Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #51
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young
 
elliscountyhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ferris,Tx
Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post
Where are you guys getting cottonseed? I've been striking out
You in this neighborhood too? Aint no golf courses around is there?
elliscountyhog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #52
Swampa
Pope & Young
 
Swampa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
You in this neighborhood too? Aint no golf courses around is there?
Ha! I'm 10 mins north of Coleman. Where you located?
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:40 PM   #53
Swampa
Pope & Young
 
Swampa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Is that San Angelo?
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #54
txwhitetail
Ten Point
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post
Is that San Angelo?
Close enough but your borderline yankee up there!
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #55
Hookem84
Pope & Young
 
Hookem84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: marble falls
Hunt In: Llano county
Default

What's good places to eat buy supplies/feed and any other places worth mentioning in the area?
Hookem84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:48 PM   #56
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem84 View Post
What's good places to eat buy supplies/feed and any other places worth mentioning in the area?

I like Palmers in San Angelo. They always run good sale prices on corn on Friday and Saturday plus it is good clean stuff. You don't have to worry about it being left out in the rain etc. Their alfalfa is great stuff too and their price is competitive with other feed stores I have bought from.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #57
txwhitetail
Ten Point
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I like Palmers in San Angelo. They always run good sale prices on corn on Friday and Saturday plus it is good clean stuff. You don't have to worry about it being left out in the rain etc. Their alfalfa is great stuff too and their price is competitive with other feed stores I have bought from.
I like angelo pellets on deer protein and Palmers on corn normally. Both on north side of town.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #58
Todd-ty729
Pope & Young
 
Todd-ty729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Double Oak(Flower Mound), Denton County
Hunt In: Irion County and formerly Mexico
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post
Where are you guys getting cottonseed? I've been striking out
Rowena Milling is about 5 miles out of Ballinger on 67 heading towards Angelo

last week it was $215 a ton

Miles is a good source as well.
Todd-ty729 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #59
Swampa
Pope & Young
 
Swampa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRagan83 View Post
miles gin 325-468-3461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Did you try the Walls gin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd-ty729 View Post
Rowena Milling is about 5 miles out of Ballinger on 67 heading towards Angelo

last week it was $215 a ton

Miles is a good source as well.
Thanks!
Swampa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #60
TheHammer
Ten Point
 
TheHammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Carthage, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green Co, Panola Co, TX
Default

Palmers for corn. They usually have some sort of deal going.
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #61
TxNurse
Ten Point
 
TxNurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Angelo, TX
Hunt In: Southern Nolan County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem84 View Post
What's good places to eat buy supplies/feed and any other places worth mentioning in the area?
I just go to Palmers for corn and feed. I set up my own bows, but The Outdoorsman is the local bow shop, and nice guys--don't know how good they are. Probably someone on here can give feedback on their service. Also good to deal with on firearms. Fast food--Rosa's. That may get you a start.
TxNurse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 01:56 PM   #62
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young
 
elliscountyhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ferris,Tx
Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post
Ha! I'm 10 mins north of Coleman. Where you located?
I thought so. Wasn't sure if you moved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampa View Post
Is that San Angelo?
Read below for best answer HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Close enough but your borderline yankee up there!
elliscountyhog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 03:47 PM   #63
HFD38
Four Point
 
HFD38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spring, TX
Hunt In: Trinity / Centerville / San Angelo
Default

In..it's our second year near Water Valley.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HFD38 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #64
GarrettRob17
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: College Station
Hunt In: San Angelo (Tom Green)
Talking New to San Angelo Hutning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
It was a pretty good thread in 2016 again and with protein, cottonseed, alfalfa, turkey and coon killing season coming up it's time to start a new one.

Post up your pics and stories fellas as usual. Hunts, trail camera pics, LDPs, work weekends, new projects, food, drinks, coons and other varmint carnages are all welcome! The more participation (and last year was a great example) the better the thread. Here's to a bountiful 2017 for us Angelo area hunters!
I will be getting setup this spring on a lease in Tom Green county. Cant wait to see what San Angelo has in store!
GarrettRob17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #65
SPUD
Pope & Young
 
SPUD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hallsville, TX
Hunt In: Nacogdoches & Shelby Co; Unit 12 KS
Default

Was really considering looking for a lease out there, but I'm concerned about that drive all the time from Longview
SPUD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 12:36 AM   #66
El General
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Coke County
Default

I like to hit the Hidalgos up on the north side (near the feed stores) for my favorite west Texas delicacy, enchiladas with a fried egg in top.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 09:29 AM   #67
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Mmmmm Hidalgos! The one is Christoval is pretty **** good for a hole in the wall mexican joint!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #68
The Crippler
Ten Point
 
