Moon & 42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moon & 42

I was packing up last night for our annual trip to Beeville for South Zone opener and I ran across my old box of dominoes. These used to stay in the center consol of my truck not knowing when someone was ready to strike up a game of moon or 42. It got me thinking "when was the last time we burned an afternoon between hunts with some dominoes?" Seems everyone (including myself) has their head burried in a cell phone, even the old timers that taught me how to play, ( cost me 100$ in a 5$/5$ moon game, in about 30 minutes). Is this just another traditional thing that will just disapear? I'd like y'alls thoughts.

I'm so tired of cell phones. Deer camp was for hanging out around the fire, playing poker or dominoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
      I'm so tired of cell phones. Deer camp was for hanging out around the fire, playing poker or dominoes.

Yep. Lots of memories staying up too late playing cards and Dominoes. Memories is all they are now

Comment

My dad always had a deck of cards in the center console or in the glove box, in case we got stuck/had a flat/etc, and had some time to burn, we would play gin or battle. I have continued the tradition.

Comment

I wish we did that more often. Miss me a good ol' game of 42 or Moon.

Comment

Originally posted by HC Sniper View Post
            I wish we did that more often. Miss me a good ol' game of 42 or Moon.
            Agreed! When I was in college, we would try and play once a week or so to stay sharp. I need to bring that to deer camp. Could definitely be a fun evening activity!

Comment

We play moon/42/84 weekly. Also play at the lease a lot when its too cold to fiddle around outside.

Comment

Used to love to play Texas 42... played all night long many a time... Haven't played a game in probably 30 years... sad indeed we let such great traditions die like that...

Comment

Grew up playing moon and 42. Then my inlaws got me hooked on pinochle, which in turn got my family hooked on it. Now, pinochle has been the go to game. Growing up, moon was religiously played at family gatherings. You could tell who was playing by how hard they slammed the domino on the table. What I wouldn't give for another round with my grandpa and dad. My uncle, who is 79 has won more quarters off of me and my wife playing moon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
                    x2! Gotta get back to it

Comment

We play 42 all the time. My family gatherings we sit around playing all day. I agree about cell phone all the time is annoying but the cell phone 42 app is pretty sweet if your by yourself. Problem with playing a live game is finding people who know how to play. A lot more people know poker thanks to ESPN coverage of the world series of poker. I love both dominoes and cards and do hope younger generations will keep these games alive in the future.

Comment

Grew up playing and love the game. It is just hard to find enough people that know how to play. Maybe at some point we need to organize a TBH 42 tournament.....

-john

Comment

Glad it's not just me. I'm bringing them and gonna force them to play!! Ha!Especially as bad as the bird hunting is probably gonna be! Harvey is the gift that keeps on giving!!

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                            Grew up playing and love the game. It is just hard to find enough people that know how to play. Maybe at some point we need to organize a TBH 42 tournament.....

-john

That ^^^

Comment

Used to play moom with my dad and grandpa every weekend while we were deer hunting at the farm. Great memories! Took at least half the season every year for me to learn how to play agian. Of course, I was only 8-12 years old at the time. haha
                              Times are changing, too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X