Death wobble about got me!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
    We have a fleet of 60 Ford trucks. When the death wobble starts, we rotate or replace the tires and ensure proper inflation, problem solved. It’s usually a tire pressure issue. Got a crap ton of letters in the mail from Ford for each truck just a couple of weeks ago and everything lead to tire pressure.
    Then it wasn't really the death wobble just a shaky steering wheel.

Comment

I’ve never experienced the so called “death wobble”, but I ask the dealer to check track bars etc on the front end every oil change. They fixed my 2011 F350 at about 80k (now has 113k), but my 2011 F250 still has little to no wear at 130k.

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
        Steering stabilizer is just a bandaid, something is loose/wore out...tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm bushings, track bar bushings, etc.
        x2

Comment

and a lifted vehicle will see it sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post

Oh it was the death wobble, trust me. Saw it with my own eyes one day. Let me tell you. It was hilarious lol. That truck looked like a stripper bouncing to some fast paced beats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My pucker factor goes up every time a motorcycle is near my truck or I am near cement road barriers

Comment

What everyone else said, steering stab is just a band aid. Habe your suspension gone over w a fine tooth comb, most likely track bar bushings/ball joint

Comment

Death wobble about got me!!

You can rebuild the entire front end but if the track bar is bad and you don't replace the mount or the bar or both it will still wobble. Track bar has nothing to do with tire pressure or alignment or balanced tires. Rotation won't help. Track bar keeps the dif housing aligned with the frame if it's bad that is your only solution. Violent shaking is almost always track bar or mount. You should be able to have it done for less than $400 I did mine and parts were $200. From ford and I replaced the bar and bracket. Problem solved. It is the cheapest easiest option, and only option if track bar is bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                    I had a '12 that shook so bad that a fella stopped my better half at a red light and asked her if she was aware her front tires were shaking bad lol

Took it to the shop and low and behold it was the tire pressure. I couldn't believe it...felt like a idiot lol

Comment

I have been dealing with this for a while. Any bump at about 50mph or above and the pucker factor would go up because I was never sure when the truck would start shuddering. There is a service bulletin out by Ford saying that the cause of the DW is the steering stabilizer. So I replaced the steering stab with a Rancho one. Yea, that must have been a joke because it seemed worse. Replaced the Rancho one with a Motorcraft. It got better, but not good by any means.

When that didn't fix the issue I ordered the ball joint and bushing replacements. Before I could get them installed I saw a letter sent out stating that it was tire pressure. I checked the front air pressure and the left front was 65 and right front was 50 (suppose to be 80). Once back at proper pressure I haven't had an issue. I'm still going to replace the bushing and ball joint on the track bar since I have them already.

Comment

My 2014 350 had the Death Wobble with about 40K on it. Took it to Ford and they replaced a lot of front end stuff and haven't experienced it since.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                          If you had death wobble, you will need to replace much more than stabilizer as ball joints and tie rods will be shot.
                          Yeah, like the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                            Moog parts only!
                            I agree with this.

I had the death wobble and replaced the stabilizer, tie rod ends, ball joints, shocks and put some new tires on it and no more death wobble.

Comment

the price we pay to drive one !nothing is cheap.

Comment

Track bar bushing!

Comment

Working...
                                X