No announcement yet.

Bow suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This Spyder bow is made by Sage......I bought one for my wife (we are both lefties) and my son has a Sage....finish on this one is nicer, grip feels good....I ordered it with 30# limbs for her, and I actually shoot it more than her.....it is light enough that I can work on my form with it.....would highly recommend it....in some places it is called the Sage ll

Comment

Originally posted by eastex View Post
      Been looking for few weeks. Seems like a grizzly or hunter in lower poundage is a rare item in the classifieds. Most are 50-55lb
      The Grizzlys and Hunters back in the day were built for men with a different mindset than the men of today. Hunting weight bows started at about 55-60 pounds. The 45 pounders were for the women and children. Don't get me wrong, I love to shoot a 45-47 at the end of a couple hundred shot session using a 53-56# bow.

Comment

In my opinion back in the day most guys were snap shooting some wasent but most were they shot heavier bows plus there arrows were different back then as well . Nothing wrong with that just different day and time with a 45 pound bow tuned with a good carbon arrow you will get great results with white tail . My opinion!

Comment

I knew a guy that shot a 90lb long bow. Back in the 90s. I was able to shoot it. However, after one forearm slap with the string drawing blood, I didn't like it.

Comment

You are probably right Bud. I have bought and played with heavy bows just as you describe. I find that I have to come to rest for about a second and a half if my shot is to be accurate. Snap shooting isn't for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
              The Grizzlys and Hunters back in the day were built for men with a different mindset than the men of today. Hunting weight bows started at about 55-60 pounds. The 45 pounders were for the women and children. Don't get me wrong, I love to shoot a 45-47 at the end of a couple hundred shot session using a 53-56# bow.
              You are correct in the bold print. It was a different mind set even back when I started.

I'm not sure what era you are referring to as back in the day. In the 50s, 60s and early 70s most hunting bows on the market were in the 40 to 50 pound range. Some dangerous game hunters continued to use heavier pound bows. Mr. Bear hunted Grizzly bear with bows in the 65# range. Previously hunting pound weights were much higher due to bows being all wood. When Mr. Bear introduced glass backing most hunters dropped poundage and new archers started at lower poundages.

In the latter part of the 70s most people were shooting compound bows. While most people I knew started with the lower poundages (compounds only had a 30% let off or less) but as compounds became better most people increased their poundage because it was easier. By the mid to late 80s most of my customers were wanting 70 and 80 pound bows. Arrow speed was also becoming a selling factor.

I also noticed that people leaving compounds and going to Traditional equipment continued to think they needed the high poundage. Even new Trad shooters started wanting 60, 70 and higher poundage recurves and longbows because they were told that they needed the high poundage. The recurve and longbow manufacturers began making and promoting these heavier bows and that is when I noticed the demand for 55, 65 and higher poundage bows really begin.

Just my observations.

JC

Comment

I sent you a pm. Might be something you're interested in.

Comment

I encourage the Grizzly bow. And like stated above, look on Ebay. Occasionally you find a sub 50 here for sale, but not often. Also check out the Leatherwall for some grizzlies. I think they are a nice shooting bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bud Ellis View Post
                    In my opinion back in the day most guys were snap shooting some wasent but most were they shot heavier bows plus there arrows were different back then as well . Nothing wrong with that just different day and time with a 45 pound bow tuned with a good carbon arrow you will get great results with white tail . My opinion!
                    Once again I'm not sure what era you are referring to as back in the day. And you could be correct that most guys snap shot. I do know that Mr. Hill hunted with a 118 pound longbow and trick shot with an 80 pound longbow and he did not snap shoot. Mr. Pearson did not snap shoot either but Mr. Bear did.

Of the people I knew and shot field tournaments with in the 50s and 60s I was one of the only snap shooter I knew of. I believe that not all but most snap shooters become snap shooters due to being over bowed.

I also believe the bows being produced today are superior in performance to the bows of the 50s and 60s. Mostly due to materials and design improvements.

As to the "tuned with a good carbon arrow" I can't speak. I have limited knowledge about carbon arrows. However, with a 45 pound well tuned bow with good wood arrows I am comfortable hunting any game elk size and smaller.

Mr. Bear told me that he recommended 45 to 50 pound bows for anything but dangerous game. He also said if you could shoot heavier poundage accurately and comfortably then by all means do it. I always took his advice to heart because he had more experience than I'll ever have.

Also, just my opinion from what I've seen and experienced.

JC

Comment

"In the latter part of the 70s most people were shooting compound bows. While most people I knew started with the lower poundages (compounds only had a 30% let off or less) but as compounds became better most people increased their poundage because it was easier. By the mid to late 80s most of my customers were wanting 70 and 80 pound bows. Arrow speed was also becoming a selling factor."

Very true. I was in those ranks. When the compounds went to 30 to 50% letoff it was like you weren't shooting any weight anymore. LOL Then the "speed wars" began and the poundages went up, way up. I was shooting PSE 80+ pounds with the limbs cranked down tight and the hottest cams they had at the time. Have the wrecked shoulder to remember it by. Can hardly believe that at one time I was shooting 105# for 3D tournaments to try to get speed and only got around 275 fps. Compounds of today are so much more efficient. When I went to traditional after shooting 100# with compounds, I could handle 50# pretty well but I still didn't hold it for very long. The Asbell style was all the rage at the time and some still shoot that way. I laid off for about 20 years before starting back again a year ago. No more heavy stuff for this old body. I'm not sad to see it go for me. YMMV

Comment

Kossetx: Lindale

Comment

Bud, I'm talking hunting bows and early fifties. Watching the Bears coming to market over the past seven or eight years, the Kodiaks and Grizzlies from the early fifties are almost always heavyweights. The tournament bows like the Kodiak Special had a lot of mid thirty pound bows and the Kodiaks seem to ease off in the sixties. But the custom bowyers were still turning out really heavy bows and they continued to make heavy bows through the eighties, probably longer. I have been watching for older custom bows to purchase and very few of them are under fifty pounds. My guess is the majority are 58# and up. Nothing scientific about my guess, just what I have been seeing on the market. I bought a 46# Wes Wallace Mentor last week and was happy that it is 46 pounds.

Comment

Working...
                          X