No announcement yet.

Best V8 Engine Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tundra here. 200,000 miles without a problem. I get 17+, but most of my driving is highway.

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
      Not in ours. We did have slightly bigger tires, but not 3mpg less bigger. If you get 16 I would hold onto that truck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      90% of my miles are 37 from SA to Corpus at 80 mph.

Comment

Tundra

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
          Outstanding Power Plant IMHO

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
            Tundra
            I am far from a engine guy but I deaux know in having a plethora of large engine SUV's and Trucks your simple remark is spot on. My 5.7 is just scary...…….race car scary!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	84E2F68B-4959-47A5-B5C6-5733862DDAA3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	24542502

Tundra with 7” BDS lift 35x12.5 on 20x12 wheels. 10.9 miles per gallon.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                Tundra
                I have heard great things about the 5.7 of course. I've looked at the Tundra hard but just can't get past the exterior look of them...just not a fan. I know this thread is about best v8 engine but that's my hang up on the Tundra. lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                  2000 GMC 5.3 I bought in August 1999-is still strong I had the transmission rebuilt 2 years ago. I put new intake gaskets in myself. Paint is ruined. I'm on my third fuel pump. In 2012 rebuilt my HVAC my self and its chunkin snowballs. Pulls my boat and get me to work and the country no issues. I do my own maintenance myself plugs fuel,air,oil and filter. I love not having a payment on two 5.3's wife's 07tahoe is awesome too. I will admit the new ones have me salivating. If its totaled or catastrophic failure occurs I'm going GMC Denali HD.
                  I’m in this club with my 99 Sierra 5.3. Still on the first transmission and I’ll probably rebuild it when it finally craps out. Replaced one pulley and brakes all around in the last year and thats the only major stuff I’ve had to do besides tires.

Edit: forgot to add I’ve had to replace both window motors a couple of times but it took me a $40 Amazon prt and 45 minutes per side.

Comment

Originally posted by NBK75 View Post
                    Tundra with 7” BDS lift 35x12.5 on 20x12 wheels. 10.9 miles per gallon.
                    Nice looking rig. Does the BDS and wheels cause the fuel efficiency to fall like that??? I get 18 on my 5.7.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                      I have heard great things about the 5.7 of course. I've looked at the Tundra hard but just can't get past the exterior look of them...just not a fan. I know this thread is about best v8 engine but that's my hang up on the Tundra. lol

I hear ya. I don't love the look of them, but I wanted longevity and I have gotten it from my Toyota.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                        Nice looking rig. Does the BDS and wheels cause the fuel efficiency to fall like that??? I get 18 on my 5.7.
                        Thanks and yes and I put a KN cold air intake and duel exhaust so I’m a little foot heavy because I love the sound.

Comment

5.3 gets my vote..

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                            It has been awhile since I have bought a new truck (well new to me). I'm still driving my 2005 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 Vortec engine and sitting at 242k right now...still running strong. Exterierly and interierly I have beat the snot out of this truck so time to grab something else. I will probably keep my old one for doing dirty work.

What engine have y'all had good luck with? I will probably buy used, something from 2012-2016. I would get a diesel but cant justify the maintenance cost and I hardly pull anything. Not really sold on a specific make/model so semi open there. Thanks.

With that kind of luck out of the 5.3 why look elsewhere? Also - the newer motors are gonna shock you with the increased HP & torque. I drive Fords but if I were in your shoes I'd stick with the Chevy!

Comment

They are all pretty solid. Drive them all and buy the one you like most or can get the best deal on.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                                With that kind of luck out of the 5.3 why look elsewhere? Also - the newer motors are gonna shock you with the increased HP & torque. I drive Fords but if I were in your shoes I'd stick with the Chevy!
                                Very true...I've just been out of the truck buying experience for quite some time. From the sound of it, they are all solid. I guess it just boils down to personal preference on make/model.

Comment

Working...
                                X