No announcement yet.

LBJ Grassland 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice shot. This may be a dumb question, but what are the bands on the legs?

Comment

Originally posted by quickstrike View Post
      Harvested my first turkey this evening. 3 year old bearded hen.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by seminole1990 View Post
        I just spoke with TPWD and the official stated you CAN shoot antlerless in accordance with the OUTDOOR ANNUAL booklet for Wise and Montague counties. Page 94 and 87. (He also recognized that there was a lot confusion as stated in earlier posts.)

Good luck everyone. Looks like I will be attempting a hunt out there this month.

Question: Do any of you use a bike once you've parked? Is this a good method of transport? I use mine at Hagerman and it works perfectly. Thanks!
        Definitely for scouting, but not for hunting. Too much gear to tote.

Comment

Originally posted by JB3 View Post
          The bands are from a research project TPWD did in the area. This turkey was trapped and banded in 2015. She also was fitted with a radio transmitter with a gps onboard, but it fell off previously.

Comment

Originally posted by wildaggie View Post
            The bands are from a research project TPWD did in the area. This turkey was trapped and banded in 2015. She also was fitted with a radio transmitter with a gps onboard, but it fell off previously.
            Yes that is correct after I shot the turkey I contacted the numbers and got a hold of Jennifer which is at biologist and I also contacted the game warden the bird is about 3 and 1/2 to 4 years old it was a bearded hen.

Comment

Went and sat out yesterday till dark. Had 2 groups of pigs and 8 deer, all doe and a spike, come by at 20 yards. I wanted to shoot until I realized I forgot my game cart. Ain't no way I was dragging anything that far in that heat.

I'm in no rush. I'm in a great spot that I haven't seen any other signs of humans out there.

Comment

Congrates in the banded turkey. I got a friend that lets her come and band them on his private place by the lbj.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by JollyRover View Post
                    Hey all, newbie here. I've been lurking on the thread and figured it was time to join.

Hunted opening morning and had deer move by me about 30min before legal hours. I was just happy to be in the right place if just maybe at the wrong time. Later in the morning, I heard some gunshots near the entrance. Found a man who had just bought a gun doing some target shooting. Is this kind of thing something y'all see very often?
                    No. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't a shotgun or muzzle loader, it was illegal to be shooting on the lbj.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                      No. As a matter of fact, if it wasn't a shotgun or muzzle loader, it was illegal to be shooting on the lbj.

And still you find shell casings in a lot of the units

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
                        Pretty sure I heard a handgun. I only saw him with a shotgun though. He was so nonchalant that I began to suspect it was accepted practice. I dug up the fines online and saving them in case I run into that again.

Comment

Wearing orange

When on a LBJ website, one topic was that wearing orange is required when bow hunting.
                          I have not been wearing orange when bow hunting. Could of sworn it was not mandatory. Must pay better attention.
                          Any one aware of this?

Comment

I believe only if there is a gun hunt you must wear orange but i may be mistaken.

Comment

That is what I thought also.
                              When looking at hunting regulations at LBJ, there was a FAQ link.
                              That is where I saw the rule, just cannot remember exactly where on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by quickstrike View Post
                                I believe only if there is a gun hunt you must wear orange but i may be mistaken.

Correct its only required during gun season.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X