Hunting Sam Houston NF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting Sam Houston NF

New to site so please excuse me for being a little redundant with these questions. How is the deer hunting on Sam Houston? Specifically looking at bow only areas and I read what was already posted but looking for some new input. Scouted Sunday, saw lots of sign, tracks, acorns, etc but no rubs.
    I looked in several different areas inside and outside of the archery areas.Is it too early? Thought by now there would be some. How is the hunter traffic, I no it will be heavy but how heavy? Is it worth pursuing or would my time be better spent on some of the other public access properties? I live in Clear Lake so Sam is close. Are there areas of Sam that get less traffic than others?

Thanks for the help!

The most heavily hunted is the area above Montgomery. The least hunted is the area south of Coldspring {I think that's highway 2025} and north of Cleveland. Much less traffic than the north part of lake conroe. Also, i understand it is still to early for rubs. they start in mid-late october in the National forest. Woody

Comment

Thanks for the informatin. The lady I spoke to at the Headquarters also stated the crowds were smaller in the areas you mentioned. I read your post from the other Sam thread.

Comment

I'll be hunting the eastern areas of the SHNF this season. Much less traffic than the other side of I-45. I'm honestly just hoping to fill a doe tag. A buck would be a big surprise. I usually see the deer moving in the middle of the day. I have yet to see one move before 9:30 am in the 4 years I have been hunting out there. They pattern the hunters pretty well.

Comment

Big Brass,

When did you get a doe tag? I thought those were not available till sometime in Oct.

Comment

Does are legal during archery season without the tag. You only need the tag to take a doe during gun season. I am applying for that also just in case I don't get one during bow season.

Check this link and scroll down to where it says "Antlerless Deer Permits". They are not required during the Archery only season.
            Last edited by Big Brass; 09-28-2007, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Yep, you're right. Thanks for the tip.

I am in Kingwood also. Have you had much luck in SHNF?

Comment

Big Brass

I guess I'll check out that area. I am also considering hunting the bow only area just North of Huntsville State Park. Have you seen any rubs yet this year?

Comment

Agsfight,

I've had bad luck deer hunting. I've seen plenty of deer but they have been either out of range, out of season, I've had the wrong equipment (shotgun squirrel hunting during archery season) or I did not have doe tags during general season. Somehow, there has always been some reason why I can't close the deal. Hopefully this year things will come together. What part of Kingwood are you in? I've lived in Mills Branch Village for the last 6 years. I'm also an Aggie, Class of '96.

txterp, I have located a rub line from last year but there is no evidence of any rubbing this year. There are several trails converging in a group of oak trees and lots of smaller trees with old rubs. I'll be concentrating here. I have also found a secondary area with lots of oaks and acorns. There are no signs of rubs but plenty of tracks and droppings. The deer are definitely there. I just need to time it right to connect.

Comment

Big Brass........you hitting it in the morning? Weather says it will be windy!

Comment

Nope, I am in Lima, Peru stuck in a hotel right now. I travel a lot for work and ended up here for the week. I don't get back to Houston until about 7am Sunday after an all night flight. I won't get to hunt until the second weekend of archery season. Here's me on Wednesday at about 12,000' up in the Peruvian Andes. Yes, those are clouds in the mountains behind me.

Comment

what line of work!

Comment

I work as a tech services rep for a drilling fluids company. I service the water well, horizontal directional drilling, minerals exploration, construction, and pond sealing industries. Basically any type of drilling not involved in oil. We have a new product specifically suited to remote locations where conservation of water usage is pertinent. That's why I am in Peru. It took 9 hours by truck along a two lane goat path through the mountains to get to this location.

Comment

I sell valves to the petro industry on 225 in Houston. Glad I don't travel.
                            They have some pretty good hunting in Argentina don't know about Peru.

Comment

I used to work for a little company called Hydrochem off 225 and Center Street. I may have picked up some valves from you in in the past. I know the wingshooting in Argentina is supposed to be awesome. I don't know about the hunting in Peru. I did get to pet a very tame and fat whitetail deer doe in the parking lot of the Garza Hotel in Chiclayo, Peru this morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X