Lease cost per acre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease cost per acre

I know we’ve touched this topic before, but I’m interested in what some of the folks on here consider a fair price for a lease. What do you base a “good price” on? Do you base it on cost per acre; cost per mature buck; cost based on location from home; cost based on location in Texas?

I ran across an advertisement for 60 acres (Jackson County) that’s about 15 minutes from the house. I haven’t seen the property, just given a general area of where it’s located. The advertiser states that it backs up to the Navidad River, but didn’t specify what percentages were open vs timber. The cost and amount of guns kinda startled me. He stated that the cost would be $3k (total, not per gun) for 3-4 guns. I know this county, and I know the area where the lease is at; this county doesn’t grow bigger deer (I’m calling bigger 140+) and unfortunately this county doesn’t have a lot of MLD land that allows for mature deer, it’s more of a “As long as it’s 13” wide, shoot it” type county. The hogs in the area are plentiful to say the least! I guess what I’m asking is, am I crazy for thinking $50 per acre for something you know isn’t going to produce big deer, you know is in an area known for shooting everything and you feel it’s over crowded?

3-4 guns on 60 acres is dumber than the $50 per acre part. I wouldn’t feel safe with 3-4 rock chunkers on 60 if 100% wooded

I overpay for one small (115) place I hunt but it’s 100% wooded and less than 5 minuets from my front door. Covered in hogs (like everything else here) and has 5-6 bucks and 3-4 doe with fawns. Biggest buck seen on camera now is gonna be under 130” and mature. I gave $1k... and it’s not worth it other than close and I can let kids fire at will at hogs

Comment

Lol that’s nuts. I don’t look at a single aspect, but I’m also about as interested in deer as I am going to a Hillary convention. I like hogs and varmints. I could care less what kind of deer it grows as long as the habitat supports the other two.

Comment

Pass...

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          3-4 guns on 60 acres is dumber than the $50 per acre part.
          Yep

Comment

That is ridiculous. Even with good deer density I think 60-100 acres per hunter minimum. It is also different on price per acre when you are talking small tracts. I have a buddy that lease 60 acres for $2k which seems crazy but he shoots 1-2 big bucks every year(135-160) and it has hogs and year round access close to home. We pay $5k for 450 acres and would probably pay $8-10k just because we love the place and have been on it forever. (Biggest deer is not even 140).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

We pay $4k for 200 acres. We have 4 paid spots (so $1000 each) but only 3 blinds, all facing different directions. Not really another spot for another blind that wouldn't be facing another blind. Ours is 2 hours from front door to gate of the property.

Comment

For this area that's over the top. The place up 822 has about 700 acres with 5 guys and I believe they pay around $1800 per gun, and its MLD. Don't quote me on that price but it's in the ball park. I'd pass on that one Terry, or offer him half that for just you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I pay roughly $75/lb for venison ��

Comment

That’s insane! PT Barnum said it best. Even the guy on this thread that has 4 guys on 200 acres is insane. They’re all hunting the same deer

Comment

We deer hunters have never been accused of being smart.

Comment

Cost per acre is not.a.determaining factor for most. It's like a.vehicle, it's worth what someone is willing to pay. My guess is, this person will get his 3k.
                        Someone somewhere wants a place to spend time in the woods

Comment

Price per acre is higher on smaller tracts, but that price is stupid. Honestly, at that price, he's just trolling for a sucker. And the number of hunters is crazy. I think you need 100 acres per hunter minimum. I wouldn't bow hunt that kind of density much less gun hunt. Run away.

LWD

Comment

Every lease is different. It’s all about whether it’s worth it to you.
                            I know some guys that paid about $200/acre for a place near San Antonio. Tiny place but all 3 shot 140”+ deer and it was within 20 mins of all their homes.

I pay about $5.70 per acre, including corn, electricity, propane, and satellite tv.

But, it’s 4 hours from home, and we usually shoot 1-2 good bucks each year between 10 members. More of a meat hunting place.

Comment

Working...
                            X