Smoker Diameter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker Diameter?

Thinking about building my own smoker, what size pipe do y’all think is best? Was thinking either 22” or 24”.

What’s the size you think would be best?

Use what you have. Google barbeque pit dimensions there is a website that will calculate all your stuff to make it flow properly.

Comment

Comment

^^^ what he said. Very useful website. Will it be on a trailer or no?

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
          Use what you have. Google barbeque pit dimensions there is a website that will calculate all your stuff to make it flow properly.
          This. Far more important that you have the design and size ratios correct than worry about 2" of pipe diameter.

LWD

Comment

Not going to be on a trailer.

I’ll be buying the material, I don’t have any.

Understand about ratio, but my question was about diameter preference, sometimes 2” makes a difference!

Comment

I would suggest looking at some of the popular/reputable smokers sold commercially and see the sizes they are and go from there. Those guys would not be in business if the pits weren't functional and efficient

Comment

If you’re looking for a backyard smoker on casters a 125gallon propane tank works great or go with 24” casing. Try to stay 1/4” or thicker on the tank you use and firebox I would try to stay in 5/16” on up to 3/8” or even 1/2”

Comment

30"×60"

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
                    If you’re looking for a backyard smoker on casters a 125gallon propane tank works great or go with 24” casing. Try to stay 1/4” or thicker on the tank you use and firebox I would try to stay in 5/16” on up to 3/8” or even 1/2”
                    Great feedback, thanks.

Comment

If you use a propane tank cut your doors, everything but the corners. Let it cool overnight then finish. You run the risk of your doors "springing" if its all cut hot. Propane tanks are especially bad about it.

Comment

I used 20" on mine, and wished I had used 24" now. Just to have another rack to put meat on.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
                          I used 20" on mine, and wished I had used 24" now. Just to have another rack to put meat on.
                          This is what I'm thinking, I see a lot of 20" models, but that just seems too small.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Mine will be a 30" when/if I ever get done with it. I wanna be able to put a big whole hog on it. And it will be a hybrid type with optional trad very reverse flow.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kilt. Gotta go!

Comment

24" STD wall pipe (.375" thick) is the direction I would go. When you lay out your door, make the cut 1" below the centerline (see first picture). This will help maximize space if you are doing pull out grates. I also like 24" because you can more easily fit an upper pullout. There is just not enough room on 20" for useable double pullouts.

I would stay away from the propane tanks. They can be a pain to work with.

pics:
                              1. 20" pipe with doors layed out.
                              2. 24" pit with double slides
                              3. 24" pit installed
                              4. 20" pit showing small upper rack.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X