Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-12-2017, 10:19 PM   #51
pilar
Eight Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale and la pryer , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Hudsons in Austin

Kleins in Boerne. They own both. Both are amazing.
We use cow creek in boerne they're a local favorite
Klein's has hit and miss customer service and I personally think the owner is a jerk
pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #52
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin81 View Post
I've never taken a deer to a processor, might try Hudson's since it is the closest to me. How exactly does it work?

Morning kill take gutted deer to them right after field dress? Night kill take quarters to them in a cooler the next day?
Depends how much you want to spend places charge extra for skinning, they also charge more for deboning

We do majority at home but I can't make link sausage nowhere near as good as the processors so we take them our scrap meat to grind into sausage. We save it from a few deer and vacuum seal/freeze. Once I get enough I take it in and have some good sausage made. Its cheaper than bringing in quartered deer per lb of meat and I know it tastes good when I pick it up.

I'll try my own sausage again this year but it's always a dissapointment
SCREAMINREELS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #53
SCREAMINREELS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brenham, SHNF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
Texan Taxidermy and Processing in Tomball
17413 FM 2920
Tomball, Tx
Great Processing and taxidermy work
Any recommendations on their sausage options? We like spice. I'll give them a try this year I have opening weekends meat in the freezer right now
SCREAMINREELS is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #54
TX35GTR
Nubbin' Buck

Flemings in Montgomery TX is the only place i go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
TX35GTR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 PM   #55
huntingfanatic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLDAD1 View Post
Any good ones around Weatherford area?

Neils taxidermy and processing in Whitt. Incredible taxidermist and does a great job processing. Jalapeno/cheese sticks are the best around and you will get your own deer back. Great guy
huntingfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #56
josh3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui-diver View Post
I've used him for about 4 years and he's great!! Their jap and cheddar sausage is the bomb!! As far as price goes I can't compare as he's the only guy I use. Plus he spent good money on the best dealer which keeps meat fresh for as long as you need.

I do want to try Hudson's for their bacon wrapped chop steak and fajita meat. So can I just bring in a couple quarters and just ask for those two products? Heard your going to pay there too but how much? Thanks for all the reccomendations y'all put up.
I really don't think Hudson's is very expensive at all compared to some others I use.
Attached Images

Last edited by josh3; 10-13-2017 at 10:02 AM..
josh3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #57
MarkV
Pope & Young

Broken Tine processing in Snook

Have used Nolan for 3 years now and will continue to. Great prices and the meat is good too. Know I'm getting what I took in
MarkV is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 02:46 PM   #58
apkleinschmidt
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Broken Tine processing in Snook

Have used Nolan for 3 years now and will continue to. Great prices and the meat is good too. Know I'm getting what I took in
Do you happen to know his summer sausage and dried sausage pricing?

Any discount for deboned?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
apkleinschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 04:18 PM   #59
Widowmaker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County Texas,Kansas,Iowa,Illinois,Colorado,New Mexico,and Arizona

Around N. Tx ,especislly Montague/Clay county, Fischers Meat Market in Meunster is primo on any wild game! Them Germans know how to do it.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #60
Pacman70
Six Point

Hunt In: Rising Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humper View Post
I've been using CCR for over 20 years and no complaints. Started back when they were Syracuse and had their first shop in flower Mound. The jalapeŮo cheese sausage is the bomb?
Same for us, and you are spot on about the jalapeno and cheese sausage.
Pacman70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 09:16 PM   #61
MarkV
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by apkleinschmidt View Post
Do you happen to know his summer sausage and dried sausage pricing?

Any discount for deboned?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
I can't answer that. But give him a call.

979 2 five five O 8 seven nine
MarkV is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #62
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

Very happy with Wallace processing in Winnsboro. Copperhead recommend them...got a ton of meat back.
Shinesintx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 09:44 PM   #63
Donald
Spike

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
I am taking my deer to Kovosovics in rosenberg again for summer sausage. I am also going to take some to Bellville meat market for some of the dirty rice sausage
I'm looking for a place close to Needville, is the Rosenberg place any good
Donald is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #64
brokeno
Six Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Buesing processing. In Westhoff tx. Great sausage and summer sausage
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #65
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: McMullen / Refugio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
Penshorns in Marion makes the best venison sausage Ive evrr tasted

They do but I tried to take a couple deer in last year and they wouldnít take them. The guy said they were at capacity. Pretty disappointing to drive all that way

Went to granzins instead and had
Sausage made. I think penshorns is a little better but Iím too much of a grudge holder to go back. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-30-2017, 10:30 PM   #66
brokeno
Six Point

Hunt In: Gonzales & Young Co and anywhere

Buesing processing in westhoff, Texas
brokeno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 09:57 AM   #67
TTU TX Hunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Archer County and Denton County

