No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know, I will still go and plan to be out there this weekend. It maybe harder but it is still hunting. I dont think it makes too big a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
      I dont know, I will still go and plan to be out there this weekend. It maybe harder but it is still hunting. I dont think it makes too big a difference.
      I dont think it will make a difference either.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
        I dont know, 100 hogs dont seem to be all that much compared to the number that is out there. If they dont pick the hogs up how do they confirm the kill? Can you get the pics. Would be neat to see. I think they are really doing what has to be done. I think it would be more effective if they had a comp to see which set of dogs and hunters could harvest the highest number of hogs over say a three day weekend. I think it would be fun for the hunters, cost no money and actually make some money. I know chopper fuel cant be cheap, the pilot sure aint. Just seems like a not very effective route to cut down on the hog numbers. I think the reason it is used is cause it is way more fun for the guys that have the heli and the ones that are lucky enough to do the shooting. They should at least make them follow the WMA rules. Bow only.
        X2 I'd be impressed to see them do it with longbows and recurves like I do. GRXH will be in a couple weeks hope the hogs are settled a bit. I might have to bring some black corn and sit over it in the thick stuff.

Comment

I think I may give it a shot on Sunday and see how it affected my spot. The challenge of trying to find them is probably the best part for me. Wouldn't mind taking one out in the process though!!!

Comment

Wow that's a lot of pigs down. They will still be in there they will just change third pattern a little. Just. Gonna have to walk up on them. Look forward to getting out this weekend. Good luck to everyone

Comment

Originally posted by Toddpm View Post
              Well, being a military pilot myself I can tell you that the cheapest way to obtain your license is through the military. Also, to get a job like that you have to have some serious connections which indicates a lot of experience and probably at least some time spent in the military of some sort and most likely Army, especially in this area. You can be assured that they had a video camera of some sort on board for that hunt. I can almost guarantee it as I usually carry some sort of camera whenever I fly and I like to have my crewmembers video tape the cool stuff if they aren't gonna be too busy.
              I was at the LZ when they landed at the end of the day. I talked to Eddy (the shooter) and the pilot. No video cam in the chopper or on them that I noticed (they do this all the time so I'm sure it is just another day on the job not worthy of video and they didn't seem all that exited). I think the pilot said he is ex military but I dont think that Eddie is. Next time I see Eddy around Ill ask if they have any videos from a Granger Heli shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by crod888 View Post
                That is the only reason I buy a license also. But I dont think our pocket books are deep enough to get any changes put into place. I believe that they manage it the way they do to appease the "Special Interest" people that have deep pockets, landowners that have property to hunt and dont have to rely on public land to hunt.
                Being that we own land out there I can say that landowners have no say so in the matter of the Heli shoot at Granger. Yes they do ask landowners if they can fly over private peoperty but its not like we ask them to come, or hire them (our pockets aint that deep either).

The reason that they do the heli shoot is because the Army Corps of Engineers, Texas Parks and Wildlife, and the US departent of Agriculture have realized a nation wide problem of a very distructive and invasive species. The wild hogs are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!!! They are bad for deer and all other native species as well as the farmers that produce YOUR FOOD!! Think about that for a little bit.

I understand that you are mad that hunting is messed up (for a month or two out of a year) but this is for a very important cause. Everyone is better off with hog control in the long run.
                Last edited by gbeard; 01-28-2010, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbeard View Post
                  Being that we own land out there I can say that landowners have no say so in the matter of the Heli shoot at Granger. Yes they do ask landowners if they can fly over private peoperty but its not like we ask them to come, or hire them (our pockets aint that deep either).

The reason that they do the heli shoot is because the Army Corps of Engineers, Texas Parks and Wildlife, and the US departent of Agriculture have realized a nation wide problem of a very distructive and invasive species. The wild hogs are NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!!! They are bad for deer and all other native species as well as the farmers that produce YOUR FOOD!!

I understand that you are mad that hunting is messed up (for a month or two out of a year) but this is for a very important cause. Everyone is better off with hog control in the long run.
                  Very good points......but also easier to say when your looking down the barrell of a rifle every week with an opportunity to harvest a hog. Thiers two sides of this fence. Ill pay you $20 a day to hunt the hogs on your property and help control your problem. Give that deal to not only me, but my fellow blood brothers that wanna hunt and everyone will win with controlling the hogs.

Comment

I think that a couple of hog hunts with shotgun or muzzleloader should be held out there for public hunters each year. Not sure how that would work out though.

Comment

Ill pay you $20 a day to hunt the hogs on your property and help control your problem. Give that deal to not only me, but my fellow blood brothers that wanna hunt and everyone will win with controlling the hogs.
                      first idea of yours on this argument that I actually like.....

I would even want in on that action....

Comment

Very good points......but also easier to say when your looking down the barrell of a rifle every week with an opportunity to harvest a hog. Thiers two sides of this fence. Ill pay you $20 a day to hunt the hogs on your property and help control your problem. Give that deal to not only me, but my fellow blood brothers that wanna hunt and everyone will win with controlling the hogs.
                        If I personally knew all of the folks on here I would have no problem with having hunts on our places (and I would do it for free) The liabilities are just too great these days.

Comment

If I personally knew all of the folks on here I would have no problem with having hunts on our places (and I would do it for free) The liabilities are just too great these days.
                          little piece of paper and ink can solve that....drop keys off at the house, sign paperwork and off to the races....

Comment

Well if everyone thought like you and we didnt live in a world of law suit after law suit everything would be ok. Then I wouldnt be so upset about the hunts being conducted during the prime periods of time for hog hunting out there.....and after they have my money. (and alot of other hunters money who have no access to land).

Comment

Dang blacksunshine I'd be neck deep in Lawyer fees. It costs a lot to cover ones butt. lol

Comment

nah, I just sign away any responsibility on your behalf...once I enter the gate, I am entering at my own risk and peril...easy as pie....

help me to help you....hahahaha

Comment

Working...
                                X