No announcement yet.

Kids and access to firearms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It depends on the kids. But you also have to consider other kids that visit your house.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      It depends on the kids. But you also have to consider other kids that visit your house.
      Now that's something I'd never considered. Thank you for that.

Comment

Kids are different. I can load every firearm in the house, lay them out of the floor and turn my daughter loose. She wouldn't do more than step over them. She knows what they are, and what they can do. She also knows that they aren't toys. She's 7 and it's been like that forever. My son is 3 and knows you don't play with them. He loves them though. Both are after me to teach them to shoot.

Comment

Like many of y’all I grew up being exposed to guns and they were never locked up but I was educated from a young age about the seriousness of weapons
          And the irreversible affects of them my brother and I were able to use 22s at a young age without supervision and we never had any issues because we were taught right I don’t lock my guns up and my son (age 6) will tell you the policy on the guns and has never touched a gun with out asking permission and I wouldn’t have any kids in my house unsupervised that didn’t live there. What it comes down to is Education and exposure. I trust my 6 year old son with a weapon more than some “adults “ that are ignorant to guns

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
            Get rid of the curiosity.
            This for sure. First time I ever saw a gun up close was when I was 5 and found my mom's loaded pistol in her nightstand. That could've ended really badly, because I thought it was a toy and didn't understand what it could do.

If you own guns, assume you're going to screw up and leave one out, and make sure your kids know proper safe handling.

Comment

My dads guns were in a closet and always loaded. He always said, “An unloaded gun will kill you”. It took me a long time to figure out what that meant.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                By the time they were 7, 8, I'd ask if they wanted to see them and they'd say no. The curiosity was gone. They knew what they were, they had used many of them or watched me use them, and were no longer fascinated by them.
                My daddy musta done somethin wrong cuz I'm a little older than 8 and still fascinated with guns.

Comment

I had access to the guns starting around 10 or 11; the gun cabinet key was kept in a drawer in my room. My pellet gun was in the same cabinet as all the other guns and I probably went in there on a daily basis. I used to even pull out some of the guns and show my friends in middle school, doubt either of our parents knew although Mom and Dad seemed to always know more than they would let on. Knowledge is power, especially when it comes to guns.

Comment

I was raised up around guns and was taught about them and not to mess with them unless supervised by my dad.

when my kids were young I introduced them to guns and showed them how to operate them. I also showed them what they can do to you. put a watermelon out and let them shoot it, they get introduced to reality pretty quick. never had any problems with them.

Comment

Working...
                    X