CCR is by far my favorite place to have a deer done. Jap and cheese summer sausage and links are amazing. The chipotle Monterey Jack cheese links are my favorite. Taco meat is outstanding. Burger with bacon grind is great for chili and so is there burger with brisket. The Texas twisters are one of my favorites on toast with a runny egg on top. You will pay more at CCR but there quality is above anyone else I have ever used! With that being said I do want to take a deer to Fischer’s as well this year and try them out also. Hunters Choice in Sanger used to be owned by my buddies Dad and they are pretty solid and consistent. Pickled sausage and jap and cheese summer sausage are great here and I highly recommend their meatballs as they are the best I’ve ever had. Not sure if it’s still the same since Brett passed away but for convenience I will bring deer here for these particular items. Also their strip jerky is top notch!
TTU TX Hunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #68
Bassbuster
Four Point

Hunt In: Burnet, New Mexico,west texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy bowhunter View Post
I have been using Griffiths in Burnet for a lot of years,i little higher than some,but best I have used
X2. Take all my animals there to be preocessed does a great job. Best I've used hands down.
Bassbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 11:59 AM   #69
Mossback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comal county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald View Post
I'm looking for a place close to Needville, is the Rosenberg place any good
If you want link sausage or seasoned deer burger, take it to Cernochs in Rosenberg. Get the triple cheese link sausage (60/40) add jalapenos if you want. I only take my sausage there, its one of the best in the state ( I know people say that a lot but I've converted a lot of people). Only downside is they don't vacuum pack buts its so good I don't care. Small operation which I like. I like JR's in wharton for my survival sticks. I got an axis back from praseck's, just steaks and burgers though. Both are good but anyone can do that. Dropped a couple whitetail off the other day for sticks and pan sausage so we'll see in a couple weeks how that turns out from them.

Last edited by Mossback; 10-31-2017 at 12:02 PM..
Mossback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #70
Sparzo
Ten Point

Anybody used Arnoldís in Hempstead?

Sparzo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 06:03 PM   #71
Mike Murphey
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fort McKavett, Texas

Belville Meat Market
Mike Murphey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #72
jwood02
Four Point

Hunt In: Honey Grove

Blue Bonnet in Trenton does great work and is reasonably priced. Jap and cheese sausage is fantastic! We also used a place in Rockwall that was just ok. They did not label any of the packages and the summer sausage was not any where near as good as Blue Bonnet's.
jwood02 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 06:56 PM   #73
Double-O-Dave
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
We use cow creek in boerne they're a local favorite
Klein's has hit and miss customer service and I personally think the owner is a jerk
Hudson's uses Klein's to process some of their products. We tried Hudson's one year. I think their products are good, but then I found out they commingle meat - so it's doubtful you get your deer back. Also, their receiving area for wild game (in the back) doesn't smell too good. Compare and contrast that with Smokey Denmark's - very efficient, ultra clean receiving area, and they don't commingle meats - the game you drop off is the game used in the finished product you pick up. Actually, I think Hudson's products actually taste better, but all is irrelevant now as Smokey Denmark no longer processes wild game due to high staff turnover. Dang shame, now we are searching for a good processor in the Austin area.

Regards,

Dave
Double-O-Dave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 07:05 PM   #74
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boh347 View Post
I like B&k in bronte. His fajita pre marinade is great.
I JUST put up a post on the Robert Lee FB page recently asking who the locals would recommend? Several on our lease got burned last year from the local RL processor! We lost deposits, NO meat and 2 never got their meat or Racks back OR their $$ desposits!

Won't go into detail, but it was something else! I even went to the Sheriff's Office to learn if they had any idea what was going on?? Not satisfied with the response I got....guess my "still" ex-LEO idea of what's right and legal was not satisfied with the answer I got.

From the responses on FB from the locals, B&K is who we will use this year.
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 07:47 PM   #75
fullsizeaggie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Missouri, East TX

Bernhards in Kerrville. Used them for 10+ years. Made a good smoke link. Pricing was higher than most. It was convenient at the time. Started to lose some backstrap and tenders over time. Wait times got to be weeks.

Learned to take backstrap and tenders at arrival!

Wilson Processing in La Vernia - south of town. Good pricing. I tried all their stuff, wasn't a fan of any of it. Had a good deal going, they would just do all the cutting and grinding for me and place in a large sack. I would mix and measure/package on my own. Never paid over $50 for that service. Always had my stuff done this way in a few days if not next day.

