Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone stonewashed and acid etched a knife blade before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone stonewashed and acid etched a knife blade before?

Like the title says. Was thinking of trying to stonewashed and acid etch my spyderco. Anyone done it before?

Never done a knife but I had some pretty sweet jeans back in the 80’s that were stone washed. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post
      Never done a knife but I had some pretty sweet jeans back in the 80’s that were stone washed. [emoji846]

Lol
      That's the first thing I thought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you wanting to acid etch the whole blade or doing a design? I etch with ferric chloride I order online and then mix half and half with white vinegar. Can also make ferric by putting steel wool in Hydrochloric acid overnight. I etch for 5 - 10 minutes at a time and neutralize with glass cleaner (ammonia kind) or you can use a baking soda solution. If it's carbon steel blow dry after neutralizing and apply oil immediately after dry without touching with your hands if stainless blow dry and don't touch for 8 hrs then apply oil. You can also etch with coffee grinds

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
          Like the title says. Was thinking of trying to stonewashed and acid etch my spyderco. Anyone done it before?
          How does one stonewash a piece of metal? What does it do?

Comment

Check this out.

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN DISABLED. YES I SAY UMM A LOT. SORRY BUT MAKING VIDEOS IS HARDER THAN IT LOOKS. I WAS JUST TRYING TO GIVE YOU INFORMATION THAT MIGHT BE US...

Comment

Etch whole blade.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter94 View Post

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
                  Lol
                  That's the first thing I thought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Hey me too!
                  We most be like triplets or something :-)

Comment

Etch whole blade.
                    I couldn't get the youtube to load but looks like pre etchant (ferric Chloride) and vinegar and maybe fingernail polish to prevent the action from being etched - I use a 20 ounce plastic soda bottle with the top cut off and slip a T post clip thought the pivot hot and hook it on the bottle to suspend the blade and then poor the acid up to just below the action. The pre echant is from Radio shack but our store closed so I order online. But have used fingernail polish and then remove with acetone or you can use a vinyl dot and then just peel when done. Also after I'm done I boil some water and then add windex about 3 - 4 sprays to a glass of water after removing from heat. Then I spray the blade with windex and submerse in the water windex/water mix - helps to open the steel so every trace of acid is neutralized and the windex gives me the best contrast

Comment

If you still need help shoot me a DM. It’s a pretty simple process.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Man that’s freaking sweet!

Comment

Man that’s freaking sweet!

Thanks!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                          X