Duck Blind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Blind

Folk,s anybody have a PVC duck blind idea? Here's the challenge it needs to float and cover a kayak. I need to be able to shoot from the sitting position in the kayak. Also it does me no good If I can not transport it in the kayak.

I was thinking of the same type of blind for my kayak a while back. I actually settled on something much cheaper and lighter for the rivers I like to duck hunt on around here. I went and got my hands on a roll of camo burlap (4.5'x12'). After some snipping and a handful of small black zip ties I had a form fitting 'slip' that slides over the top of me and the entire kayak and can roll up small enough to fit inside my hatch while paddling. I had enough left over material that I was able to make a ghillie suit poncho that slides over the top of my bulky winter gear. Has turned out to be one the better diy crafts I've done and certainly helped me kill plenty of ducks. I can shoot you some pictures if you're interested in the idea....Also im in to see what you come up with!

Comment

And as far as my gun, I fabricated a couple of ATV gun mounts to fit into the railblaza mounts I have on my yak.

Comment

why do you need it to be floating? Are you planning on hunting open water? I'd assume most of the hunting in Texas would incorporiate some type of natural cover as well. So, would something like this work?
        Kayak

Comment

I am hunting open water. Late last season I saw areas where a species I never got before was hanging out. No natural cover. Relatively shallow but I think floating will work.

Comment

I am using greyish tarps to camoflage the boat to look like water.

Comment

Originally posted by straightGrizzly View Post
              I was thinking of the same type of blind for my kayak a while back. I actually settled on something much cheaper and lighter for the rivers I like to duck hunt on around here. I went and got my hands on a roll of camo burlap (4.5'x12'). After some snipping and a handful of small black zip ties I had a form fitting 'slip' that slides over the top of me and the entire kayak and can roll up small enough to fit inside my hatch while paddling. I had enough left over material that I was able to make a ghillie suit poncho that slides over the top of my bulky winter gear. Has turned out to be one the better diy crafts I've done and certainly helped me kill plenty of ducks. I can shoot you some pictures if you're interested in the idea....Also im in to see what you come up with!
              Post your pics, I would like to see.

Comment

in for this. cool ideas

Comment

In for pics and updates

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I use to hunt out of a camouflaged fishing float tube. I used a piece camouflaged army netting over the top of me. I would use face paint to darken my face. One word of advice is tie you gun to it in case you knock it off the tube.

Comment

Coming from Lake St Clair where you have some the best Diver hunting in the US Punt boat . if you have a small cover your fine pop up and pop them . No one used a Kayak back them but they are popular today

Comment

I've seen guys that use PVC mounted into their rod holders and rail mounts for support. Main thing is to achieve a low enough profile...

Comment

Check out https://momarsh.com/

This is my cousins' company, he's a big time waterfowler. He started designing layout boats about 25 years ago. There are many videos of them slamming mallards at point blank in MO. Anyway, they have a few accessories that might give you some ideas on how to fab your kayak. Seems hard to hunt out of this arrangement to me...you know how ducks will circle you or drift over.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
                            I use to hunt out of a camouflaged fishing float tube. I used a piece camouflaged army netting over the top of me. I would use face paint to darken my face. One word of advice is tie you gun to it in case you knock it off the tube.
                            I did that on t bend back in the day. Whacked the mallards. And yes Tie Your Gun to yourself.

I have a layout blind that does not float that I attach some plastic netting to. Then I attached camo netting and natural cover to the work like a charm.

Something like this

Comment

Working...
                            X