• Show
Clear All

School me on Raising pigs

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
    What ever you decide make sure the pen is down wind

I live in midland, downwind changes constantly 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Give them plenty of room and they won’t stink or root much. Heritage breeds are more grazers/scavengers given plenty of room and the right conditions but if you pour the feed to them they will get lazy and only eat that just like modern breeds. You can keep pigs in a single hot wire when they get big enough but it needs to be HOT. They don’t like to ride the lightning. If they get out one way once you will have to fix it twice as well to keep them from doing it again they are very smart animals. I don’t know if you will be able to depend a lot on natural forage to get a pig fat in midland. Would take a lot of supplemental feeding I would guess.
      Last edited by Etxnoodler; 05-28-2018, 09:40 PM.

Comment

This guy just wondered into one of my employee’s next door neighbor’s pool in Houston today. Must be a pet, it acts like a dog. It comes to you, follows you, his son n law picked it up and held it without it making a sound. Tame as can be. Said they were taking it to an animal shelter.
        I told him just to take it to see Mr Weber! [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          But beware, a man that likes to rent pigs, he's hard to stop

Comment

I love pigs. Great smart animals that Taste great! Here is Big Momma. She a hamp cross and was bred by my Berk boar. She should farrow later next month.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
              This guy just wondered into one of my employee’s next door neighbor’s pool in Houston today. Must be a pet, it acts like a dog. It comes to you, follows you, his son n law picked it up and held it without it making a sound. Tame as can be. Said they were taking it to an animal shelter.
              I told him just to take it to see Mr Weber! [emoji23]
              Looks like a pot belly pig.

Comment

Raised wild hogs as a kid. We had a barn with an attached pen. 2 3/8” pipe with hog panel to keep them in. Never had any real issues. Well except that one time Dad’s friend dropped off a wild boar and forgot to tell him. A wild hog grain fed at the end is the best eating you can get! Buddy had one that ran loose. Tasted just as good, but tore up everything. Even at 250lbs it thought it was a lap dog.

Comment

Raising a “few” pigs and growning a small plot of corn are two of the most un-costeffective endeavors a man can take up.

Turkey hunting is the other, I think a butterball is about 49 cents a pound and better than the wild turkey.

Best of luck

Comment

I raised 6 one year. Never again it wasn't cost effective. By the time they were large enough to butcher, I probably had 10$ a pound in them.

Comment

My Daughter had show pigs from the time she was old enough to show them until she was a senior in high school we usually had 3 to 4 every year 2 for show and 2 back up. If done right they don't smell but that will take work i kept them on concrete with ceder shavings and no this is not cost effective but the meat is way better than any store bought pork. What you feed them will make a world of difference in the flavor of the meat high protein show pig feed makes them taste awful. Cheap sow feed mixed with extra corn is best.

Comment

Working...
                      X