The Crippler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Angelo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Screw climbing ladders or at least tall ladders any more
These Groundhuggers are the only feeders our landowner allows, I was a little skeptical at first, but they are awesome. Coon-proof, super easy to fill and the deer don't seem as skittish. Also, easy to MacGyver it into a directional feeder. A little pricey but worth it in my opinion. You can pick them up at West Texas Game Feeders on Chadbourne.
Attached Images
 
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 09:47 AM   #69
KactusKiller
Pope & Young
 
KactusKiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midlothian, TX
Hunt In: Coke/Water Valley, Navarro Co
Default

interesting, i've thought about cutting legs and adding cattle panel to the bottoms of my feeders to make them "stand and fill"
KactusKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 03:43 PM   #70
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #71
RRagan83
Ten Point
 
RRagan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Hunt In: Schleicher, Edwards, Kimble, and McCulloch county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Mmmmm Hidalgos! The one is Christoval is pretty **** good for a hole in the wall mexican joint!
x2
RRagan83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #72
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
I like angelo pellets on deer protein and Palmers on corn normally. Both on north side of town.
Yep
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #73
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler View Post
These Groundhuggers are the only feeders our landowner allows, I was a little skeptical at first, but they are awesome. Coon-proof, super easy to fill and the deer don't seem as skittish. Also, easy to MacGyver it into a directional feeder. A little pricey but worth it in my opinion. You can pick them up at West Texas Game Feeders on Chadbourne.
Why is it all he allows?

TBHer supersport on our place built one just like it and had some issues. I'm not sure why or how but he had to end up raising it off the ground 3 foot because of them

Last edited by Smart; 01-25-2017 at 03:54 PM..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 05:34 PM   #74
The Crippler
Ten Point
 
The Crippler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Angelo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Why is it all he allows?

TBHer supersport on our place built one just like it and had some issues. I'm not sure why or how but he had to end up raising it off the ground 3 foot because of them
I think he's had issues in the past with hunters leaving low-quality equipment out there for him to clean up later and he believes these are the best built feeders around. After using them for a season, I tend to agree with him, plus they are super easy to fill. Also easy to get hand corn out of if you left your hand corn in the truck and easy to set off when you are getting in the blind and don't have a remote.

These have a spring loaded mechanism that prevents any loose corn from being stolen, works great. The only coons we have on camera are at water troughs where we hand corn.
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #75
The Crippler
Ten Point
 
The Crippler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: San Angelo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxNurse View Post
I just go to Palmers for corn and feed. I set up my own bows, but The Outdoorsman is the local bow shop, and nice guys--don't know how good they are. Probably someone on here can give feedback on their service. Also good to deal with on firearms. Fast food--Rosa's. That may get you a start.
I've always had good service at the Outdoorsman. If you go in for something, they have a bow range in their basement so you can make sure you're set up properly.

Rosa's is pretty good if you're in a hurry, but Franco's and Armenta's are the places to go for West Texas Mexican Food!
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #76
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

I like Franco's and we have had good food at Henry's too.... but Hildagos is 20 miles closer in Christoval for us.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #77
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler View Post
I think he's had issues in the past with hunters leaving low-quality equipment out there for him to clean up later and he believes these are the best built feeders around. After using them for a season, I tend to agree with him, plus they are super easy to fill. Also easy to get hand corn out of if you left your hand corn in the truck and easy to set off when you are getting in the blind and don't have a remote.



These have a spring loaded mechanism that prevents any loose corn from being stolen, works great. The only coons we have on camera are at water troughs where we hand corn.


If our landowner was that OCD about feeders I'd have to buy two per pen to match our current capacity living 5 hours away.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 06:13 PM   #78
txwhitetail
Ten Point
 
txwhitetail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion Co
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler View Post
These Groundhuggers are the only feeders our landowner allows, I was a little skeptical at first, but they are awesome. Coon-proof, super easy to fill and the deer don't seem as skittish. Also, easy to MacGyver it into a directional feeder. A little pricey but worth it in my opinion. You can pick them up at West Texas Game Feeders on Chadbourne.
Those are all I buy now also.
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #79
Hookem84
Pope & Young
 
Hookem84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: marble falls
Hunt In: Llano county
Default 2017 San Angelo area season thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I like Franco's and we have had good food at Henry's too.... but Hildagos is 20 miles closer in Christoval for us.


