arrow flight question......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arrow flight question......

i have a switchback xt at 68lbs and 28". i just got some beman bone collectors from academy. my regular arrow has been redhead carbon maxx at 27.5 w\100gr head with a total weight of 375. the bemans are 30" with same head (extra 4gr insert) and weight of 441. i get 278\64 maxx and 258\65 beman. should the beman's be shooting about 2 inches lower?

Yes. Your new arrows are nearly 4 inches longer, and a lot heavier, so they will be slower and hit lower.

Do the field tips and BHs hit anywhere near the same place now?

Comment

i have only shot field tips so far. mainly got the beman for hogs, being so cheap. guess i'll shoot BH and see. i figure they will be close to the same. looks like i'll have to make an adjustment when shooting hogs, or just scrap the maxx's and sight in for the bemans.

Comment

Go buy new inserts and cut the bemans down. You got room to cut em down to 27 1/2

Comment

Your biggest problem is not going to be the weight difference between the arrows, it is going to be the spine between the 2. The weight difference is just that weight, the difference in the way they shoot and group, filed points and BH's, will be determined by the spine. The spine has to be correct to get the bow tuned and to get the BH's and field points shooting the same. You need to find the arrow chart on the Bemans and put in all the values of your bow and see what spine/arrow the charts recommend. The spine is the most important part of getting the right arrwo for your set up that will shoot BH's very close to your field points with a tuned bow.

Comment

Originally posted by back-woods-boy View Post
            Go buy new inserts and cut the bemans down. You got room to cut em down to 27 1/2
            if i cut them down to 27.5, the numbers should be 265/65. just about an in between 278/64 and 258/65. i figure the arrow drop will be cut in about half, so down to an inch low.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Your biggest problem is not going to be the weight difference between the arrows, it is going to be the spine between the 2. The weight difference is just that weight, the difference in the way they shoot and group, filed points and BH's, will be determined by the spine. The spine has to be correct to get the bow tuned and to get the BH's and field points shooting the same. You need to find the arrow chart on the Bemans and put in all the values of your bow and see what spine/arrow the charts recommend. The spine is the most important part of getting the right arrwo for your set up that will shoot BH's very close to your field points with a tuned bow.
              from the chart, it looks like its bordering on the 300/340. if i'm pulling a pound less than i think, not "exactly" sure what it was, then its the 340, which was what i have. would it be a big difference if its a pound borderline on the weak side? chart says 67-72 @ 30" is 300. i'm not cranked all the way down on my switchback, but pretty close. i really can't remember the exact number, but in the 66-68 range. if i cut them down 2.5, then i'll be in the range for sure. it is really splitting hairs when it comes down to, 278/64 (maxx 27.5), 258/65 (beman @ 30) and 265/65 (beman @ 27.5)? thanks

Comment

All depends on how it tunes. I have always sided on the stiffer side with spine. I would definitley get new inserts and cut them down to get you in the spine range. I think you will have better luck getting the bow tunes and the BH's flying right. One thing I will suggest, look at the Gold Tip XT Hunters in black when you look again. You can usually find them for around $65 to $70 for a dozen shafts, about as cheap as you can get almost any shaft and they are tough. When you find the right arrow and spine that shoots well out of your bow and your field points and BH's fly the same, then i would stick with that particular shaft for whatever you hunt. It will be a lot easier in the long run. For most even on a hunting arrow, a .003 straightness shaft you will not see any accuracy difference. Even the .006 tolerances it will be hard to see any accuracy difference.

Comment

Mudslinger I got a question for ya, I'm shooting GT 55/75 at 27.5/70 out of myZ7x. I was thinking about going to the 7595 would I cut them the same length or would they be to stiff? My Hoyt alphaburner I shot axis 400 and had to swap to 340 but a lil longer cause they where too stiff.

Comment

Cut them off. Lose the extra length and weight.

Comment

I shoot the 75/95 cut to 28" out of my 70# HCA Speed Pro with no problems. Leaving them a little longer like 28" wouold not be a problem either.

Comment

I am going through the same. The GS is helping a bunch!

Comment

I shoot the 75/95 cut to 28" out of my 70# HCA Speed Pro with no problems. Leaving them a little longer like 28" wouold not be a problem either.
                          Thank for the info, I kinda figured I could do the same thing as I did with my other bow but didn't want to have to buy 6 arrows and just cut them up to find a length that would tune right.

Comment

All depends on how it tunes. I have always sided on the stiffer side with spine. I would definitley get new inserts and cut them down to get you in the spine range. I think you will have better luck getting the bow tunes and the BH's flying right. One thing I will suggest, look at the Gold Tip XT Hunters in black when you look again. You can usually find them for around $65 to $70 for a dozen shafts, about as cheap as you can get almost any shaft and they are tough. When you find the right arrow and spine that shoots well out of your bow and your field points and BH's fly the same, then i would stick with that particular shaft for whatever you hunt. It will be a lot easier in the long run. For most even on a hunting arrow, a .003 straightness shaft you will not see any accuracy difference. Even the .006 tolerances it will be hard to see any accuracy difference.
                            i guess the question is, the weight difference from 375 gr to 441 gr going to make the arrow drop about 2 inches? i'm not getting crazy arrow fight, i'm on center, just low.

Comment

If there is a difference in the O/S diameter of the 2 arrows, then there may be a difference at 20 yards. A thinner shaft will sit lower on the rest and thus probably hit lower. The weight difference could also cause a lower hit, but a lot more noticeable at longer distances. If you are not getting the left to right stray arrows, then you are probably good to go just by readjusting your sights.

Comment

Working...
                              X