Arrow Weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Weight?

jus got some Alum arrows from cabelas and they guy said i needed the 2117. i had them cut at 30". i was unsure the weight per inch was so i got online and checked. they were 540 grains with a 100 grain point.

so my question is 640 grains too much for my 48 pound bow. Shot them last night. Seemed ok but made alot of noise. The knocks were realy tight so i sanded them down till it was just enuff to hold them on. there seemed to be alot more hand shock. question is this due to arrow weight or the tight knocks?

Easton 2117s are 12 grains per inch so at 30" they would be 360g add in weight for nock, insert and fletching and you are still right at 400g and 100g point would put you at a total of right around 500g and not 640g. Where did you get your information on grains per inch for the 2117s?

To answer your other question, no 640 grains is not too much for a #48 bow. I'm shooting 622g out of a #46 Longbow with no problems.

Comment

must done my math wrong. Never my strong point. its grain per inch x pound of draw?

if they are 500 grains then im good. must be my knocks. i going to shoot in a little but, i will see if that helps. thx bounty hunter

Comment

No, 640 grains shot out of a 48 pound bow isn't too much. My recurve bow is 42# and I shoot 637 grain 2117 arrows out of it.

Comment

Alot of noise? - anything like a 'clank' ? You could be smacking the riser with the arrows if the spine isn't correct. Seeing any significant wear on your rest?

Your weight's fine, you could actually go up if you wanted. You might try getting ahold of some different weight points and testing them to see what flies best.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_B View Post
            must done my math wrong. Never my strong point. its grain per inch x pound of draw?

if they are 500 grains then im good. must be my knocks. i going to shoot in a little but, i will see if that helps. thx bounty hunter
            To figure out the weight of the shaft it is grains per inch (GPI) times length of Arrow. So in your case it would be 12 X 30 = 360 then to get the total weight of the arrow it would be 360 + nock weight + insert weight + fletching weight + point weight. I guessed at your nock, insert and fletching weight to give you a ball pack weight.

Comment

Working...
            X