No announcement yet.

2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geez.. I wasnt going to start my tomatoes till Feb. This next week Im off and will be rebuilding the greenhouse. The PVC hoops didnt hold but I didnt expect it to last forever.

Comment

I’m going to add some more mushroom compost to my beds next week. I planted tomatoes last year on Feb. 7th, jalapeños on 3/1. Shooting for the same time frame this year, it was nice to beat the bugs for a change!

Comment

Dang I'm behind! I need to get my compost spread and get mine tilled!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

I need to either build some hoops or put some Christmas lights out. Last year the birds tore up my tomatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
            The only thing in there right now is a Chili Petin that made the move from the original location.
            How do you keep the tomato horn worms off your peppers?

Over Thanksgiving I brought some chiltepin plants home from my mom's in the Valley and they were eaten to sticks in about a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post

Over Thanksgiving I brought some chiltepin plants home from my mom's in the Valley and they were eaten to sticks in about a week.

I haven’t had a problem with them. Only squash bugs. Every year. I think I’m going to call in a chemical strike this year.
              I have Chili Petins growing wild on my lease. If you want a few more plants to try, let me know the next time you’re in Austin and I’ll hook you up.

Comment

I hate squash bugs!!! I get them off as soon as I see them, but they sometimes have a virus that ends up killing the squash anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I check my plants daily. Usually just pick them off by hand. If I had a large garden, I guess sevin dust would be the answer.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                    I hate squash bugs!!! I get them off as soon as I see them, but they sometimes have a virus that ends up killing the squash anyways.

Yep, by the time you actually see squash bugs it's typically too late.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                      I haven’t had a problem with them. Only squash bugs. Every year. I think I’m going to call in a chemical strike this year.
                      I have Chili Petins growing wild on my lease. If you want a few more plants to try, let me know the next time you’re in Austin and I’ll hook you up.

I’d love some native pepper plants. I’m in Austin now.

Comment

This is the only thing I have started for this year. As you can see in the background, we hmgoy some white stuff.
                        This is my Berkeley tie dye pink which I kept as a cutting over winter. Gonna chop it up for new starts pretty soon.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I had really good luck with the Dr. Earth Organic Vegetable Spray they sell at Lowes and Home Depot last season. I was weary of anything that is "organic" but it worked great. Smells like hot chili peppers ironically.

Comment

Got my onions planted about 3 weeks ago they are doing very well

Comment

Waiting to plant my tomatoes and other vegetables the first half of February after the last freeze.

Comment

I just finished up deer season and can't wait to get garden going. The winter garden was a bit of a bust as temps in the low teens killed broccoli, cauliflower , lettuces, greens etc. Replanting most of that today .

I have 8 rows 4'X40 '. Keep an organic garden going year round. Plus every fruit tree that grows in La. Suspect low temps killed all my citrus. Will replant...again.

Comment

Working...
                                X