No announcement yet.

Possible lease opportunity in Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It varies greatly dependent on property layout. As said earlier, some large spots can only hold a few hunters due to open land and few stand options. And some smaller spots thicker spots will hold more. Do you know layout or have topo? Good luck. Kansas is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by mossyoak20 View Post
      they some big deer in Kansas! Too bad those big antlers don't make good soup!
      soup is for grandmas, they look good on the wall.

Comment

If you can't go visit the land, try to get a good aerial map of the area.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
          well those are "maximum number of hunter" numbers as well. it will still give a little idea of price per acre.

some if those properties look pretty good
          Negative ghost rider. Most leases acquired directly from the landowner are cheaper than what you will find on base camp. Base camp is marking things up to make their share

Comment

Originally posted by samson33 View Post
            Negative ghost rider. Most leases acquired directly from the landowner are cheaper than what you will find on base camp. Base camp is marking things up to make their share
            Yep. Do the math. Most of the places they have run 15 to 20 dollars an acre. Just saw one for northeast Tx (Pineywoods) for $50 an acre!!!

Comment

9000 acres, unit 12 and 14. 5 hunters, would not want more than that. As said, all depends on the layout and your creeks/drainages + cover %. Consider how you will get in and out, and how other hunters will get in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for all the info. We will look at the property and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by wheels View Post
                  Been hunting Private 10 yrs in Ks. Would never pay more than 2k for a Bow Spot, just my opinion! Good luck!
                  How many acres per hunter do you have?

Comment

I have a pretty unique deal. I Just would be hesitant, it’s a lottery draw tag. 3-4-5k for bow hunting 9 HRs away for us would be a gamble.

Comment

I have a pretty unique deal. I Just would be hesitant, it’s a lottery draw tag. 3-4-5k for bow hunting 9 HRs away for us would be a gamble.
                      Well unless I find a “pretty unique deal”, I don’t see me paying less than 3 to 4K for a quality place. Unless you have an opening for me? Please PM me the details.

Comment

depending on cover you might only be able to hunt 2-3 hunters. i would say definitely not more than 6. it's not Texas. The population is not what it is in Texas. My experience has been that you can count on about 1-2 mature bucks per section or 640 acres in our area of KS. Those 2 bucks might be 160 or they might be 130.

i had a 1280 acre primo lease in KS about 5 years ago and me and 4 other guys were hunting the same 2 deer. Neither over 150".

Comment

yep - we had 3 out of 9 hunters not draw a tag last season. When your paying $4-6k each for leases and housing before feed it can be hard to justify the gamble for a lot of folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksbowhunter View Post
                            yep - we had 3 out of 9 hunters not draw a tag last season. When your paying $4-6k each for leases and housing before feed it can be hard to justify the gamble for a lot of folks.
                            Hmm.. that kind of changes things a bit. I drew a tag in 2014 with an outfitter, he made it sound like that getting a tag was almost a given. Not sure I want to drop 4k plus and not draw a tag.

Comment

What is the typical success rate for drawing a tag in Kansas? Does it differ much between units?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                                What is the typical success rate for drawing a tag in Kansas? Does it differ much between units?
                                Non resident draw used to be pretty much 100% state wide. But in the last few years it seems to have dropped a bit, especially depending on which unit you apply for.
                                Any state that has a lottery/draw system is a risk to a certain extent. But isn't life pretty much a risk/reward system?

Comment

Working...
                                X