Tree Chiggers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tree Chiggers?

Several times while sititng in my ladder stand on nighttime pig hunts, I have felt something biting my a##--under or thru my clothes. I get home and I have 5-6 bites in an area the size of a half-dollar. Itch just as bad as chiggers, but I've never felt them bite nor had the bites concentrated in such a small area. They last about 6-7 days.

I can get some temp relief by spraying bug killer on my stand seat and on the trunk behind the seat-
    Found this on-line but bite location doesn't jive completely.

Itching for an answer? That chigger-like bite on your neck or chest probably is from an explosion of oak tree gall mites falling from the trees and floating on the

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by dustoffer; 07-19-2017, 09:10 PM.

... you got me... doesn't sound like chiggers, you don't typically feel the chigger bite.

Comment

Sounds like you're being bit by "kissing bugs". Look them up, they ca carry something called chagas disease. Had the same thing happen to me hunting hogs in warmer months.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman89 View Post
        Sounds like you're being bit by "kissing bugs". Look them up, they ca carry something called chagas disease. Had the same thing happen to me hunting hogs in warmer months.
        Hope not! Those things are nasty not good. Plus, you should feel those under your clothes.

Yes, you can spray permethrin or bifen. Those will take out most insects.

Comment

Not kissing bugs----there has never been a visible bug anytime it has happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
            Hope not! Those things are nasty not good. Plus, you should feel those under your clothes.

Yes, you can spray permethrin or bifen. Those will take out most insects.
            In my experience, they don't have to get beneath your clothes. They got themselves between me and the tree I was leaned up against while sitting on my ladder stand. They bit me right through my clothing. The bites felt and left marks just like the OP described. I've been paranoid ever since it happened!

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Golly, I wish I hadn't opened this thread. I will have the heebie-jeebies for weeks! I swear I have PTSD when it comes to chigger bites.

Comment

mites

Comment

Now you get the caterpillars and the mites from oaks trees, this does suck.

Comment

Sounds like butt worms

Comment

I've been eaten alive by chiggers this year so I feel your pain! I can't figure out where I keep getting into them at though

Comment

Was back out reinstalling the hog trap top feeder this morning and sprayed down the tree and stand. Next trip will tell.

Comment

Blue Star ointment usually takes care of it.

Comment

We got into something like that last fall in Arkansas. First thought spiders, then maybe bedbugs, then fleas. They looked and quacked like chiggers, just didnt bite in the same places. We got them raking and picking up oak leaves.

Comment

Working...
                              X