Growing Oaks from Acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing Oaks from Acorns

Anyone else do it? I will admit that I am a tree nerd. I have had success growing seedlings in the past but am going to step it up this year. I usually try to raise 15-20 seedlings every year and plant them out on my property. This year I am going to be planting 588 cells. I am in the process of turning my closet underneath the staircase into a grow room. I already have 50 White Oaks and 25 Chinquapin Oaks sending down roots. I will be planting White Oak (2 varieties), Chinquapin Oak, Water Oak, Overcup Oak, Shumard Red Oak, Alghenny Chinquapin, Chinese Chestnut, American/Chinese Chestnut Hybrid, Flatwoods Plum, and Japanese Maples. Anyone else on here a tree nerd?

Just getting started.

Tagged! I am a beginner tree nerd. I got some Monterrey oaks in pots waiting to sprout. Already have some Mexican sycamores that are growing. 2 year's ago we had 6 mountain laurels come up from seed and are going strong and may need new pots or put in the ground. Rosebuds are next to go in starter pots.

Comment

My mom has started lots of live oaks in her flowerbed and then transplanted em....

Comment

You should also look to join the Arbor foundation, as a member you can buy bulk seedlings cheap

Comment

If you need nursery containers let me know. I have a few thousand

Be careful with starting an I door grow. My house got raided for suspected marijuana grow. They found a few hundred live oaks in the back yard and their big score was the frozen broccoli I put up from the garden. Still have the dents in my front door. Thank go my door was unlocked and came open with the ram instead of coming off the hinges.

Comment

The grand daughter had a container full of acorns that she wanted me to plant. I have an old garden that we haven't used since the drought started so I took the sharpshooter shovel and would stick it in the ground about three inches. She would plant an acorn and stomp the hole closed. After about thirty or so I convinced her to plant about five per hole. It was fun for a four year old but grandpa was getting lazy.

I took the shop vac and vacuumed up about thirty gallons of acorns from one tree. That was Saturday and it looks like there are as many on the ground now as there was Saturday. I'm thinking about putting the middle buster plow on the tractor and cutting a trench and planting them in various spots on the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post

Be careful with starting an I door grow. My house got raided for suspected marijuana grow. They found a few hundred live oaks in the back yard and their big score was the frozen broccoli I put up from the garden. Still have the dents in my front door. Thank go my door was unlocked and came open with the ram instead of coming off the hinges.
              Crazy!

Tagged for later to see results!

Comment

How did they know you were doing an inside grow operation? Electric bill high or something?

Comment

They would have installed a brand new door...

Comment

I kinda am too.
                    I can really produce the live oaks, but I would really love some white oaks
                    If my farm has none, does it mean they probably won't grow there?
                    Combination of live creek bottom and sandy hills in Leon co.

BP

Comment

Growing Oaks from Acorns

Edit, back to tree talk. Not wanting to high jack

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                        I kinda am too.
                        I can really produce the live oaks, but I would really love some white oaks
                        If my farm has none, does it mean they probably won't grow there?
                        Combination of live creek bottom and sandy hills in Leon co.

BP
                        If you want to try I have a lot of left over White Oak acorns. I would be glad to ship you some.

Comment

We do it all the time. We grow all of our oaks for our landscape and retail nursery here in San Angelo. It is very rewarding

Comment

I'm in. We are planning on planting a bunch this year in Lexington

Comment

I love growing oaks from acorns. I picked up a bunch of shumard oak acorns at he elementary school a few weeks ago and got them in trays.

The best time to plant acorns.....20 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X