pawn question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pawn question

My daughter and husband are divorcing. He took a gun to the pawn shop for some cash and put it in her name. She holds the ticket. If I give her the money and she takes it back out, who is the owner of that gun? Can she sell it? I've never gotten anything from a pawn shop and don't know anything about them. Please enlighten me. The SIL is the owner of the gun.

Did he intend to transfer ownership ?

Comment

He pawned his sisters gun but put the actual ticket in his wife (Your daughters) name? Did I understand that correctly?

If so, does his sister know he pawned her gun? Sounds shady to me.

Comment

If the ticket is in her name and she pulls it out it’s her gun. She can sell it if she wants too.

Comment

Call the pawn shop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Make sure the SIL knows the gun was pawned and she doesn't report it stolen. I agree with WItoTX, it sounds shady.

Comment

whoever has the ticket will have to fill out a 4473 to pick the gun up so I think that they would be the owner?

Comment

My SIL pawned his gun for money, but put his wife, my daughter's name on the ticket. So I am assuming she can go down with the money and claim it. He is the owner of the gun, but she wants to keep it, or sell it if she needs $$ and he is unwilling to help out on expenses. It sounds like she, because her name is on the ticket, claim the gun, but can she then sell it without his permission?

Comment

just for clarification "SIL" = son in law correct ? or sister n law ?

Pretty sure the gun legally belongs to the SIL (based on NICS paperwork). Sounds fishy that he pawned it in her name Did he have any prior arrests which he may have been trying to hide from ? Did she provide the Pawn Shop with her drivers license # and personally sign for the pawn ?

If you pay the money to get the gun out of Pawn, "on paper" it is still registered to the SIL unless there is a Bill of Sale from SIL to your daughter. You may end up paying the loan amount + interest ($200, $300, ??? ) and then have to give the gun back to the SIL. If there is bitterness and animosity where things will get ugly, it may not even be worth fooling with. The SIL was initially dishonest.

Depending on value of gun … i.e. $200 Rem 870 …. forget about it. $2,000 Beretta O/U …. definitely should be considered. Either way, the SIL should reimburse you for the Pawn amount.
                  Last edited by Cajun Blake; 11-05-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

He does not have any arrests or any thing of that nature. Not sure why it's in her name, but it is. I told her I would go with her to get it if she wants and I will keep it until he wants it, and if he does he can reimburse me when he can.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
                      He does not have any arrests or any thing of that nature. Not sure why it's in her name, but it is. I told her I would go with her to get it if she wants and I will keep it until he wants it, and if he does he can reimburse me when he can.
                      When something is pawned, you have to show a DL and sign the paperwork. Was your daughter with the SIL at the PS and did she actually sign the pawn ticket, or did the SIL forge her name ?

edit: I support you in getting the gun out of pawn, and SIL can pay you back later if he wants the gun

Comment

Whoever holds the pawn tciket is the only one that can redeem the pawn. If its in her name she must have been present at the time of the pawn. At least thats how it works at my father in laws shop and hes by the book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll have to ask how it got done at the pawn shop as I am unsure. If he does not have the money now, it will cost too much later with interest I'm sure. So getting it out will do him a favor and if he wants to transfer ownership to her then we'll get that done also. I have never dealt with a pawn shop and don't know the first thing about it. And yes, SIL, son-in-law.

Comment

Originally posted by Jven View Post
                            Whoever holds the pawn tciket is the only one that can redeem the pawn. If its in her name she must have been present at the time of the pawn. At least thats how it works at my father in laws shop and hes by the book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                            mostly this.

How her name got on the ticket without being there sounds fishy

Comment

There isnt a gun registry and are not titled. So If the pawn slip is in her name yes she can go get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X