Hamilton County Lease Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hamilton County Lease Potential

This lease that may still be available but we determined it to not fit our needs/desires. The landowner contacted us in response to some signs we put out in the area – I do not believe he is actively trying to lease the property (yet) after recently losing hunters who leased the property the past few years.
    Basic: Hamilton County, just southwest of Shive; 260 acres; three stands/feeders set up now; $2,700/hunter for three; electric hookup available (not water); bass fishing in pond; dry creek running through with trees along it and a pecan bottom area.
    Pros: Seems to have lots of deer in area (we saw 6 or 7 in the middle of an early August day while driving around); 6,000 acre ranch on two sides is very lightly hunted by owners only and 14,000 acre ranch backs up to that ranch; landowner plants food plots to draw deer in; not much pressure; well maintained property; landowner claims 140”+ deer are plentiful.
    Cons: Ends up at $31/acre (but maybe worth that based on deer numbers?); very open; any activity outside of camp will impact hunting areas; cows on property (but seem to have enough grass to not destroy feeders); not many (if any) turkeys; pigs seldom seen (negative to us); only resident dove as no crops planted anywhere around; landowner lives on property and seems to be a micro-manager.
    Actual quote from landowner: “To be completely honest, any landowner leasing to deer hunters wants to get the most money he can from the hunters and have the hunters at the property the least time possible.” I could see that it didn’t sit well with him when I told him I typically hunt 10 or so times per season.
    Property can be viewed if you Google 3550 CR 512, Hamilton, TX. Landowner’s (David Heddin) phone number is 254-372-4466.
    I’m posting this in Around the Campfire as a discussion topic, not in Classifieds as I am not selling anything and I am not associated with this property - we just viewed it while looking for a lease and I wanted to pass along the info.

Up for the lunch crowd.

Comment

That address comes up as a house for sale on Zillow

Comment

There is a lot of deer in that particular area but that sounds like a disaster dealing with the landowner.

Comment

140 plus plentiful is hard to believe for me. Lots of deer around that county, but that quality I would need hard evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
            140 plus plentiful is hard to believe for me.
            My thoughts as well

Original post- Thank you for posting! Someone in need of a place my find this exactly what they are looking for

Comment

Anytime a LO has a hard time with how many times a PAYING hunter hunts should be a red flag.. I can understand him not wanting you to live there but hunting 10 times a year should not be a issue.. ESPECIALLY at $31 per acre..

Comment

I have hunted in Evant and currently hunt in Ireland...their are some good deer in the area, but it all has to do with habitat and neighbors...it doesn't take a lot IMHO to move those deer off to a less pressured area. My previous landowner's father killed a nice deer in the 140's out of Shive a few years back.

We killed a deer or two in the 140's but they weren't everywhere, it is amazing how much the land in that area goes for as far as deer leases go...but I can't blame them for charging it, if someone is willing to pay it.

All the folks I have dealt with in that area have been great to deal with, minus one neighbor...I'm sure the landowners have put up with more from hunter's than the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Dugie View Post
                  I have hunted in Evant and currently hunt in Ireland...their are some good deer in the area, but it all has to do with habitat and neighbors...it doesn't take a lot IMHO to move those deer off to a less pressured area.
                  The landowner claims that his are the only food plots anywhere around and the deer flock to his property from surrounding properties. Claims the 'traffic' is heavy across his property. There isn't much cover to hold them for bedding, etc., however.

Comment

If he doesn't have cover then these deer will feed at night in the plots. Should make for some good trailcam pictures, but tough hunting. esp. if you are trying to cram 3 people into limited space.

Comment

I hunted this place years ago. David doesn't own the place, he leases it to keep a buffer around his own place and hunters. I'm happy to share my experiences if you are interested

Comment

Originally posted by DEKE View Post
                        I hunted this place years ago. David doesn't own the place, he leases it to keep a buffer around his own place and hunters. I'm happy to share my experiences if you are interested
                        Yes, we are interested

Comment

[QUOTE=2B4Him;13530387] landowner claims 140”+ deer are plentiful.
                          QUOTE]

I am going to call BS unless he has a different definition of "plentiful."....

Comment

Originally posted by DEKE View Post

Rut-Roh!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Double D,
                              David is a likable guy, but he was a bit of a used car salesman. When I first went to look at the property he didn't even have a key to the gate. He had to lift it off the supports to let me in. It was an old lady's place that borders his home and ranch that he was taking care of. He also told me the big field out front would be planted in oats. That never happened. In fact, a different person managed the cows on the place and they could care less about the hunters. They came in to feed the cows when ever they wanted.
                              After I set up my stands, Dave told me I was too close to his property line and I needed to move it. Turns out, he had one of his hunters stands just across the fence basically looking over our pasture. There are a lot of deer that run between the properties and I easily saw 20+ each hunt and 5-6 bucks per hunt. I never saw a 140 inch buck out there, but we did shoot several 120 inch bucks over the two years I leased from him.
                              Dave talks about all the management he does, but he got ****** off at me for shooting a 5.5 year old 8 pointer. That's when I realized he wasn't the Management Expert he claimed to be. He also tended to show up in camp quite a bit. No big deal, but he was a bit of a micro manger and he always found something wrong that we were doing. I also believe his hunters are on Level 3 MLD tags so they got to start gun hunting October 1st. He didn't include our lease on the MLD. Basically, we were the redheaded step children that he used to buffer his own property IMO.
                              The big field is a great spot and I had another stand at the far end of the property near the 5000k acres he says is unhunted. That's not true either. The neighbor didn't have stands over there, but they did drive around and shoot deer out of trucks. Our third spot was on top of the hill that is rocky and a pain in the *** to fill feeders. We never killed anything out of that stand and the neighbors to the back side hunt pretty hard.
                              All in all I had a good experience hunting there but it was my first place of my own. I moved on to better places after two seasons. 3 hunting spots is really pushing it for that property. For the same money, I was able to move to 15 miles South and hunt a much larger ranch with MLD tags.
                              If you don't want to put up with a big camp where you can be the person in control, this might be a decent lease for you. Just don't think you are going to be killing "trophy" deer out of that place. There were plenty of doves, a few turkey, and you will see deer every hunt. There isn't a lot of bedding areas on this place so the deer come from the neighboring properties. Lots of action along those creeks and draws during the rut, but then it's just the same "home" deer you see at feeders after the rut. There is an old house that was falling in, but it did have electricity for you to hook up a camper. There is an old windmill with pump, but the water wasn't potable. So, we had to bring in our own water.
                              Don't want to bag on David too bad. I would do the exact same thing if I was in his shoes and had a property next door that I wanted to control. I just want you guys to be able to balance the expectation he creates with what that lease will actually deliver. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X