailer, they're so easy to overload. My 30' deck over is only rated to haul 9,090 pounds. People always confuse their trailers GVWR with how much they can put on the trailer. Once you deduct the trailer weight from the GVWR, there's not much left on dual 7k axles. Since you got dual tandems it's obviously not a problem.

You got some awesome equipment. Good luck on your new business!
                                People don't understand the weights at all. Folks see the word diesel and think load the wagon until it goes pop. I had a hot shot trailer that was single tandem. The two times I had blow outs on tires it was not fun!

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                                Run the truck over the scales. My truck is very similar to yours, and has a payload capacity of 3283 lbs. Your rig is 14,500, and I’m guessing your trailer weight at roughly 6500-7000 lbs. A typical gooseneck load distributes 15-20% of total weight to the pin. That’s a pin weight of 3100-4100 lbs. The truck completely empty of tools and just that load could be legally overweight. The truck is more than capable of handling it, but that doesn’t mean DOT isn’t going to write you a very large ticket.

I didn’t want a dually and I don’t need one. Would it be more stable, sure. But my truck will work just fine. I greatly appreciate all the helpful advice and info I’ve received from everyone so far.
                                Good luck in your adventures Sir

Comment

Working...
                                X