Z7 Limbs: How low can they go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z7 Limbs: How low can they go?

I have a z7 with 60-70 lb. limbs. Currently set on 60, but due to shoulder problems I'm wanting to lower the wieght. I don't want to have a catastrophic failure and ruin my bow. Does anyone have experience with Mathews limbs and lowering the poundage below the manufactured recommendation?

Someone who knows more than I do will chime in but on my old (really old) Mathews the bolt holes go all the way through the riser. I assume the new ones are the same way - you can take something thin and stick it in the bolt hole from the back and mark it - then flip it around and you can tell how much bolt is screwed in. The guy at the shop I use said as long as you are catching four threads it will be OK. I did this and got a 60-70 down to about 57#'s. It looks weird because there is a gap in the pocket but my son is shooting it with no problems.

Comment

can't go much lower than that recommended poundage without risking failure, once you do that, all bets are off on the warranty for that bow...new limbs in the 50-60 lb range can be purchased and installed by a Mathews Dealer though and I've heard they run about 120$...that's better than tearin' stuff up and risking more costs.....

Comment

Jerp - I was told 57 lbs from a mathew's dealer too. So that may be a good number.

Mojo - I'm planning to get a new bow in the near future, so I'm not looking to put new limbs on at this time. I was quoted $250 for new limbs from the dealer. I may post in the classifieds and see if anyone wants to do a limb swap.

Comment

you can find limbs fairly easily and for cheaper than 250. 4 full rotations is about the furthest safe distance to take one down. That will probably hover in the 57-58 range. generally one rotation equals 3 pounds of draw weight.

Comment

Don't go down too far as it it will "Fall apart" the limbs are made to have XX amount of tension on the limbs to keep them in the pockets.

I have one Hoyt that is #15 below the lowest listed weight. But it's a Hoyt so I know it'll be ok. I teach class with that bow. You will get lot more noise too.

You could get a set of smaller cables and longer limb bolts, but I'm just get a bow with less poundage.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
              you can find limbs fairly easily and for cheaper than 250. 4 full rotations is about the furthest safe distance to take one down. That will probably hover in the 57-58 range. generally one rotation equals 3 pounds of draw weight.
              Not meaning to argue but all the bow techs have always told me that one full turn is 2lbs

Comment

Originally posted by clintb View Post
                Not meaning to argue but all the bow techs have always told me that one full turn is 2lbs

Put it on a scale and see if it is 2 or 3. It has always been right around 3 for me since the 80s.

Comment

I wouldnt get more than a pound or two below the minimum for the bow.

Comment

I posted a thread on the classified section. I think I'll just see if someone want to trade bows or limbs. If not I think I'll sell it and buy a new bow. I don't really want to mess with going below the manufactured recommended specs. It would always be in the back of my mind and bother me.

I appreciate the responses.

Comment

Go to your dealer,I got 60lb limbs for $200 installed on my Z7mag.

Comment

I have the same problem as you . I have a new 70# Heil-M
                        I am shooting it on 58#. The shop I shoot at there shop bow is a 70 and they turn it up and from 55 -70 and have no problem. Just depends

Comment

I would never even think about going more than two pounds below the manufactors rating. Pounds per turn is not the same for all bows, it used to be right around 3 ppt but some bows now are 1 ppt

Comment

Originally posted by clintb View Post
                            It depends on the limb bolts. Older ones were 4lbs. The newer bows mostly use a finer thread and only change 2 to 3lbs per turn.
                            I have shot a lot of Mathews bows 12 to 15lbs below max.
                            other bows may have a problem with the string and cables coming out of the track.

Comment

Working...
                            X