Ray Roberts WMA - 1st Time Hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ray Roberts WMA - 1st Time Hunter

Hi Guys. I'm going to be hunting Ray Roberts WMA for the first time (it's about 20 miles north of Denton, TX). I'm going after small game. Where have you guys seen small game (squirrels and rabbits) out there? Are there any specific locations that have nice big stands of oaks or pecans that would hold squirrels? Any info you have would really help me so I'd be starting my hunt with a little knowledge of the lay of the land. Thanks.

good luck. i cant help you on this one but post up when your done i expect some lpds

Comment

Let's see some squirrel LDPs!!!

Comment

There isnt really alot of squirrels from what I have seen but alot of rabbits there and birds but not too many squirrels now I aint saying they arent there but I have seen them since I start hog hunting.

Comment

you need to be hunting east texas if you are looking for squirrels. not many at all on ray roberts. unless you want to spend all day hunting only to come out with one squirrel or two. seriously doubt you can even get a limit out of ray roberts.

Comment

I don't know about ray roberts but my backyard is full (oopps was full of them) I bagged three this weekend with the crossman.

Comment

Thanks Quickstrike for the info on the rabbit and squirrel pops @ Ray Roberts.

Comment

Hey quickstrike, were abouts are you seeing those rabbits?
                I've been there a few times and have had a hard time finding them.
                I am trying to get my godson into some small game hunting,
                but I want to make I have a good place so our first time out doesn't end up being a hike through the woods.
                ??
                RV

Comment

Originally posted by FreddySugar View Post
                  but I want to make I have a good place so our first time out doesn't end up being a hike through the woods.
                  What's wrong with a hike through the woods with your godson??

Comment

I have seen the rabbits on Hogtown Rd. there is a mess of them in there only thing is they are camoflouge I took 1 with my bow 3 weeks ago and my buddy got 1 but it managed to get down his hole and tare most his guts out. But you go right on hogtown road and then take a right at the dead end and the that road dead ends and you park and when you start walking down the trail take a immediate left and it is pretty open field and there is a bunch in there. GL And you wont have to hike at all you will probably see them right as your get out of the vehicle I shot mine about 15- 20 yds after you take a left onto the trail. Ok and as far hogs on ray roberts all I will say is start scouting the north end of the lake I think the road I get onto is 922 and takea r ight and go over rail road tracks and go to the bridge and take a left there is a bunch of hogs in there bud good luck not spooking them I have indian walked in there and still spook them. As for right now I am bowhunting North End Lake Lewisvile Greenbelt, and Childress Tx, and a new lease in Alvord, Tx for hog only. a nucense promblem. Well if anyone needs help I have been hunting all over north texas and I pretty much know there area I have been doing alot of scouting and tracking. So shoot me an email at gauge46@msn.com if you need more information.

Comment

quick i cant believe you finally scored at ray bob. how bout some pics.

Comment

Thank you Quickstrike. I will most definitely check out the spots you suggested. I'm excited to try out Ray Roberts, because I've hunted Granger and killed rabbits, squirrels, and nutria there, and seen 2 hogs and heard others so I know theres game to be had on public land if one is willing to work a bit.

Comment

Quick, have you had any luck at Lewisville? I live SE of the lake and have been thinking about trying the COE land or calling Denton about the property north of 380. I think I am about to give up on Grapevine, to many people out there.

Comment

Working...
                          X