Alaskan Moose Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alaskan Moose Hunt

I was lucky enough to get the invite to join my Brother in Law, his dad, and their friend on a 2 week Alaskan Moose Hunt. This will be a DIY hunt, but with the odds of great success. They’ve been going every other year for the past 10 years and have rarely come home eating tag soup.

We will be flying in to Anchorage, Alaska on September 10th. Upon arrival, we will pick up our rental truck (we opted for a truck with a camper shell to store all of our gear and belongings for the drive out to Tok). After picking up the truck, we will head to our Air bnb house to drop off all our gear that is being flown in a week prior through Alaskan Air. We then will pick up the Teepee’s, stve, and other gear from a friend’s house in Anchorage. Most of the camp gear is left at a friend’s house year round in exchange for some meat. This definitely helps with shipping costs and knowing we have most of the gear needed already in Alaska is a huge bonus.

We plan on using the garage of the house we are renting for a couple nights in Anchorage to lay out all gear and re-pack. The goal is to get things separated out so that gear will fit in the super cub planes. We will pick up our hunting licenses at Cabela’s in Anchorage as well.

We take off early Wednesday morning (September 13th) and make the 7 hour drive up and over to Tok. Gear will then get checked in at 40-Mile Air. We have one night in Tok, then the adventure begins. Each of us will be in a Super Cub and make the hour long plane ride out to our “top secret” hunting grounds. I cannot disclose our location as I have been promised I’d be “bear bait”.

The goal is to get the job done with a bow, but will have a couple rifles in case we can’t get within bow range.

I’ve been hiking with my pack the past 4 months. 3 miles a day with anywhere from 30-50 pounds of weight in my pack. I think I’m ready, but we shall see soon enough.

We will have an inReach in which I can report back each day as to how the hunting is going, but won’t have much ability to make phone calls. My goal is to send a quick update to PRPechek or rsquared each day (in the evenings) to update the thread. We will have a sat phone, but will be limited to short calls here and there and for emergencies (or when we need a moose flown out of the forest).

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I'll answer the best that I can.

It will be 14 days of hunting.

Comment

The Tok area is a target rich environment. I've hunted with a native guy up there on the Tanana river. Good luck!!

Comment

Greatness

Comment

This is on my bucket list although I definitely want to take a good bull with my bow. Some of the hunting videos I've seen are incredible and I can only imagine having a huge bull moose up close and personal. Best of luck to y'all and please do a follow up hunt recap when you return to civilization. Man I'm jealous.

Comment

In for the hunt, good luck!

Comment

So you have a night in the Tok metropolis. I assume you'll be staying at Young's Motel. And before you leave to the bush, make sure you grab a pizza at Fast Eddie's. I had a couple of clients in Tok, and every time I went up there (couple times a year) I had orders to bring back uncooked pizzas for folks in our office. I would often come back to Anchorage with 15-20 pizzas in the back seat of my car. But that was before Moose's Tooth opened.

For the best Pizza on the planet, go to Moose's Tooth in Anchorage. Great Pizza and Great Beer! You can thank me later.

Comment

Originally posted by quarterback View Post
                This is on my bucket list although I definitely want to take a good bull with my bow. Some of the hunting videos I've seen are incredible and I can only imagine having a huge bull moose up close and personal. Best of luck to y'all and please do a follow up hunt recap when you return to civilization. Man I'm jealous.
                Thank you. I definitely want to get it done with the bow as well. The feeling of having bull moose within bow range should be intense. I'll be the only one shooting compound (as they would call it, bow with training wheels), so I would think my odds are the best as I have a bit more distance on them with the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by str8shooter View Post
                  So you have a night in the Tok metropolis. I assume you'll be staying at Young's Motel. And before you leave to the bush, make sure you grab a pizza at Fast Eddie's. I had a couple of clients in Tok, and every time I went up there (couple times a year) I had orders to bring back uncooked pizzas for folks in our office. I would often come back to Anchorage with 15-20 pizzas in the back seat of my car. But that was before Moose's Tooth opened.

For the best Pizza on the planet, go to Moose's Tooth in Anchorage. Great Pizza and Great Beer! You can thank me later.
                  I've been to Moose's Tooth a couple of times. I love their pizza too! Great beer as well. I'll have to stop by Fast Eddie's. Thank you for the top

Comment

Originally posted by ROBINHOOD11 View Post
                    In for the hunt, good luck!
                    I'll try and keep it somewhat lively. LDP's (God willing) will come after we get out of the bush. We have 4 GoPro's and 2 DSLR cameras with decent lenses. The goal is to film as much as we can and get the footage edited so that we end up with some great memories and a great glimpse of the trip/adventure.

Comment

Very Cool! I will be keeping up with this one.

Comment

All meals have are complete. My BIL and his father make all of our meals before the trip. Everything gets cooked, prepped, and dehydrated. The first couple of days we will use fresh produce we bring in from Anchorage, but the rest will be the prepped meals. We end up eating like kings.

I'll be in Alaska in less than 5 days. I feel like it won't come soon enough...

Comment

sounds fun

Comment

If you want to kill one with a bow commit to it and go for it. I wouldn't blame you for using a rifle though.

Best of luck!

Comment

awesome adventure in the making!

Comment

Working...
                              X