Bar S in Floresville on 97. Made a decent smoke link. Wasn't a fan of much else. Always had fair pricing and quick turnaround. Mostly just had them do burger. For the parts you can't eat, I had them do a shoulder mount many years ago. Still holding up and looking great. 15+ years.
fullsizeaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 10:48 PM   #76
jkk831
Ten Point

Hunt In: Garza County

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfanatic View Post
Neils taxidermy and processing in Whitt. Incredible taxidermist and does a great job processing. Jalapeno/cheese sticks are the best around and you will get your own deer back. Great guy
Anyone been to Teelís in weatherford?
jkk831 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #77
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco / Ira

Any reviews on Rays in Breckinridge? What other options in the Breckinridge / Graham area?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 12:18 AM   #78
44mAG
Eight Point

Hunt In: Bastrop/Atascosa/Kimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-O-Dave View Post
Hudson's uses Klein's to process some of their products. We tried Hudson's one year. I think their products are good, but then I found out they commingle meat - so it's doubtful you get your deer back. Also, their receiving area for wild game (in the back) doesn't smell too good. Compare and contrast that with Smokey Denmark's - very efficient, ultra clean receiving area, and they don't commingle meats - the game you drop off is the game used in the finished product you pick up. Actually, I think Hudson's products actually taste better, but all is irrelevant now as Smokey Denmark no longer processes wild game due to high staff turnover. Dang shame, now we are searching for a good processor in the Austin area.

Regards,

Dave
I used Hudson's for the first time last year. I got a bunch of different things made from the deer to try them out. As far as the quality of the product goes, everything is/was very good. No Complaints. However, I do have a weird feeling after the experience after finding out that the meat I got back wasn't my deer only. When dropping my meat off, the guy in front of me opened his cooler where I see mangled meat from the gun shots and stomach matter everywhere on the meat. Hudson's threw it all in the basket, sprayed it off with a water hose, weighed it, and threw it in the meat pile. I take a lot of pride in keeping my meat clean just to have it thrown in with everyone else. I may use them again for one deer to get their chop steaks or something, but I too would like to find a good processor close to Austin who uses YOUR deer meat and no one elses.

Does anyone know how Hudson's goes about things if I where to bring them something other than whitetail? What if I brought them antelope or axis meat? Would they throw it in the same piles as the whitetail? Or would they process your meat separately in that situation? Hmmm.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 07:37 AM   #79
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkk831 View Post
Anyone been to Teelís in weatherford?
Only once, never again. Terrible service and totally inedible Summer sausage.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 08:02 AM   #80
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion, Webb, counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy bowhunter View Post
I have been using Griffiths in Burnet for a lot of years,i little higher than some,but best I have used
X2, Best smoked link I've had. Breakfast sausage is good as well.
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #81
basschump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44mAG View Post
I used Hudson's for the first time last year. I got a bunch of different things made from the deer to try them out. As far as the quality of the product goes, everything is/was very good. No Complaints. However, I do have a weird feeling after the experience after finding out that the meat I got back wasn't my deer only. When dropping my meat off, the guy in front of me opened his cooler where I see mangled meat from the gun shots and stomach matter everywhere on the meat. Hudson's threw it all in the basket, sprayed it off with a water hose, weighed it, and threw it in the meat pile. I take a lot of pride in keeping my meat clean just to have it thrown in with everyone else. I may use them again for one deer to get their chop steaks or something, but I too would like to find a good processor close to Austin who uses YOUR deer meat and no one elses.

Does anyone know how Hudson's goes about things if I where to bring them something other than whitetail? What if I brought them antelope or axis meat? Would they throw it in the same piles as the whitetail? Or would they process your meat separately in that situation? Hmmm.

I had portions of an elk processed there two years ago. Elk, exotics (over a minimum weight) get processed completely separate. They did a fantastic job.

basschump is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 08:15 AM   #82
chtx
Six Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto county and hill country

Klein's in boerne is really all we use now and we are in Houston. worth the drive every time
chtx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 10:58 AM   #83
Gherkin05
Eight Point

Hunt In: NM,CO,TX

Stonewall Smokehouse has been the best Iíve ever used. You get your meat, price is great, and you receive excellent service. Ask Rodney to show you the cutting room, the place is spotless. I wonít use anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Gherkin05 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #84
tsnksmith
Eight Point

Hunt In: Menard / Concho County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rut-ro View Post
I am taking my deer to Kovosovics in rosenberg again for summer sausage. I am also going to take some to Bellville meat market for some of the dirty rice sausage
How do you compare the 2? I have only used Bellville but hear things about Rosenberg.
tsnksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-01-2017, 02:45 PM   #85
Meatcutter
Eight Point

Hunt In: Yorktown/Groesbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Hudsons in Austin

Kleins in Boerne. They own both. Both are amazing.
they separate owns now
Meatcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top