No announcement yet.

A Few More East Texas Turkey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting there are a bunch of folks with turkeys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
      As in from civil war? That's cool!

No it's from the 60's man!!! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Best of luck to the birds, hope they are a success.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
          No it's from the 60's man!!! [emoji2]

Lmao!!![emoji12] I just snorted outta my nose on that one!!!
          That would be the one!!![emoji6]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Sorry bud I can't help it. [emoji51]

Comment

As a NWTF member that does not turkey hunt I love to see our conservation dollars being put to work!!! Well played sir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

I know it's a long ways from the east Texas that you are talking about, but we've been seeing turkeys in limestone county off an on for the last 20 or so years. I remember being told as a kid(early 90's) that tp&w had stocked some. I wonder how hard it'd be to ask a biologist that knows or cares to talk about them, if there was a possibility of stocking them in other counties than the ones with tall pines.

Comment

I was invited to a stocking of 8 Easterns today within the Angelina National Forest. The birds came from Iowa, West Virginia and I believe Missouri. The stocking was in support of a Super Stocking (80+ birds) completed in the same spot last year. The turkey stocked today ALL have radio transmitters which will be used to enable biologists to track where they go, monitor nests and also study predation should any of the birds get whacked.

If you hunt in or around Angelina Forest you may see birds with radio transmitters on them. Some of the birds stocked last year traveled a good distance. One hen released in the Angelina Forest last year traveled to and successfully nested near Colmeneil in Tyler County.

The odds are stacked against Easterns in the habitat of Eastern Texas. The biologist explained to me rat snakes and coons were a major issue on nesting success. Sounds like our bobcats like to eat turkey as well. We are optimistic that these birds with radio transmitters will shed some more light.

If you have a lease in Angelina, Jasper or Tyler County keep your eye out and give these birds a break...they aren't cheap. And do tell your East Tx uncle that the radio transmitters still transmit even after they are tossed in a lake.

I would love to hear some Deep East Texas turkey sighting stories. My place in Barnum (Polk) is a nada. 🦃

[ATTACH]843886[/ATTACH]
                  A hen about to get released.
                  This is super cool! How did you get the invite? Is there anything I can do to help?

I hunt Angelina NF and shot a pig this year, hope that helps!

Comment

I see a couple every year while flying around for work. Last year we saw 6 in one day north of lake livingston. Have also seen them in Broaddus and by the north end of Toledo Bend. I hope they grow in population they are cool birds.

Comment

My family lives in Jones Country east of Colmesneil on 255 and has some more land north of Colmesneil on 69. There has been multiple sightings of a group of about 4 hens at both locations. I've got a trail pic of the group from this year from next door to my moms.

I hope they make a come back and we can have a season again. When we had a couple seasons when I was in high school, I called one up and missed. I'm 0-1 on east Texas turkeys and need to make that better

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
                        This is super cool! How did you get the invite? Is there anything I can do to help?

What, in the blue hell, does a hog have to do with releasing turkeys?

Comment

What, in the blue hell, does a hog have to do with releasing turkeys?

Hogs eat turkey eggs.

Comment

Hogs eat turkey eggs.

I was hoping that's where you was goin with it.

Comment

I got the invite because I if my involvement with the NWTF and my Appalachian Trail fundraiser for the Eastern birds. The stockings were limited this winter. Evidently it is tougher to trap them in mild winters as they do not group up as much.

The help we all can do is spread awareness. East Tx was once filled with Eastern Turkey. Now granted, the habitat has changed, but as one member pointed out, managing land better (fire) and just making people aware that the effort is going on helps and join the NWTF.

I personally think some people are not aware that Texas has a crazy population of Rio Grande Turkeys but the Eastern Turkey population needs help. Sometimes they get lumped into one catagorey. I definitely read the threads on here of people having TOO many turkey. These are the Rio Grande subspecies out west.

Comment

I was hoping that's where you was goin with it.

Glad I could help you?

Back to how I can help OP!

Comment

Working...
                                X