We ate Henry's this weekend and I didn't really care for the celery in the meat other than that it was ok.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hookem84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #80
GarrettRob17
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: College Station
Hunt In: San Angelo (Tom Green)
Default

If anyone has some helpful tips for hunting in San Angelo (Tom Green County) I would love to hear them! I will be new to San Angelo this spring and looking forward to it. I used to hunt in Coleman where pigs were a real problem!!! Anyone have 2 cents to throw at me?
GarrettRob17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 10:26 PM   #81
WTX
Ten Point
 
WTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRob17 View Post
If anyone has some helpful tips for hunting in San Angelo (Tom Green County) I would love to hear them! I will be new to San Angelo this spring and looking forward to it. I used to hunt in Coleman where pigs were a real problem!!! Anyone have 2 cents to throw at me?
Snake boots
WTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-25-2017, 10:36 PM   #82
GarrettRob17
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: College Station
Hunt In: San Angelo (Tom Green)
Default

I know they were always bad in Coleman , just about every other trip to the stand in the summer to kill some pigs there would would be one of those suckers laying in the road!
GarrettRob17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2017, 10:36 AM   #83
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young
 
elliscountyhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ferris,Tx
Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook
Default

Took the first trip to the new lease yesterday. Very nice, lots of oaks, good terrain changes, and see some turkey. Got a few cameras up and running and filled a couple protein feeders. Excited to go back and check the cameras!
elliscountyhog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #84
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Welcome to Gods country Richard! Now leave my deer alone!
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #85
jason86
Ten Point
 
jason86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Tom green county
Default

Y'all had any deer shedding antlers yet? We got a bunch with half a rack and none at all already.
jason86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2017, 02:52 PM   #86
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason86 View Post
Y'all had any deer shedding antlers yet? We got a bunch with half a rack and none at all already.


Won't be out until 2/23 but I'm sure we do..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #87
RRagan83
Ten Point
 
RRagan83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Hunt In: Schleicher, Edwards, Kimble, and McCulloch county
Default

I found a small shed last weekend but its still early the bucks I see on my cell cam have both sides still
RRagan83 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2017, 04:21 PM   #88
josh3
Ten Point
 
josh3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stephenville
Hunt In: Junction
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler View Post
I've always had good service at the Outdoorsman. If you go in for something, they have a bow range in their basement so you can make sure you're set up properly.

Rosa's is pretty good if you're in a hurry, but Franco's and Armenta's are the places to go for West Texas Mexican Food!
Paisano's is the best Mexican food in Angelo hands down in my opinion!
josh3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2017, 06:25 PM   #89
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young
 
elliscountyhog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ferris,Tx
Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Welcome to Gods country Richard! Now leave my deer alone!
I won't shoot any of your deer. I only shoot big ones!

Look forward to meeting up for lunch one day out there!
elliscountyhog is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-26-2017, 06:26 PM   #90
Hookem84
Pope & Young
 
Hookem84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: marble falls
Hunt In: Llano county
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh3 View Post
Paisano's is the best Mexican food in Angelo hands down in my opinion!


Will have to try this place.

Keep the suggestions coming


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hookem84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2017, 05:34 PM   #91
GarrettRob17
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: College Station
Hunt In: San Angelo (Tom Green)
Default

Anyone have any suggestions for processors around Tom Green County? Thank you for everyone's help!
GarrettRob17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2017, 08:36 PM   #92
J-Carp
Ten Point
 
J-Carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bryan, TX
Default

Angelo pellet is selling 20% deer pellet for 8.95! Thats pretty cheap as far as i can find


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
J-Carp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #93
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRob17 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for processors around Tom Green County? Thank you for everyone's help!

J's Processing just south of San Angelo on 277 south is who our guys use.

325-651-6175
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2017, 10:30 PM   #94
GarrettRob17
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: College Station
Hunt In: San Angelo (Tom Green)
Default Processor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
J's Processing just south of San Angelo on 277 south is who our guys use.

325-651-6175
Smart is that their Phone number?
GarrettRob17 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-28-2017, 10:42 PM   #95
bphillips
Pope & Young
 
bphillips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Angelo, Tx
Hunt In: Schleicher, Tom Green Co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRob17 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for processors around Tom Green County? Thank you for everyone's help!
Go to Sklenariks it's worth the extra drive even if you're close to Js
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2017, 05:07 AM   #96
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarrettRob17 View Post
Smart is that their Phone number?


Yes it is..
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2017, 07:21 AM   #97
Marlin45
Nubbin' Buck
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Default

Has anybody tried to get cotton seed in wall?
Marlin45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #98
8pointer
Pope & Young
 
8pointer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Hunt In: Schleicher county
Default

Saw 2 bucks today that had just dropped their antlers. We are in Schleicher county.
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2017, 09:28 PM   #99
KingsX
Pope & Young
 
KingsX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Angelo
Hunt In: Irion ,Tom green co.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pointer View Post
Saw 2 bucks today that had just dropped their antlers. We are in Schleicher county.


I've had two older bucks drop first part of January and one around the 17th


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KingsX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #100
Smart
Pope & Young
 
Smart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Denton, TX
Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsX View Post
I've had two older bucks drop first part of January and one around the 17th


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome back to Texas hero! Sorry again to hear about your dad bud. May he RIP...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com