Kids shooting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kids shooting...

Corey's post made me starting thinking about my kids, etc, and figured you guys would have some cool pictures or vidoes to share of your kids, or in Corey's position, a neighbors kids shooting.

Here is a little video of my son, Beau Wade shooting his bow a couple of months ago. Is turned 2 in Sept. Not too bad for a youngin.

My son, Beau Wade shooting his self bow. He loves shooting his bow!!

As some of you know, I do strings and a few arrows for people at a very affordable price. IF you need something for a kid, ask me. I have a ton of stuff that I would love to pass on to someone who will use it. If we don't teach our kids, then the next generation will miss out!

Good job Corey on helping the young boy out with archery! IF you ever need any arrows or anything like that for the young man, let me know!!!

Great gesture Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, I am a big fan of getting kids into archery. I am the nosey guy at Academy that asks the parent looking at kids bows if they need help, show them the right arrows from the bin, etc.

Last weekend I was actually playing Santa's elf. A kid at our church is big into archery, been begging for a bow for 3 years; even did online research on draw length, etc. His parents asked me to help them get him a good bow for Christmas. I chatted with him to see what he really wanted and he basically wanted a recurve like mine (I showed him my bow at a church family campout.)

So I told his parents to order him a samick polaris and I would take care of the rest.

So I twisted up a custom string, made a custom velcro shelf plate, put some yarn puffs, made a tab, bought some youth carbon arrows, stripped the vanes off and fletched them to match, made a stringer, etc. Then shot in the string, tuned brace height with bareshaft, etc.

Got that thing shooting like darts at his draw length... hoping he likes it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

No doubt that boy can shoot! Can't wait to see him on the 3D course in the near future.

I will get with you on arrows. I'm sure his Dad will be ok with me getting him setup with some gear. I will probably give him that selfbow since my son shows no inerest in shooting it and I have another nearly finished if he decides to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
          Well, I am a big fan of getting kids into archery. I am the nosey guy at Academy that asks the parent looking at kids bows if they need help, show them the right arrows from the bin, etc.

Last weekend I was actually playing Santa's elf. A kid at our church is big into archery, been begging for a bow for 3 years; even did online research on draw length, etc. His parents asked me to help them get him a good bow for Christmas. I chatted with him to see what he really wanted and he basically wanted a recurve like mine (I showed him my bow at a church family campout.)

So I told his parents to order him a samick polaris and I would take care of the rest.

So I twisted up a custom string, made a custom velcro shelf plate, put some yarn puffs, made a tab, bought some youth carbon arrows, stripped the vanes off and fletched them to match, made a stringer, etc. Then shot in the string, tuned brace height with bareshaft, etc.

Got that thing shooting like darts at his draw length... hoping he likes it.

Yup I knew I wasn't alone lol
          Great job man! Every time I see a kid interested I try to help them get started. Keep up the good work.....

Comment

That's some good stuff. Y'all just let me know if you need anything. I have several shafts I have yet to fletch, that reminds me, I need to get on that.. lol.

Comment

That's really good stuff, you guys!!!!!

Keep it up!

Bisch

Comment

Good stuff.... Our youngest son Tod loves to shoot, I haul him and a few of his friends to 3D shoots every year. Most every kid on our street has shot in our backyard at some point and a few still do. Tod got an early Christmas present this year, Hoyt Excel with some limbs. I am going to need to step my game up to keep up with him.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                  Good stuff.... Our youngest son Tod loves to shoot, I haul him and a few of his friends to 3D shoots every year. Most every kid on our street has shot in our backyard at some point and a few still do. Tod got an early Christmas present this year, Hoyt Excel with some limbs. I am going to need to step my game up to keep up with him.
                  There are plenty of grown kiddos who have shot in your backyard too

Comment

Most of y'all probably saw the post about my granddaughter. I don't know if I mentioned it or not, but my son's wife had a little boy when they got together that's 7. His name is Sam. His real Dad has zero to do with him. As soon as they started dating and I got to spend some time around him at the house, he was consumed with listening to hunting and fishing stories and anything relating to typical guy stuff that my boy has honestly probably always taken for granted. Since then he's been fishing and camping with us, I bought him a little Bear kid's bow and a BB Gun right off the bat, and my son took him on his first deer hunt yesterday. They sat in a box blind with a heater because of the weather, but he loved it and is ready to go back. This kid is super smart, polite, well mannered, and I'm happy to have him as part of my family. I don't like the term "step" when referring to any child, so I guess technically I've been a grandpa for a while now even before the new baby got here. It'll be a while before he can bow hunt, but I'm gonna put him behind a rifle this summer and get him shooting, and Lord willing he'll get his first deer next fall. I'll post a few pics!!

Comment

Comment

Comment

And he's a lefty, so I've got a couple lefty bows he can grow into someday.

Comment

My house is like Grand Central Station for kids! Just after Gage was born, and Roz became a SAHM, the kids just always seemed to flock to our house.

The first bunch, some 13 years ago, were kids from behind us and two houses down; it seemed like they were always at the house doing something. Of course, if they were there for very long we got around to shooting bows.

Now the kids have kids and they are starting to come over and shoot! I guess that means I'm on my second generation of young archers!

I also coach 4H archery so I always have kids bows around, and I have a full pro shop in my shop so I can do all the stuff needed for little to nothing.

People move in and out of the subdivision, but the kids always seem to find our house; between the chickens, goats, rabbits, lumber, sand piles and archery we always have something to keep them busy.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	24477201
                              We are about to start a new program with recurves. Looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X