Canoe or Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canoe or Kayak

I have an old aluminum canoe that we use once or twice a year - but I own it. My MIL bought youth kayaks for my boys earlier this year, and now the wife wants one. Should I sell my canoe and join the club? For those of you that have had both, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my alumacraft canoe but I believe the Kayak is more versatile for fishing and hunting. There is just something about loading some gear in a canoe and paddling a lake or river and fishing and camping.

Comment

I personally prefer a canoe. I can take all the gear I want with me or just travel light. It also doubles as a great shelter in a down pour

Comment

Canoe or Kayak

Originally posted by skooter View Post
        I have an old aluminum canoe that we use once or twice a year - but I own it. My MIL bought youth kayaks for my boys earlier this year, and now the wife wants one. Should I sell my canoe and join the club? For those of you that have had both, which do you prefer and why?

Thanks,
        Skooter

I don’t own either but I don’t know of anyone personally that fishies out of a canoe and know a pile of people that Kayak fish.

Comment

Get the kayak, all the cool guys have them. Just kidding, I have had a canoe and didn't care for it at all. Sold it after a couple uses. Now I want a native water craft Titan 13.5 in a bad way. ( i know, iam not a cool kid). But the kayak really does look like the way to go now days, shoot they have bass tournements out of them( part of why I want one) , stand and fish, that's what I didn't like about the canoe, just moving in the thing felt like you were going swimming.. But **** they cost a lot( at least the one I want does) , for a piece of plastic. My votes kayak.

Comment

Doesn't it depend upon what you want to do with it?

If you wan't to do long river trips (overnight) a canoe to hold supplies might be beneficial.

If it's just for fishing, a kayak may be better.

Comment

Get a boat that is a little of both and has the advantages of both. That would be the Native Ultimate, very light, and lots of room and a lot like a canoe.

Comment

Depends on what you will primarily use it for. Canoes and kayaks have the pros and cons. If solo, I'd say a yak or one of the hybrids like a nucanoe. If with two people or long trips, I'd go with a traditional canoe.

Comment

I've had both.
                  Canoes are more utilitarian and great for lakes.
                  White water, surf or ocean, a kayak.

I prefer a canoe.
                  My 70 lb. Grumman seats 3 (with the removable gunwale seat added) and holds 900 lbs of Dads, boys and gear.
                  I also prefer sitting in a canoe with my knees bent than sitting flat in a kayak.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TD%20bass.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	24544016

Name:	TL-Bass-reduced.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	24544017

Name:	3-22-2006-RS1.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	24544018

For paddling around a local lake, a camping trip with the family and fishing, a canoe is hard to beat and you already have one.

If all your family has kayaks and you are in the canoe, with the cooler, everybody's crap and a wife that doesn't want to help paddle, a new kayak might be best.

I loved my kayak in the surf and in the bays, but sold it.
                  I'm keeping the canoe.
                  Hope this helps.

Comment

DEPENDS.. There are kayaks out there that will do anything and everything you want them to and there are ones that are pretty specialized. There are kayaks that will carry every piece of gear you can need or want as well. Ask the folks that take the long river trips up the devils or the duck hunters that carry their decoys, dog, guns, ect. There are kayaks with sit flat on your tail with legs sprawled as clark said, but there are MANY kayaks now with stadium style seats that are incredibly comfortable. All depends on what you want to spend.

Comment

If you’re solo fishing I’d say a kayak all the way. Another cool thing is fishing with kayaking friends. If you want 2 or 3 people I’d say keep the canoe. I love bay fishing in my kayak and am still looking for a huge fish to give me a sleigh ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                        Get a boat that is a little of both and has the advantages of both. That would be the Native Ultimate, very light, and lots of room and a lot like a canoe.
                        This is exactly what I was going to say. Was going to buy a sit on top kayak... took my son with me to a Austin Canoe and Kayak event and ended up settling on an Native Ultimate instead. Has all the advantages of both. Fit more gear, 2 people, or setup for 1, paddled like a yak, etc... plus you can stand in it.

Comment

If you go kayak, take a look at the nucanoe frontier. It's more of a hybrid canoe/kayak. I love mine. Holds lots of gear and can be customized. I hunt out of mine for deer and ducks, and I bass fish out of it in the spring and summer.

Comment

Thanks all. I think I’ll just stick with the canoe for most of the reasons mentioned above. I can keep up with the boys in their kayaks for the time being, and can haul the cooler and other odds and ends.

I still have ambitions to do a river float trip sometime.

Skooter

Comment

I prefer the canoe because of all the gear I can bring

Comment

Working...
                              X